Friday, August 18, 2023

Who Sprayed the Water

 

Midge and Booker-T strolled along the sidewalk on their way to Jake's house. They entered the yard through the gate and found Jake napping on the porch swing.

Hey Jake!” called Midge as she tapped him on the head with her paw. “Wake up Jake!”

Wakey wakey!” laughed Booker-T.

Jake sat up and blinked his eyes at them. “I'm awake!” said Jake.

You were sleeping,” said Midge.

Maybe a little,” said Jake. “Maybe I was just resting my eyes.”

Are we going to the park to play in the pond today?” asked Booker-T. “The weather is very hot today.”

Lucy should be coming soon,” said Jake.

I see her coming down the street now,” said Booker-T.

Hi guys,” smiled Lucy as she walked through the gate. “What are you doing?”

We are waiting for you,” said Jake.

He was sleeping, Lucy,” laughed Midge. “Booker-T and I got here and Jake was sleeping.”

I'm awake now,” said Jake. “And I'm ready to go play in the pond at the park.”

My too,” said Lucy. “The water will feel so good.”

The four strolled through the gate and and along the sidewalk. At the corner, they stopped and checked to make sure no cars were coming and then ran across the street into the park.

Do you want to ride the little train?” asked Midge.

Lets walk through the park today,” suggested Jake.

Okay,” agreed the others.

They walked through the park. Birds were signing in the trees and little humans were laughing as they played at the playground. They walked to the edge of the pond and stuck their feet into the water. Suddenly Midge was splashed with water.

Hey!” said Midge. “You splashed me with water!”

Who did?” asked Booker-T.

Maybe it was you,” suggested Midge.

Not me,” said Booker-T.

I didn't splash you,” said Lucy and Jake.

One of you did,” said Midge.

You want to get wet don't you?” asked Jake.

Sure,” said Midge. “But that was sneaky.”

I wasn't sneaky,” said Booker-T.

Suddenly Booker-T got splashed with water on the side of the head.

Hey!” said Booker-T. “Who did that?”

I don't know,” said Lucy. “Did what?”

I got splashed with water,” said Booker-T. “Is Gabby here being funny?”

I don't think so,” said Midge.

Lucy got splashed and she quickly looked around and saw no one there but her head was wet. “I just got splashed too,” said Lucy.

They stood there looking around and saw nothing. “Okay,” said Jake. “Someone is being funny.”

Who?” asked Midge. “I only see us here.”

That is strange,” said Lucy. “Booker-T, are you splashing water?”

No,” sighed Booker-T. “I got splashed too.”

They stood looking around the pond when a spray of water hit Midge on top of the head.

Okay,” said Midge. “Is there a little human somewhere hiding with a water gun?”

Maybe that is where the water is coming from,” suggested Lucy.

I don't see anyone,” said Jake as he turned around just in time to see a fish peak out of the water and spray water at him. “It's a fish! It is squirting us with water.”

Hey fishy!” called Midge. “Come out, come out wherever you are.”

The fish poked it's head out of the water. “What do you want?”

You are spraying water on us,” said Booker-T.

How do you know it was me?” asked the fish. “Would I do something like that?”

Of course you would,” said Booker-T.

What's your name Mr. Fish?” asked Lucy.

They call me Fred,” said the fish. “Freddie the Fish.”

Well, Freddie,” said Jake. “Do you spray water on everyone who comes to the pond?”

I like it!” said Freddie as he ducked under the water and came up spraying water all over all of them. “You are here to get wet right? I'm just helping.”

I guess we did come to get wet,” said Midge as Jake drank a lot of water and then spit it out at Freddie.

Oh!” said Freddie.

They all stood there laughing at Freddie.

Do you want to play with us?” asked Midge. “We came to swim in the pond.”

You want me to swim with you?” asked Freddie. “I swim really good you know. Fish are good swimmers.”

We are good swimmers too,” said Jake.

Will you race me to the other side of the lake?” asked Freddie.

Sure,” said Jake. “lets do it. Count to three Midge and we will swim fast.”

One, two, two and a half, three!” shouted Midge.

Jake started swimming across the pond to the other side. He looked up and there

at the shore on the other side, was Freddie poking his head out of the water.

Wow, you do swim fast,” said Jake.

I'm a good swimmer,” said Freddie as he squirted Jake with water and bobbed up and down in the water laughing at them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T