Thursday, February 3, 2022

The Giant Turtle

 

Jake, Midge and Booker-T walked along the sidewalk to the zoo transfer facility to see what animals were there being transferred to or from their city's big zoo across town. They stopped at the corner, checking to be sure there were no cars coming and hurried across the street. They saw the zoo train pull into the station and several humans got on for the ride to the zoo across the city.

"I wish we would ride the train to the big zoo," sighed Midge.

"I know," said Booker-T. "It would be fun to go see all those animals there, but if they saw us, they would toss us off the train and it's a really long way for us if we have to walk home."

"I don't want to walk that far," said Midge. "My feet would hurt. Gabby is lucky that he can fly."

"Come on guys, lets go see what animals are inside the building here," said Jake as he started across the street.

They walked to the door of the zoo facility they peered inside to see who was inside. In one of the back corner cages, they saw a baby hippo splashing in the water. Next to him was a couple of monkeys swinging in the tree branches and jumping up and down. In the next cage, they saw a very large turtle.

"Look!" said Midge as she started to walk toward the cage. "That is a very big turtle. Lets go see it."

"What does the sign say, Jake?" asked Booker-T.

Jake read the sign. "It says it is a tortoise."

"He is really big," said Midge. "I didn't know turtles got that big. He is bigger than I am."

"Wow," said Booker-T. "Do humans have them as pets?"

"I don't know," said Jake. "It says he weighs 150 pounds. He is heavy too."

"Hi there," said Midge. "What is your name?"

"Are you talking to me?" asked the tortoise.

"Yes," said Midge. "My name is Midge and these are my friends, Jake and Booker-T."

"Can you let me out of this cage?" asked the tortoise.

"No," said Jake. "We can't do that."

"Why?" asked the tortoise. "I want to go back to the lake I was near."

"How did you get here?" asked Booker-T.

"Someone put me in the back of a truck and brought me here," said the tortoise. "I don't know why."

"Looks like they are going to take you to the big zoo across the city," said Jake.

"Why are you guys out there?" asked the tortoise. "I want to be out there with you."

"We are house pets for humans," said Midge. "So we don't live in a cage."

"I never lived in a cage either," said the tortoise. "I want to go home."

"Do you have a name?" asked Midge.

"Yes," said the tortoise. "The humans called me Slow Mo."

"Slow Mo," smiled Midge. "That is a different kind of name."

"What humans called you that?" asked Jake. "Did you live with humans?"

"I lived in the back yard of humans who lived near the lake," said Slow Mo.

"If you lived with humans," said Midge. "Why are you in this cage here?"

"I heard the big human say they couldn't take care of me anymore," sighed Slow Mo. "They said I was too big they said they were giving me to a zoo. What is a zoo?"

"A lot of animals live at the zoo," said Jake. "You will maybe have some other tortoises there to play with."

"Do you think I will like it there?" asked Slow Mo.

"I heard my owner say that the zoo takes good care of the animals there," said Midge. "She sends money to the zoo humans to help."

"You won't be a little cage there," said Jake. "You will have a really big area to walk around in."

"What zoo do you live in?" asked Slow Mo.

"We don't live in a zoo," said Booker-T.

"Why?" asked Slow Mo.

"We are pets and live with humans in a house," said Midge.

"Do you think I can go live with a human in a house too?" asked Slow Mo.

"There is a little tiny turtle living in my house," said Midge. "But you are too big to fit in a tank like our friend Snappy."

"Who is Snappy?" asked Slow Mo.

"Snappy is a tiny green turtle," said Midge. "He lives in a fish tank."

"If he is a turtle," said Slow Mo. "Why is he living in a fish tank?"

"It's a good size for him," said Midge. "Our owner put in things to make it look like a park and pond outside. He really likes it there."

"I don't like the water too much," said Slow Mo. "I can't swim good."

"Snappy loves the water," said Booker-T.

"So, you look like a turtle, but you aren't like a turtle," said Booker-T.

"I'm a tortoise," said Slow Mo. "We look little like a turtle, but we aren't a turtle."

"You look like a giant turtle," said Jake. Why are you called a tortoise and not giant turtle?"

"I don't know," said Slow Mo. "I was little one time when I was a baby."

"You grew up like a giant," smiled Booker-T. "Snappy would be so surprised to see you."

"Look out there Midge," said Jake. "It is the zoo truck. I think they are going to take you to your new home now, Slow Mo."

"I think you will be happy there," said Midge. "Maybe you will have a friend or two there."

"I hope I will have some friends," said Slow Mo. "I've been alone for long time now at the lake."

"That is sad," said Midge. "We all need friends."

"Enjoy your new home," smiled Jake.

"Will you come to see me there?" asked Slow Mo.

"We will come if we can," said Booker-T. "Bye Slow Mo."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T