Friday, January 31, 2020

The Strange House


Midge, Jake and Booker-T walked along the sidewalk on their way to the little zoo transfer building where the petting zoo is.
"Jake," said Midge as she suddenly stopped and stood looking across the street.
"Are you okay, Midge?" asked Jake.
"No," said Midge. "Why is that house in the tree?"
"I think it is called a tree house," said Jake.
"But why is it in the tree?" asked Midge.

"Isn't that a strange place to build a house?" said Booker-T.
"Maybe it is a house for squirrels," suggested Midge. "Maybe they need a house to hide their nuts for the winter."
"A Squirrel house?" asked Booker-T. "I never saw a squirrel house before."
"Climb the tree, Booker-T," said Jake. "And look inside and see what is in the house."
"The squirrels may not want me to go inside their house," said Booker-T. "They don't like me anyway and will get angry if I bother them."
"There is a window that you can peak inside through," said Midge.
"Hey," said Booker-T. "It looks like there is no glass in the window."
"Go look, Booker-T. " said Make. "Midge and I can't climb up the tree like you can do."
"Okay," said Booker-T. "I hope the squirrels aren't home right now."
Booker-T climbed the tree and stepped onto the porch of the small tree house. He slowly walked to the window and peeked inside.
"What do you see inside the house?" asked Midge. "Are the squirres home?"
"No one is inside," said Booker-T. "I'm going inside."
"Okay," said Jake. "Be careful."
Booker-T slowly walked inside the small house and looked around. He saw a blanket on one side of the little house. Next to the blanket, Booker-T saw a baseball and glove laying on the floor.
"What do you see?" called Jake.
Booker-T walked outside the little house and called down to Midge and Jake.
"It isn't a squirrel house, Jake," said Booker-T. "It is a people house."
"But it is too small for a people house," said Midge.
"Maybe it is for little people, like kids," said Booker-T. "There is a blanket in here and a baseball and glove."
"It's for little boys," smiled Jake. "They like to climb trees and they like to play ball. This must be their playhouse."
"Oh, wow," said Booker-T. "Why do they have a house up in the tree?"
"Maybe it is a safe place to be above the ground," suggested Midge.
"But they could fall out of the tree," said Booker-T.
"They have to be careful up there," said Jake. "It's a long way to the ground if they fall."
"It looks safe up here," said Booker-T.
"Do they make doggie tree houses?" asked Midge.
"I don't think so," said Jake.
"But why?" asked Midge.
"Because dogs can't climb trees to get up into the house," said Jake. "How would we get up to the house?"
"Do they make elevators for the tree houses?" asked Booker-T.
"I don't think so," laughed Jake.
"Maybe they could make one," suggested Midge. "We could invent one."
"I want a tree house in my backyard," said Booker-T.
"Who will build it?" asked Midge.
"I don't know," said Booker-T. "I wish someone would build me one. It would be a nice place for me to hide."
"You can climb into the tree," said Midge. "I would need an elevator."
"Maybe we better stay on the ground," said Jake. "You have your dog house you can hide in."
"My dog house is little," said Midge. "I can't walk around in it. I have to crawl in and lay down for a nap. A big doggie house would be nice to have."
"You want a mansion doggie house," laughed Jake.
"That would be nice," said Midge. "Maybe I can find a picture of a big one and lay it on the table in the living room for my owner to find."
"Did you see the big dog house in my neighbor's yard?" asked Jake.
"No," said Midge. "Is it a big one?"
"It is really big," said Jake. "It has windows in it to and the dog's name is on the top of the door."
"Oh wow," said Midge. "I would like a big one too."
"I don't know how we can get one," sighed Booker-T. "How do we get our owners to make one?"
"We need a picture of a big dog house," said Midge.
"Why do you need a picture of a dog house?" asked Jake.
"Remember what I said? I can lay it in the living room for my owner to see," said Midge. "Maybe she will see it and build me one."
"You can try," said Booker-T.
"This is when it would be good to be a human so we can talk to our owners and tell them what we want," said Midge.
"But if we were human," said Jake. "We wouldn't need a dog house."
"Oh," said Midge. "I guess that's true. I guess we just have to be happy with what we are and what we have. We do live in the big house with the owner."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T