Friday, March 13, 2020

The Little Doll


Midge walked back and forth across the living room, looking under the chairs and the sofa. She went across the room several times and then went to the bedroom. She stood in the middle of the bedroom staring at the bed. In a few minutes she was back in the living room where she walked around the coffee table and then leaped into the chair next to Snappy's tank.
"What are you doing Midge?" asked Snappy. "You have been pacing back and forth all morning."
"I lost my little doll," said Midge.
"You have a doll?" asked Snappy. "I thought little human girls had dolls."

"They do," said Midge. "Our owner bought her little niece a doll last month when she was here and she got me a doggie doll to play with."
 "A doggie doll?" asked Snappy.  
 "Yes," said Midge.  "It's a doggie rag doll.  It is fun playing with it." 
"That was nice," said Snappy. "I never saw your little doll."
"If I can find it," said Midge. "I will show you what it looks like."
"What does it look like?" asked Snappy.
"She is little and has a blue dress on and a little blue hat with a yellow flower on it," said Midge. "When I squeeze it, she squeaks."
"Where did you see the doll last?" asked Snappy.
"I don't remember," sighed Midge.  "I haven't played with it in a week, I think." 
"What did you lose?" asked Booker-T as he entered the room and heard Midge and Snappy talking.
"Midge lost her little doll," said Snappy.
"You have a doll?" asked Booker-T.
"Yes," nodded Midge. "Our owner got it for me to play with."
"But human girls play with dolls," said Midge. "Dogs play with balls and chew toys."
"I think my little doll is a doggie chew toy," said Midge. "It squeaks when I squeeze it. I like to run around and make it squeak."
"You lost it?" asked Booker-T.
"Yes," sighed Midge. "I was looking for it this morning."
"Did you have it outside?" asked Booker-T.
"I don't think so," said Midge.
Squeak, squeak, squeak came the sound from the kitchen. Midge and Booker-T looked up toward the kitchen.
"Does your doll squeak by itself?" asked Snappy. "I think it is calling you."
"No," said Midge staring at the kitchen door. "It don't squeak by itself.  I have to squeeze it to make it squeak."
Squeak, squeak, squeak came the sounds again. Into the room came Jake carrying a little doll in his mouth and squeezing it to make it squeak. He walked across the living room to where Midge and Booker-T stood.
"You found my doll," smiled Midge. "I was looking for it all morning."
"This is your doll?" asked Jake as he laid it down on the floor.
"Yes," said Midge. "It is my doggie doll."
"It was on the front porch," said Jake. "I thought it was your owner's niece's doll so I brought it into the house."
"No," said Midge. "This one is mine. It is my little blue princess doll."
"Why do you have a doll?" asked Jake.
"My owner got it for me," said Midge. "It is a doggie toy and I'm a doggie."
"What happened to the doll's foot?' asked Booker-T.
"I was squeezing it to make it squeak and then I was running around the yard and shaking it when the foot popped off," said Midge.
"Where is the foot?" asked Booker-T.
"It is in my bed," said Midge. "I picked up the foot and brought it in to the house. I guess I forgot the doll. Can you fix it for me Jake?"
"I don't know how, Midge," said Jake.
Midge looked at Booker-T and he said, "I don't know how to fix it either."
"Maybe your owner can fix it," suggested Jake.
"Set your doll and the foot on her bed so she can see them," said Booker-T.
"Okay," said Midge. She ran to the bedroom with the doll and the foot and laid them on the bed.
She came back to the living room.
"Can we go to the park and play this morning?" asked Jake.
"Okay," said Midge. "Do you want to go play, Booker-T?" 
 "I sure do," said Booker-T.  "Do you want to come along with us Snappy.  It has been a long time since you were at the park pool." 
  "Thanks for asking me," smiled Snappy.  "But I will stay here.  Have fun."
The three told Snappy good-bye and ran to the back door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T