Friday, April 23, 2021

The New Petting Zoo Animal

 

Midge crawled through the doggie door and started to walk around the house to the front yard. As she turned the corner she jumped and she felt her heart beating hard. Coming around the corner she was startled by Booker-T.

"Oh!" said Midge. "You scared me. What are you doing?"

"Hi Midge," smiled Booker-T. "I was coming to see you. What are you doing?"

"I was coming to your house," laughed Midge. "You beat me here."

"I was coming to get you so we can go to Jake's house and then walk to the zoo building," said Booker-T."

"Me too," smiled Midge. "Come on, lets go get Jake."

The two hurried across the front yard to the gate and got to the sidewalk and started strolling along when Gabby swooped down from above and landed on Midge's head.

"Hi Gabby," smiled Midge. "What are you doing?"

"What are you two doing?" asked Gabby.

"We are going to get Jake," said Midge.

"We are going to go to the little zoo building to see what animals are there today," added Booker-T.

"I was just there," said Gabby.

"What kind of animals are there today?" asked Midge. "Do they have some nice ones?"

"The petting zoo is back now and there is a really pretty little bunny," said Gabby.

"I want to see the bunny," said Booker-T. "I like little bunnies."

"What animals are inside?" asked Midge.

"Inside," said Gabby. "I saw a big bird there."

"What kind of bird?" asked Booker-T.

"I think it is a hawk," said Gabby. "They are bigger than I am."

"I remember seeing an eagle," said Midge. "Is a hawk the same as an eagle?"

"No," said Gabby. "It is different."

"What else is there today?" asked Midge.

"Let me think a minute," said Gabby jumping off Midge's head and landing on the sidewalk in front of her. "I saw a real big animal and the sign said it was a rhino."

"What is a rhino?" asked Booker-T.

"It is a really big animal like the hippos," said Gabby.

"Wow, they have animals we haven't seen yet," said Midge.

"What else Gabby?" asked Booker-T. "I want to see a tiger. I like them."

"No tigers today," said Gabby. "I think the other ones were a baby deer and a baby brown bear."

"Where are their mothers?" asked Midge.

"I don't know," said Gabby.

"Come with us," said Midge. "We are going to Jake's house."

Gabby flew above Booker-T and Midge as they started walking along the sidewalk. They hurried through the gate at Jake's house and found Jake sleeping in the porch swing. They walked to the porch and Midge touched her nose to Jake's nose. Jake jumped up and opened his eyes and there in front of him stood Midge, starting at him.

"What are you doing, Midge?" asked Jake.

"Booker-T, Gabby and I came to see you," said Midge.

"Hi Gabby and Booker-T," said Jake. "I was napping."

"Do you want to go to the zoo building?" asked Midge.

"Yes," said Jake.

"Gabby said there is a bunny at the petting zoo in the back," said Midge. "He said the petting zoo is back now."

"What is in the big zoo building?" asked Jake.

"Gabby said there is a rhino and a baby bear and a baby deer," said Booker-T.

"Come on, Let's go," said Midge.

The three walked through the gate and started along the sidewalk to the zoo. Gabby flew above them. When they got to the street corner, they stood there a few minutes checking the street both directions. No cars were coming so they ran across the street and walked to the back of the zoo building. At the Petting zoo, they saw a little humans inside the fenced area walking around laughing and petting the little animals. Midge looked around for the little bunny.

"I don't see the little bunny," said Midge. "Do you see it?"

"See that little human girl over there," said Jake. "I think she is holding the little bunny."

They walked around the fence to the other side. The little girl human was holding the bunny on her lap and petting it. They stood there watching the bunny.

"Hi," said Midge.

The little bunny looked at Midge. "Are you talking to me?" asked the little bunny.

"Yes," said Midge.

"Hi," said the bunny. "Do the little humans understand what you are saying?"

"No," said Midge. "Only animals can hear us."

"Me too," said the bunny. "I know what they say, but I don't think they know what we say."

"No, they don't," said Booker-T. "I don't know why humans don't know what we say."

"Maybe humans are not as smart as we are," laughed Jake.

"We are smarter than they are," said Midge.

"But, if we are smarter than they are," said Booker-T. "Why do they take care of us. Why don't we take care of them?"

"I don't know," said Jake.

"What is your name?" asked Midge.

"I'm Jenny," said the little bunny. "What is your name?"

"I'm Midge and these are my friends, Jake and Booker-T," said Midge.

"Hi everyone," said Jenny. "Why are you out there?"

"We are pets for humans so we don't stay in the zoo," said Booker-T.

"I'm in a zoo?" asked Jenny.

"You are in a petting zoo," said Midge. "It is a little different. It is for little humans so they can come pet you."

"Petting is nice," smiled Jenny. "I like being petted. Do you get petted too?"

"We have big humans who pet us every day," smiled Jake.

"That's nice," said Jenny.

"Yes," said Midge. "Where do you sleep at night?"

"We go to this warm building at night and I have a warm straw bed I sleep in. Sometimes times the little billy goat will come sleep near me," smiled Jenny.

"That's nice you have a little friend," said Midge. "We will be your friend and will come to see you when you are here."

"I like that," said Jenny.

"We will see you later," said Jake. "We are going inside to see the animals in the building."

"Okay," smiled Jenny. "Can I come with you?"

"I don't think they will let you out to go inside," said Booker-T. "But we will come back to see you before we go home."

"Okay," sighed Jenny. "I will watch for you to come again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T