Friday, May 7, 2021

Ride the Wagon

 

Midge hurried along the sidewalk to Booker-T's house next door. She ran around to the back of the house and poked her head through the doggie door and looked around the kitchen. She crawled into the house and ran to the living room looking for Booker-T.

"Hey Booker-T!" called Midge. "Where are you?"

Booker-T slowly came walking into the living room from the bedroom.

"Hi Midge," smiled Booker-T. "Am I late getting up this morning?"

"No," said Midge. "I'm early."

"Why?" asked Booker-T.

"I was excited and wanted to go to Jake's," said Midge.

"Why are you excited?" asked Booker-T. "What happened?"

"Nothing," smiled Midge. "I want to go play. Don't you want to go play?"

"What do you want to play?" asked Booker-T.

"Go eat your breakfast," said Midge. "I saw your bowl in the kitchen and your owner filled it with your breakfast."

Booker-T smiled and walked into the kitchen with Midge following behind him. She sat down while Booker-T started eating his breakfast.

"Do you want some, Midge?" asked Booker-T offering to share.

"No," said Midge. "I ate my breakfast before I came to your house and my owner gave me a treat too."

"Is this a special day?" asked Booker-T.

"No," said Midge. "I carried her slippers to the bedroom from the living room for me and she was happy and gave me a nice treat."

"That was nice," smiled Booker-T as he finished eating breakfast. "Wait here."

"Where are you going?" asked Midge as Booker-T ran to the laundry room.

"Just wait here," smiled Booker-T. "I will be right back. Don't move."

"Okay," said Midge. "I'm sitting here."

Booker-T went through the door into the laundry room and Midge was curious and followed Booker-T. She peeked through the door and saw Booker-T in the cat box. She hurried back into the kitchen before Booker-T saw her. In a few minutes, he came walking back into the kitchen.

"Are you ready to go?" asked Booker-T.

"I'm ready," smiled Midge. "Are you ready to go?"

"Lets go," said Booker-T as he followed Midge through the doggie door into the back yard. They ran around to the front of the house.

"What are you doing with your wagon?" asked Booker-T when he saw the wagon sitting near the front gate.

"I want to go to the go-cart races near the school," said Midge.

"You can't enter the race," said Booker-T. "It is for the little humans and they are probably all signed up to ride in the race down the hill."

"I can ride the wagon down the hill," said Midge. "I can hold onto the handle and go down the hill really fast."

"You can get hurt too," said Booker-T. "Jake won't like it."

"He will let me," said Midge.

"No he won't," said Booker-T. "He will remind you about how you went head first into the snow drift when you rode the sled down the hill."

"But this time, I will be on the road," said Midge. "And the little humans are going to be going down the same hill. They could get hurt too."

"But the big humans said it is okay for them," said Booker-T.

"Jake is a big dog and I'm a little dog so Jake can say it is okay," said Midge.

"I don't think he will," said Booker-T. "Lets go."

Midge grabbed the handle of the wagon as they started to walk along the sidewalk to Jake's house. Gabby flew down and landed in the wagon.

"Where are you going with the wagon?" asked Gabby.

Midge stopped walking and turned around to see Gabby sitting in the wagon.

"Hi Gabby," said Booker-T. "Midge wants to ride the wagon down the hill near the school in the go-cart races the little humans are doing today."

"You can't do that," said Gabby. "It is for the humans. I don't think they will let you ride in it."

"I can sneak in with the wagon," said Midge.

"How are you going to do that?" asked Gabby.

"I have my idea," assured Midge. "Do you want to come with us?"

"I want to see how you are going to do it," said Gabby. "Start pulling the wagon."

Midge turned around and picked the handle back up and they started on their way to Jake's house. They hurried through the gate at Jake's house and found him napping on the front porch.

"Hey Jake!" called Midge as they came through the gate.

Jake sat up. "Hi Midge," greeted Jake. "What are you doing with the wagon?"

"I want to ride the wagon in the go-cart races," said Midge.

"What race?" asked Jake.

"My owners' nephew is riding a go-cart in the race at the school today," said Midge. "I'm going to ride the wagon in the race."

"You can't ride in the race," said Jake. "They won't let you."

"I am going to sneak into the race," said Midge. "I'm sneaky Midge."

"I know you are sneaky," laughed Jake. "But I don't think they will let you in the race.

"I can," said Midge. "Come on with me to the school and I'll show you."

"Midge," said Booker-T. "You could get hurt."

"Booker-T is right," said Jake.

"I agree," said Gabby.

"Lets go," said Midge as she turned around and started to pull the wagon toward the gate.

"Come on guys," said Jake. "Lets go with Midge. If she tries this, she will need us there."

They followed Midge through the gate as she hurried to the school. When they got to the school, they saw the road that sloped down blocked off so no cars could come into the area. Lot of small humans were standing around with their home-made go-carts.

"Good morning everyone," said a voice over the loud speaker. "It's good to see you all here for the annual go-cart races for the school. First up will be Jimmy and Jason competing against each other as they go down the hill. Good luck boys."

The two boys walked to the starting line with their go-carts. Midge got ready to hurry to the line when they started down the hill. As the boys jumped into their carts, Midge ran up with the wagon and leaped into the wagon as it started going down the hill. She forgot to grab the handle and the wagon went down the hill with the handle on the ground in front. She could hear the little humans laughing and clapping and Jake and Booker-T calling her name. Near the bottom of the hill, the handle hit a small hole and the wagon suddenly came to a stop and Midge flipped out of the wagon onto the road. Jake and Booker-T ran down the hill to where Midge sat near the wagon. Gabby flew down and landed on her head.

"That was a cool flip, Midge," laughed Gabby. "Are you okay?"

"I'm good," said Midge.

"Okay," said Jake. "You did okay. Now lets go home."

Jake grabbed the handle to the wagon and they walked home to Jake's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T