Friday, September 27, 2013

Booker-T's Happy Day


“Diddly dee, diddly dee,” sang Booker-T as he hurried along the sidewalk to Jake's house. “I'm so happy, diddly dee, diddly dee.”

Booker-T bounced up the porch steps to where Jake sat on the swing. “You are in a really good mood this morning, Booker-T,” said Jake.

“I know,” said Booker-T. “It is a wonderful day today, don't you think?”

“Yes,” said Jake. “The sun is out and the air is warm. I love the quiet mornings.”

“Me too Jake,” said Booker-T. “Today is especially a happy one.”

“Why is today especially happy?” asked Jake.

“You are having an especially happy day?” asked Midge as she hurried up the steps.

“Hi Midge,” said Jake. “He was just about to tell me why it was an especially happy day.”

“Oh good,” said Midge. “I am just in time to hear. Go ahead Booker-T.”

“Thank you Midge,” said Booker-T.

“Why are you thanking me?” asked Midge.

“What did you do Midge?” asked Jake.

“I don't know,” said Midge. “What are you talking about Booker-T?”

“A year ago today, you found me my new home,” said Booker-T. “I am very happy with my home and my owner. She is always so nice to me and it is wonderful to have a nice bed to sleep in and regular meals every day. I never realized how great it could be. I don't miss living in that cardboard box behind the cafe.”

“Oh, you are very welcome Booker-T,” said Midge. “I am so happy that I could help you find the new home. I sure didn't like you having to sleep in a cardboard box and eating scraps of food every day. I am glad it all worked out for you.”

“Yes,” said Jake. “It is good to have a nice home with someone that loves you.”

“Yes,” said Booker-T. “Did you see what my owner got for me?”

“No,” said Midge staring at him. “I guess I missed it.”

“Oh Booker-T,” said Jake. “That is a nice tag you have on your collar. I think it is new.”

“Yes,” said Booker-T. “She gave it to me this morning. On one side is my name and address and on the other side is my picture. Do you like it too Midge?”

“It is really nice Booker-T,” said Midge.

“She is going to give me a special meal tonight,” said Booker-T. “Would you like to come share it with me?”

“We would love to come share your special meal with you,” said Jake.

“Yes, that is great,” said Midge. “Thank you.”

“Okay,” said Booker-T. “Are we going to the park to play now?”

“Sure,” said Jake. We need to wait for Susie. She is coming with us today.”

“She didn't tell me,” said Booker-T.

“Did you see her this morning?” asked Midge.

“No,” said Booker-T. “She wasn't outside on the porch when I passed by her house this morning and usually she is out there when I go by.”

“Do you think we should walk over there Jake?” asked Midge.

“Okay,” said Jake. “We can go over there on our way to the park.”

“Lets go,” said Booker-T. “I am a little worried now.”

The three of them started up the sidewalk toward Susie's house.

“Where are you going?” asked Gabby as he swooped down in front of them.

“Hey Gabby,” said Midge. “What are you doing?”

“I came looking for you,” said Gabby. “I thought you were coming to the park but you are walking in the opposite direction.”

“I know,” said Booker-T. “We are going to find out what happened to Susie?”

“You haven't seen Susie?” asked Gabby.

“No,” said Midge.

“She was supposed to come go to the park with us this morning, but we haven't seen her yet,” said Jake. “Booker-T said she wasn't outside on the porch when he passed by.”

“I saw her this morning Booker-T,” said Gabby. “She was getting in the car with her owner really early this morning.”

“Is today her vet appointment?” asked Jake.

“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “I don't remember when that is.”

“I don't think her vet time is for another two months,” said Midge.

“I hope Susie is okay,” said Booker-T.

“Me too,” said Midge. “Now I am worried. Maybe they went on a vacation.”

“Susie would have told me if they were going away,” said Booker-T.

“Did you see her last night?” asked Jake.

“Yes,” said Booker-T. “We sat on the porch and talked for a while before it was time to go inside for bed.”

“That means something happened after you both went inside for the night,” said Gabby.

“I hope she is okay,” said Booker-T.

“Are you going to the park?” asked Gabby.

“Is it okay if I skip the park today?” asked Booker-T.

“Sure, Booker-T,” said Midge. “But it isn't good to sit here and worry. I'm sure Susie will be okay.”

“Come with us Booker-T,” said Gabby. “We can check on Susie later.”

“Okay,” said Booker-T. “I might not be good company.”

“If you would rather stay here,” said Jake. “It's okay. We will come check on you later.”

“Okay Jake,” said Booker-T. “I am going to stay here and watch for Susie. I will see you later.”

“All right Booker-T,” said Midge. “We will come by here when we leave the park.”

“Sorry your special day has become sad for you,” said Jake.

“Thanks Midge,” said Booker-T. “It will be okay when I know that Susie is okay.”

Booker-T curled up on his front porch and watched his friends walk down the sidewalk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T