Thursday, January 16, 2020

Kiss the Frog


Jake and Booker-T entered the gate at Midge's front yard but Midge wasn't on the porch where she usually is in the mornings.
"Maybe she is in the back yard, Jake," suggested Booker-T. "Lets go to the back and see if she is there."
They walked around the house to the back yard. There, they found Midge sitting at the edge of the fountain.
"What are you doing?" asked Jake.
"Why are you just sitting there?" asked Booker-T. "Are you okay?"

"I'm looking at that frog," said Midge. "He said his name is Duke."
"Duke the frog?" asked Booker-T.
"That is what he said," replied Midge. "He said he was a Duke."
"His name is Duke and he is a Duke," said Jake.
"Yes," said Midge. "That is what he told me."
"Hi Duke," said Jake. "What are you doing?"
"I'm just sitting here talking to your friend Midge," said Duke. "What are you two doing?"
"We are sitting here with Midge now," said Jake.
"Why are we all just sitting here?' asked Booker-T.
"I don't know," said Midge.
Gabby flew down and landed on the edge of the fountain. "What is everyone doing here?"
"We are just sitting around talking to Duke," said Booker-T.
"Who?" asked Gabby.
"Duke the frog," said Midge.
"Why are you just sitting around talking to Duke?" asked Gabby.
"I found him this morning sitting in the little pond here," said Midge. "He wanted me to sit and talk to him."
"Nice name, Duke," said Gabby. "Did you mommy give you the name?"
"Yes," said Duke.
"What is her name?" asked Gabby.
"Queen," said Duke.
"Okay," said Gabby. "I guess your dad is King."
"That's right," said Duke.
"Is he being funny?" asked Midge.
"Did you guys ever hear the story of the frog?" asked Gabby.
"What story?" asked Midge.
"I think some witch somewhere turned this young man who was a Duke, into a frog because she was angry at him," said Gabby.
"Oh my," said Booker-T. "I wouldn't want that witch getting angry at me."
"Do you think that is what happened to Duke?" asked Midge.
"Maybe," said Gabby.
"What happened in the story?" asked Jake. "Did he stay a frog forever?"
"He had to find a princess to kiss him so he could turn back into a human," said Gabby.
"Did he ever find a princess to kiss him?" asked Booker-T.
"He found a princess but she didn't want to kiss him," said Gabby.
"Did he tell her that he was a Duke?" asked Midge.
"No," said Gabby. "He wasn't allowed to tell her. He had to get her to kiss him without her knowing he was a Duke. It was to be a surprise when he turned back into a human."
"Would you kiss the frog, Midge?" asked Jake.
"I don't know," said Midge. "Maybe I would if he gave me a lot of bones for it."
"But he wouldn't be able to tell you that until you kissed him," said Gabby.
"Did the princess kiss the frog?" asked Booker-T.
"Yes," said Gabby.
"What happened when she kissed it?" asked Duke.
"She kissed the frog and poof," said Gabby. "He turned into a handsome price and was standing right there in front of the princess."
"Did she faint?" laughed Booker-T.
"No," laughed Gabby. "They kissed and then later got married and lived happily ever after in his palace."
"Why don't you kiss the frog Midge and see if he turns into a dog prince," said Booker-T.
"I don't want to kiss the frog," said Midge. "That was just a story. I don't think a frog can turn into a prince."
"Are you sure it is just a story?" asked Jake. "Maybe it is real."
"You can kiss me if you want," said Duke. "I don't think I'm a dog prince but you can kiss me and we can find out if I change."
"Are you a prince?" asked Booker-T.
"I don't know," said Duke. "I think I'm just a frog,"
"But you don't know for sure, do you?" asked Midge.
"If a witch turned me into a frog from a prince," said Duke. "I don't remember it."
"Do you remember anything?" asked Jake.
"I think I remember being a little tadpole long time ago," said Duke. "But I might have been dreaming. You can kiss me and we will know for sure."
"Go ahead and kiss him Midge," said Jake. "Lets see if he changes to a prince."
"It's okay Midge," said Gabby. "We won't tell anyone you kissed a frog."
"You might get lucky and Duke will be a nice dog prince," said Jake.
"I'm ready," said Duke as he leaped out of the water and sat on the edge of the pond.
Go ahead Midge," said Jake. "Close your eyes and just kiss Duke on the top of his head. Just a small little kiss will do."
"Okay," said Midge.
She closed her eyes and leaned over to kiss him on the top of the head.
"Go ahead Midge," said Booker-T.
"Okay," said Midge. "Here I go."
She leaned over and kissed him lightly on the head. She opened her eyes to see a frog just sitting there looking at her.
"I kissed the frog and he is still a frog," said Midge.
"Looks like Duke is just a frog," said Jake.
"And our new friend," said Booker-T.
"I guess you are right," said Midge.
Duke smiled


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T