Friday, March 16, 2018

Worried Midge


   Jake walked to Midge's house and along the way, he stopped to smell the hamburgers at the corner cafe.
   “They sure smell good,” thought Jake.  “Every time I walk by here I get hungry.”
      Booker-T walked to the gate of his yard and stood watching Jake at the corner.  In a few minutes, Jake stood up and walked away from the cafe and met Booker-T at his front gate.  
    “You are always stopping to smell the hamburgers cooking when you come over here,” said Booker-T. 
   “I know,” said Jake.  “They sure do smell good and I'm hungry.  Don't the smell make you hungry?”
   “You could try begging like Midge does all the time,” said Booker-T.  “Maybe they will give you one.”
  “Midge is really good when it comes to begging,” smiled Jake.  “I'm not that good.”

   “Lets go see what she is doing,” said Booker-T as he followed Jake to Midge's house. 
   They entered the gate and stood staring at Midge. She was pacing back and forth in front of her porch.
   “Hey Midge,” said Jake. “What are you doing?”
   “Is something wrong, Midge?” asked Booker-T.  “You don't usually pace unless something is wrong.”
    “My owner is packing clothes into a suitcase,” said Midge. 
   “Where is she going?” asked Jake.  “This time I didn't hear her on the phone.”
    “Are you going with her?” asked Booker-T.
  “I don't know,” sighed Midge.  “I will miss you all if I have to go or if she puts me into a kennel.”
   “If you are in the kennel,” said Jake. “We will come to see you every day.”
   “What am I going to do?” asked Midge.
    “I will all be fine, Midge,” said Jake.  “Don't worry.”
    “Can I stay with you at your house Booker-T?” asked Midge.  “It's so lonely at the kennel.”
   “Maybe your wonder will take to mine,” said Booker-T.  “Remember, I stayed with you that one time.”
   “I remember,” said Midge.  “It was nice to have your company.”
   “Midge!” called her owner.  “Come on girl.”
   “I'll be back in a few minutes,” said Midge.  “Wait for me.”
   Midge ran into the house while Booker-T and Jake sat and watched her go inside.
   “Do you think everything will be okay, Jake?” asked Booker-T.
   “I hope so,” said Jake.  “Her owner is always good to her so I don't think we have anything to worry about.”
    In the house, Midge's owner sat down and pet Midge on the head.
    “I know you don't understand Midge,” she said.  “You only see me packing the clothes.  You will be staying with Booker-T's owner for a week while I go to my brother's house.  He is very sick and I'm going to go and help out til he gets better.   I know that you and Booker-T are always playing together so you will be fine with them.  She will come and feed Snappy for me also.  You will be fine Midge.  I wish you could understand, Midge.”
    Midge lifted her paw and placed it on her leg and lowered her head to her owner's lap and in a few minutes she looked up and licked the side of her face. 
   “I'm going now and MS Kelly will come and get you when she comes home from work.” said Midge's owner.  “You will be fine until she gets here.  Be a good girl Midge and I'll be home soon.”
   Midge followed her out the door as she carried her suitcase to the car.
   “What happened Midge?” asked Jake.
   “I will be staying with you Booker-T and your owner will be coming here to feed Snappy every day,” said Midge.
   “What happened?” asked Jake.  “Is your owner okay?”
   “Her brother is sick and she is going to help him out for a week,” said Midge.  “She was telling e all about it and she doesn't know that I understand everything she said.”
   “I'm glad you will be staying with me,” said Booker-T.  “We will have so much fun.”
   “We already have so much fun,” laughed Midge. 
   “But now you will be there day and night,” aid Booker-T.
   “Yes,” smiled Midge.  “But we have to sleep some too.”
    “Well,” said Booker-T.  “I guess that is true.”
    “It would really be fun if Jake was staying with us too,” said Booker-T.
   “But my owner don't know your owner and she isn't going anywhere,” said Jake.
   “Didn't they meet each other at the picnic?” asked Booker-T.
   “I'm not sure,” said Jake.  “Maybe they did, I don't know.  I didn't see them.”
   “When is your owner coming back Midge?” asked Jake.
    “I think a week,” said Midge.  “I will miss her, but I'm glad I can stay here and not in the kennel.”
    “Do you want to go to the park?” asked Midge. 
     “Sure,” said Jake.  “Want to go Booker-T?”
     “Lets go,” said Booker-T.  “I'm ready to go.”
     The three headed out of the gate and hurried along the sidewalk.  At the cafe on the corner, they stopped and sniffed the air. The smell of the hamburgers filled the air and they seem to keep calling them. 
   “I'm hungry,” said Jake.
   “Do you want to try and beg for some?” asked Booker-T.  “Midge can show you how.”
   “Sure,” smiled Midge.  “Lets try.”
   As someone came out of the cafe, Midge started dancing around on her hind legs and begged for food.  The family walked right past her ignoring her.
    “That didn't work out,” said Jake.
    “Here comes another one, Midge,” said Booker-T.  “Get ready.”
    Again Midge got up and started dancing around on her hind legs in front of them.  
   “Hey Mom,” said the little boy.  “Look at the puppy.”
   “Isn't she cute,” smiled the woman as she took his hand and they kept walking to the car.
   “That is all I get,” said Midge.  “A 'isn't she cute'?”
   “You want to try another one Midge?” asked Jake.
   “Come on, lets go to the park,” said Midge. 


1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T