Thursday, February 21, 2019

The Movie Song


Midge was walking around the front yard bouncing up and down and singing. “I'm an old cowhand, from the Rio Grande.”
Booker-T came into the yard and stood watching her, trying not to laugh too much.
“I can rope and ride,” sang Midge as she turned around and saw Booker-T standing there. “What are you doing over there?”
“I was watching you,” laughed Booker-T. “You are funny.”
“I was singing,” said Midge.
“Why were you bouncing up and down?” asked Booker-T.
“I was riding my horse,” said Midge.
“I don't see a horse,” said Booker-T. “Is it invisible?”
“It is a pretend horse,” said Midge.
“How do you ride a pretend horse?” asked Booker-T.
“You pretend you are riding a pretend horse,” said Midge.
“You are confusing me, stated Booker-T, tilting his head and staring at her.
“I'm singing a song, pretending to ride a horse,” said Midge. “But there is no real horse. I am only pretending that there is a horse. Little kids do it all the time.”
“Why are you singing about a cow if you are pretending to ride a horse?' asked Booker-T.
“I'm not singing about a cow,” replied Midge.
“You said you were a cow hand,” said Booker-T. “I heard you say it.”
“I know,” said Midge. “But that's not about cows and cows don't have hands.”
“Okay,” said Booker-T. “Then what is a cow hand?”
“It is a man who rides a horse and takes care of the cows,” said Midge.
“So,” said Booker-T. “It is about cows and cow hands.”
“What are you guys doing?” asked Jake as he entered the front yard.”
“Midge was singing a funny song,” said Booker-T.
“She does that a lot,” laughed Jake.
“But this time she was pretending to ride a pretend horse,” said Booker-T.
“What were you singing this time?” asked Jake.
“I'm an old cowhand,” sang Midge. “From the Rio Grande.”
“That was from a cowboy movie, I think,” said Jake. “I remember my owner watched it one night.”
“Mine too,” said Midge. “She likes those western movies.”
“My owner likes mystery movies,” said Booker-T. “I never heard anyone singing in them. Only weird music sometimes when something is going to happen.”
“My owner likes the mysteries too,” said Jake. “She watches all kind of movies. But she don't like the real scary ones.”
“Mine too,” said Midge. “But her little nephew's favorite movies are cowboy movies so when he is at the house, there is always a cowboy movie on the TV or cartoons for him.”
“My owner's nephew likes the cartoons best of all,” said Jake. “His favorite cartoon is Mighty Mouse. Remember that song. Here I come to save the day! Which means that Mighty Mouse is on the way.”
“I like that one too,” said Booker-T.
“Have you ever seen a strong mouse, Booker-T?” asked Midge.
“No,” said Booker-T. “Only Mighty Mouse. I like to watch cartoons. They are funny. Popeye is strong too. He eats spinach.”
“How about Tom and Jerry?” asked Midge. “Have you ever seen them?”
“Who are Tom and Jerry?” asked Booker-T.  "I never heard of them.”
“Tom is a big cat and Jerry is a little mouse,” said Midge.
“Oh, I know them,” said Jake. “Tom is a dumb cat always trying to catch Jerry who is always teasing Tom. They are so funny.”
“Cat's aren't dumb,” sighed Booker-T.
“I know that,” said Midge. “We know you are really smart and a little mouse couldn't fool you.”
“It is only a cartoon,” said Jake.
“That's right,” said Midge. “Tom pretends to be dumb. He really is smart. I pretend to ride a pretend horse and Tom pretends to be dumb.”
Booker-T just smiled.  "Maybe I will pretend to be a dog." 
They all laughed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T