Friday, November 23, 2012

Gabby's Big News


“Jake,” said Midge. “We left the park and forgot to ask Gabby what his exciting news was.”

“If he has exciting news, he will be here soon,” said Jake. “You know Gabby.”

“I guess you are right,” said Midge as she laid down her head and closed her eyes.

The three friends lay sleeping on the front porch swing when Gabby came swooping in and landed on the porch railing.

“Hey you guys! Wake up!” shouted Gabby. “You left the park and didn't even ask me what my exciting news was.”

“Gabby, you make a lot of noise for such a little bird,” said Jake. “Shhhh, can't you see we are taking a nice morning nap?”

“But don't you want to hear my news?” asked Gabby. “You can always sleep.”

“Why don't you take little nap with us and when we wake up, you can tell us the news,” said Midge. “Go to sleep Gabby.”

“But I don't want to sleep,” said Gabby. “I want to tell you my news.”

“Okay,” said Booker-T. “You woke all of us up now. We are listening. Tell us what your news is.”

“Did you know that the circus is coming to town this weekend?” asked Gabby.

“I knew that last week,” said Jake.

“How do you know it?” asked Gabby. “Did I tell you already?”

“No,” said Midge. “We heard about it on the TV when it was on at night.”

“Oh,” said Gabby. “Isn't it exciting?”

“Yes, it is exciting,” said Midge. “But we already know about the circus.”

“I think it is exciting that the circus is coming,” said Gabby. “I have never seen a circus.”

“I never saw one either,” said Booker-T.

“What is a circus Jake?” asked Gabby.

“This is your exciting news and you don't know what it is.” laughed Jake.

“I thought it was exciting,” said Gabby. “I heard people talking about it and it sounded like it was very exciting thing.”

“It is good and lot of fun,” said Midge. “Jake and I sneaked into one of the circus tents last year when it was here.”

“Oh wow, can we go this time when it gets here?” asked Gabby.

“You were at the circus with us last year, don't you remember?” asked Jake.

“No, I don't remember it,” said Gabby. “Maybe when I see it, I will remember.”

“Go to the store on the corner and take a look at the poster in the window,” said Midge.

“What is on the poster?” asked Gabby.

“It is some circus pictures,” said Jake. “Maybe if you see the pictures you will remember being there. And while you are gone, we are going to finish our nap.”

“Ha ha Jake,” said Gabby. “You are just trying to get rid of me, right?”

“How did you guess?” asked Midge. “You are smarter than you think.”

“Okay,” said Gabby. “I will be back later. Sleep the morning away.”

Gabby flew off to take a look at the poster on the store window. He couldn't remember seeing a circus before. “Wow, has my mind gone?” thought Gabby. “No no, I'm sure it is okay.” He perched on the fence post near the store and stared at the poster in the window. He could see lot of lions and tigers and elephants, people flying on swings in the air, people on back of horses and a man in red fancy suit. “Oh, that is a circus.” thought Gabby. “I do remember seeing it last year. I just didn't remember the name of it.” He flew back to Midge's house and found the three still napping. He perched on the porch railing watching them sleep. Soon he found he was falling asleep too. The cool breeze that blew across the porch was restful. Before too long, Gabby was fast asleep like his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T