Friday, May 27, 2011

How Do My Wishes Come True

   “Hey Jake!” called Midge as she pranced up the sidewalk to the porch.
   “Hi there Midge,” said Jake as he came around the corner of the house.
   “Happy Birthday Jake,” smiled Midge.
   Jake jumped up into the lounge chair. “You remembered.”
   “Sure. I always remember your birthday Jake.  Do you have some wishes for your birthday?” asked Midge.
   “I hadn’t thought about it,” said Jake.  “Can I wish for anything?  And how do my wishes come true?”
    “I don’t know,” said Midge.  “I heard my mistress telling her little niece when it was her birthday, that if she blew all the candles out in one blow, that all her wishes would come true.”
    “I don’t think my mistress will give me candles to blow out,” said Jake.  “She has never given me any before.  I don't even get a birthday cake.”
    “I think they are for humans,” said Midge.  “We don’t get to blow out any candles.  Maybe Booker-T can find us some candles in all the trash cans he used to dig through when he lived on the streets.   He will know where to look for some.”
    "Let's go find him," said Jake.
    "He wasn't home this morning," said Midge.  "Let's go to the cafe where he used to stay.  He likes to go back there sometimes."
    Jake and Midge ran down the sidewalk and headed up to the main street in search of Booker-T.  They checked every little corner of all the buildings but found nothing.
   “Hey you two,” called a bit black cat who was sitting on the fence. “Are you two looking for Booker-T?”
   “Do you know where he is?” asked jake.
   “He was headed for the park a little while ago,” he answered.
   “Thank you Felix,” said Midge.
   Jake and Midge ran to the park in search of Booker-T.  They found Snappy sunning on the edge of the pond.  When they got closer, they saw Booker-T in the shade of the big oak tree.
   “Hi ya Midge and Jake,” called Booker-T as the two approached.
   “Hi Booker-T,”  replied Jake and Midge.
   “Hey Booker-T,  do you think you can find a candle in all the trash cans you used to dig through?” asked Midge.
   “And why would you want a candle?” asked Booker-T.  “You can’t light it.”
    “I didn’t think about that Jake,” sighed Midge.
    “And is that a bad thing?” asked Snappy.
    “Today is Jake’s birthday and I thought if he blew out the candle his wishes would come true,” said Midge.
    “But that is for humans only.  It doesn’t work for us,” said Booker-T.
    “It doesn’t?” asked Midge.  “But how do you know it doesn’t work for us?”
    “I just know,” said Booker-T.  “Sometimes we don’t even get a ‘happy birthday’ wish from the human species,” said Booker-T.
   “That is sad. Well, we will all wish you a big happy birthday, Jake, and hope that your wishes will come true,” said Midge.
    “That is right,” said Booker-T and Snappy in unison.
    “Thank you guys.  I have all the wishes I want, just having you for my friends. That is all the wishes I need in this world,” said Jake. 
   “Happy Birthday Jake!” said the three friends in unison.
   “Now let’s go play!”  said Jake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T