Friday, May 14, 2021

A new Park Friend

 

Midge ran through the gate and went to Booker-T's house. As she entered the yard, Booker-T came running around the house to the front.

"Hi Midge," smiled Booker-T. "What are you doing?"

"I was on the way here to walk to Jake's house with you," said Midge.

"Are we going to the zoo today?" asked Booker-T.

"We can ask Jake," said Midge. "Come on, lets go."

The two ran out of the yard through the gate and hurried along the sidwalk.

"Why are we running?" asked Booker-T.

"I don't know," said Midge. "Why are we running? We don't have to hurry."

"Lets slow down some," said Booker-T as they slowed down to a walk. "If you want to run, lets go to the park so we can run around the park."

"Maybe we can run around the park a little," said Midge. "And then go to the petting zoo and see all the baby animals."

"That would be good," agreed Booker-T.

Gabby flew down from the trees above and landed on the sidewalk in front of Midge and Booker-T.

"Where are you guys going?" asked Gabby.

"Hi Gabby," said Midge. "What are you doing?"

"I'm just flying around enjoying the sunshine," said Gabby. "I went to your house and you weren't there."

"Booker-T and I are on our way to Jake's house," said Midge.

"What are you all going to do?" asked Gabby.

"We are going to go for a run in the park and then go to the petting zoo to see all the baby animals," said Booker-T. "Do you want to come with us?"

"I don't run in the park," said Gabby. "My little legs wouldn't keep up with you three," laughed Gabby. "I would fly above you all."

"You can fly with us," said Midge.

"I will come with you to Jake's house and then I will go see Polly," said Gabby.

"How is Polly?" asked Midge.

"She is good and has three little babies," said Gabby.

"Oh, that is nice," said Midge. "Tell Polly hi when you go see her."

"I will," said Gabby as he flew into the air and followed Midge and Booker-T to Jake's house.

Booker-T and Midge walked through the gate and found Jake in his usual spot on the front porch.

"Hey Jake!" called Booker-T. "Wake up Jake."

"I'm awake," said Jake as he sat up in the swing.

"No you weren't," laughed Midge. "I saw you with your eyes closed."

"I was just resting my eyes," assured Jake.

"No," said Booker-T. "You were sleeping. You are always taking a nap."

"What are you guys doing?" asked Jake.

"We want to go to the park and run around the park a little," said Midge. "And then we want to go to the petting zoo and see the baby animals."

"Okay," agreed Jake. "Lets go. Are you coming with us Gabby?"

"No," said Gabby. "I don't run. You go to the park and I'm going to go see Polly now."

"See you later, Gabby," said Booker-T.

The three watched Gabby fly off into the sky above as they started to walk to the park. they got to the corner and looked both ways before crossing the street into the park.

"Lets run to the pond," suggested Midge.

"Okay," said Booker-T. "Lets go."

They started running toward the pond when suddenly Midge flipped head over heels and landed on her back on the ground. Jake and Booker-T turned around to see her getting up on the ground.

"What happened?" asked Jake.

"I don't know," said Midge as she turned around to see what she tripped on.

Sitting in the grass was a big green rock.

"Looks like you tripped on a rock, Midge." said Jake.

Booker-T walked over and put his nose close to the rock and it bit him on the nose. "Ouch!" screamed Booker-T.

"What happened?" asked Midge.

"It bit me," said Booker-T rubbing his nose.

"Rocks don't bite," laughed Jake. "Maybe you stuck your nose on the stick."

Jake put his paw on the rock and it moved. "Oh!" said Jake. "This rock isn't a rock. It moved."

"What is it?" asked Midge as she walked closer.

Jake tapped the rock on the top again and a head appeared. Jake jumped back and looked at the rock.

"This isn't a rock," said Jake.

"What is it?" asked Booker-T as he got closer to get a better look.

"It is a turtle," laughed Jake.

Midge stuck her nose down close and looked at the rock. She was looking into the eyes of the little head as it was staring back at her.

"Hello," said Midge. "Who are you?"

"I'm Buzzy," said the turtle. "You hit me on the back."

"No," said Midge.

"Yes you did," said Buzzy. "I felt you hit me."

"She didn't mean to hit you," said Jake. "We were running and she tripped on you because she didn't see you in the grass."

"I didn't mean to hit you," sighed Midge. "Jake is right. I didn't see you."

"Do you live at the pond?" asked Booker-T.

"Yes," said Buzzy. "My three friends and I live there."

"Our friend, Snappy used to live at the pond," said Midge.

"He don't live here anymore?" asked Buzzy.

"No," said Midge. "He was very tiny little turtle and the kids were all mean to him so he lives at my house now."

"Do the little humans leave you alone at the pond?" asked Jake.

"Yes," said Buzzy. "We have a special place we stay and we can watch them and they can't touch us."

"That is good," said Midge.

"What are you guys doing here?" asked Buzzy.

"We came here to run around the park and then we are going to the little petting zoo," said Booker-T.

"Can my friends and I go with you to the petting zoo?" asked Buzzy. "What is a petting zoo?"

"It is a little zoo where the baby animals are visited by the little humans," said Jake.

"Maybe Buzzy and his friends can go live at the baby zoo," suggested Midge.

"That is a good idea," said Jake. "Do you want to go live with the baby animals at the petting zoo?"

"Little humans come to see you at the zoo and pet you," said Jake. "It is a good place."

"Come on with us," said Midge. "If you don't like it there, we will walk you back here to the park."

"Okay," smiled Buzzy.

Buzzy and his friends followed Midge, Booker-T and Jake to the petting zoo to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T