Friday, December 11, 2020

Fun in the Snow

 

"Good morning Snappy," greeted Midge as she leaped into the chair beside the tank. "What are you doing?"

"Hi Midge," smiled Snappy. "I am standing on this log looking out the window watching the snow falling outside."

"It's snowing!" said Midge. "I love the snow and I hate the snow."

"That's funny," laughed Snappy. "Why do you love the snow?"

"It looks so pretty when it is falling to the ground and laying down a white blanket on the ground," said Midge. "And the trees with clumps of snow on the branches. In the moonlight, everything sparkles."

"Why do you hate the snow?" asked Snappy.

"It's cold and makes my feet so cold when I have to go outside," said Midge. "But it's fun running in the snow and it was fun when I rode the sled down the hill. Maybe Jake, Booker-T and I can do that again."

"But you landed in the snowbank when the sled hit a rock that was under the snow," said Snappy. "Jake said you went head first into the snowbank. Didn't that scare you?"

"It did a little," said Midge. "I knew Jake would pull me out."

"That would be really scary with your head in the snow," said Snappy. "Hard to breathe that way."

"Hey there guys," said Booker-T. "What is hard to breathe that way?"

"We were talking about when Midge landed in the snowbank with her head in the snow," said Snappy.

"I remember that," said Booker-T. "Jake and I were scared when she landed in the snow head first. I was so happy when Jake pulled her out and she was okay."

"I want to do the sled again," said Midge. "It was fun."

"I don't know if Jake will like it," said Booker-T.

"Don't you want to ride the sled down the hill?" asked Midge. "It was so much fun going down the hill fast on top of the sled."

"I don't want to go flying through the air and go into the snowbank with my head," said Booker-T. "But if Jake wants to, we can do it. I think the trashcan lids were fun to ride down the hill."

"Oh yes," smiled Midge. "I liked them too. They were really fun. Maybe we can do that again."

"Isn't the snow pretty falling and covering the ground?" asked Booker-T.

"It is," said Midge. "Sure wish it wasn't so cold when it snowed. I like the warm weather better, don't you?"

"I do," said Booker-T. "But it's fun to play in the snow sometimes."

"I think there is more things to do in the warm weather," said Midge.

"Me too," said Booker-T.

"Hey you guys," said Jake as he entered the living room. "What are you doing? Did you see it is snowing out?"

"I saw that," said Midge. "It does look pretty making everything white."

"My footprints are in the snow now coming through your yard," smiled Jake. "My feet are cold."

"What do you want to do today?" asked Booker-T.

"We could go to the park and make footprints in the snow all around the park," suggested Jake.

"But that would really get our feet cold," said Midge. "Maybe we can find some trashcan tops and ride them down the hill over by the school. That would be fun."

"Where do we get some trashcan tops?' asked Jake. "Can we use your owners trashcan tops?"

"We only have one," said Midge.

"One will be okay," said Booker-T. "We can share it."

"When you ride it down the hill, you have to drag it back up for the next one to ride it," said Midge.

"That works," said Jake. "Lets go."

"See you later Snappy," said Midge as they ran for the back door.

Midge grabbed the trashcan top off the trashcan in the back yard and they walked through the snow to the school as they dragged the top behind them.

Jake grabbed the top from Midge and they started up the hill. At the top they decided who will go first.

"You go first Booker-T," said Midge.

"Okay," said Booker-T as he stepped onto the trashcan top and sat down. "Okay guys, push me."

The trashcan top started down the hill. Faster and faster it went as it twisted around and around. At the bottom, it kept going across the snow. Finally stopping a few feet from the bottom of the hill. Booker-T grabbed the top and started back up the hill dragging it behind him. At the top of the hill, Midge stepped into the top and sat down. Jake pushed her and she started down the hill faster and faster as the top started to spin. Midge tried to stand up and ride it standing when it spun around and tossed her off. she landed on her side in the snow. The top kept on going down the hill until it hit a tree at the bottom.

"Midge!" yelled Booker-T and Jake. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," said Midge as she stood up.

"Go get the top," called Jake.

Midge ran down the hill after the top. At the bottom, she grabbed it and started back up the hill.

At the top, Jake climbed on the lid and sat down. "Don't stand up Jake," laughed Booker-T. "You might fly off like Midge. You were funny, Midge."

Midge and pushed the top so it would start going down the hill. Faster and faster it was going straight for the tree. Jake couldn't get it to change direction. At the bottom the top hit the tree and threw Jake off. He landed on his back in the snow. He just lay there a moment laughing with his feet in the air. Midge and Booker-T ran down the hill to where he lay in the snow.

"Are you okay?" asked Midge looking down at him.

"I'm okay," said Jake. "That was fun."

"It is a good thing that the snow is soft," said Jake.

"Yes," agreed Midge.

"Are you ready to go home?" asked Booker-T. "I'm cold. We can go home and warm up and

come another day. This snow is going to be around for a while."

"Okay," said Jake. "Lets go to my house."

Midge picked up the side of the trashcan top and they started to walk to Jake's house. Midge set the trashcan top near the porch where they all sat down to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T