Friday, June 26, 2020

Something is Here


Midge's owner left for work early this morning so she curled curled up on the end of the sofa after she left the house.
"What are you doing, Midge?" asked Snappy pushing his little nose against the glass of the tank.
"I'm going back to sleep," said Midge. "It is early and I don't want to wake up now."
"Where did our owner go?" asked Snappy.
"She had to go to work early this morning," said Midge. "I'm tired so am going to sleep a little more."
"Okay," said Snappy.
Midge closed her eyes and started to go to sleep when Snappy started yelling at her.
"Midge! Midge!" called Snappy. "Wake up Midge! Wake up!"
Midge leaped up from the sofa and stood on the floor. "What happened?"

"Midge," said Snappy. "Something big went to the back yard. Go see what it is."
"Were you dreaming?" asked Midge.
"No," said Snappy. "I was awake just laying on the big rock."
"What did you see?" asked Midge.
"I don't know," said Snappy. "It was really big and gray."
"Big and gray?" asked Midge. "Was it an alien space ship?"
"I don't think so," said Snappy. "Do alien space ships walk?"
"A walking ship?" said Midge. "I don't think so. They are from outer space. Maybe their ships walk and fly."
"Go see, Midge," said Snappy. "See what is in the back yard."
As Midge slowly walked across the living room floor, she heard a strange noise from the back yard.
"What is that?" asked Snappy. "Do space aliens make funny noises?"
"I don't know," said Midge. "I haven't met a space alien yet."
"Go see," said Snappy again. "Maybe they are friendly space aliens."
"Maybe," said Midge. "But what if they aren't friendly? Will they get me?"
"I don't know," said Snappy. "It was really big and now it is making weird noises."
"Maybe I should wait til Jake comes," said Midge.
"Is he coming this morning to the house?" asked Snappy.
"Yes," said Midge. "So is Booker-T. "Oh no."
"What happened?" asked Snappy.
"Booker-T is small and it might get Booker-T," said Midge. "I have to go save Booker-T."
"What are you going to do?" asked Snappy.
"I don't know," said Midge. "Maybe I should go peak out the doggie door and see what the space aliens are doing."
Midge turned to go to the kitchen and then peak out the doggie door. As she slowly started walking across the living room, Booker-T came running in.
"Hi Booker-T," said Midge. "What are you doing?"
"What are you doing, Midge?' asked Booker-T. "Why is there an elephant in your back yard?"
"An elephant is in the back yard?" asked Midge raising her eyebrows.
"Yes," said Booker-T. "A really big elephant. Come on lets go see."
Midge followed Booker-T through the kitchen and out the doggie door. Standing in the back yard was a big gray elephant. Midge and Booker-T stood at the door staring up at the big animal.
"Hello Mr. Elephant," said Midge. "What are you doing in my back yard?"
"Is this where you live?" asked the elephant.
"Yes," said Midge. "Where did you come from?"
"I came here with the carnival," said the elephant.
"But why are you in my back yard?" asked Midge.
"I don't want to stay with the carnival anymore," sighed the elephant.
"Why?" asked Midge.
"They make me work all the time," said the elephant.
"What do you do?" asked Booker-T.
"I pull the wagons," said the elephant. "And I help the humans when the put up the tents."
"You don't like to do that?" asked Midge.
"I don't think so," said the elephant. "Can I stay here with you?"
"But you are too big to live with me," said Midge.
"I will be quiet," said the elephant.
"What is your name?" asked Midge. "I'm Midge and this is Booker-T.
"I'm Henry," said the elephant. "I'm tired."
Jake came running around the corner of the house and suddenly stopped in his tracks.
"Whoa!!" shouted Jake. "Midge! What are you doing with an elephant in your back yard?"
"This is Henry," said Midge. "He wanted to come live with me."
"He is too big to go through the doggie door," said Jake.
"Maybe he can stay in the back yard," said Booker-T.
"Oh no," said Midge. "My owner wouldn't like an elephant here."
"Why not?" asked Henry. "Don't she like elephants?"
"I don't know," said Midge. "She won't know what to feed you."
"I eat hay and and fruit and grass," said Henry.
"But we don't have enough grass to feed you," said Jake. "You would get really hungry here."
"You don't want me here," sighed Henry. "I will go."
"You are going back to the carnival?" asked Midge.
"No," said Henry. "Maybe someone else will let me live with them."
"They need you at the carnival," said Midge. "Maybe they are looking for you now."
"Come on Henry," said Jake. "We will walk home with you."
"Okay," sighed Henry. "Maybe I better go home."
As they walked along the sidewalk, they saw a lot of humans coming their way.
"Henry," said the man in the gray uniform. "Where have you been?"
He put a rope on him and they walked together back to the carnival grounds..
"Bye Henry," said Booker-T.
"Bye Henry," said Midge. "We will come see you at the carnival."
They sat and watched Henry walk away with the humans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T