Friday, April 2, 2021

Midge is Nervous

 

Midge paced back and forth in the front yard. She turned around three times and then started to pace again. Booker-T stood at the gate and watched her. Again she turned around three times and then again she started to pace back and forth. Jake walked up and stood beside Booker-T.

"Why don't you go in?" asked Jake.

"I was watching Midge," said Booker-T.

"What is she doing?" asked Jake.

"I don't know," said Booker-T.

"Hey Midge!" called Jake as he walked through the gate and went to the porch.

Midge went back and forth two more times.

"Midge!" called Jake.

"Oh hi," said Midge. "What are you doing?"

"Booker-T and I came to see what you are doing," said Jake. "Why are you pacing back and forth and going in circles?"

"I am nervous," said Midge. "I'm okay, you know."

"We know you are okay," said Booker-T.

"Why are you nervous?" asked Jake.

"I have to go to somewhere tomorrow," sighed Midge. "Do you think everything will be okay?"

"Is it time for your yearly shots at the Vets?" asked Jake.

"I don't know," said Midge. "I forgot when I went there the last time."

"Maybe it's time for your yearly checkup," suggested Booker-T. "Don't worry Midge. You will be okay."

"I wish I could remember when I was there the last time," said Midge.

"Have you been sick?' asked Jake.

"No," said Midge shaking her head. "I haven't been sick. I eat good and I drink water."

"Maybe it is just your yearly check up and shots," said Booker-T. "Don't worry Midge. Jake and I have to do the same thing every year."

"I think the humans do the same thing," said Jake.

"My owner goes every year for her checkup," said Booker-T.

"Mine does too," said Midge.

"See Midge," said Jake. "You are doing something that humans do too."

"Funny," smiled Midge.

"You always want to do what the humans do," said Booker-T.

"But I want to do the fun stuff," said Midge. "Not go to the vet. Humans don't go to the vet."

"No," said Jake. "They go to human doctors and we go to the vet."

"Why?" asked Midge.

"Because the vet is a doctor for animals," said Jake. "We can't go to the human doctors and they don't go the vets."

"Do you like going to the vet?" asked Midge.

"She is a nice animal doctor," smiled Booker-T. "She always pets me when I go before she gives me my shot."

"I think we all go to the same vet," said Jake. "Miss Janie."

"Yes, me too," said Midge.

"Me too," said Booker-T. "We will wait for you to go to the vet and then we will go and maybe we will go see if they have any animals at the zoo place when you get home."

"Okay," said Midge. "Are you sure I am okay?"

"Midge," said Jake. "Stop worrying about it. You are okay."

"How do you know?" asked Midge.

"You don't look sick," said Booker-T. "Lets go for a walk to the park."

"Do you want to go to the park?" asked Jake. "We can go have some fun splashing in the pond and you can forget about tomorrow."

"That's a good idea," said Booker-T. "You really don't know where you are going, right?"

"I guess you are right," said Midge.

"How do you know you are going somewhere tomorrow?" asked Jake.

"My owner was talking to someone on the phone this morning before she went to work," said Midge. "She said she would bring me in tomorrow morning."

"Don't worry," said Jake. "We have good owners and they take good care of us."

"I know," said Midge. "I know my owner loves me."

"She does Midge." said Booker-T, "Now lets go play!"

Midge agreed and followed Booker-T and Jake to the park. They looked both ways and crossed the street into the park.

"Hey Midge," said Jake. "Look the little train is running. Do you want to ride it?"

"Sure," smiled Midge. "Lets hurry."

They ran to the station before the train arrived there. When the train pulled up next to the station and stopped, the three leaped into the last car and sat waiting for the train to move. The car didn't move.

"Why are we not moving, Jake?" asked Booker-T.

"I don't know," said Jake looking around. "Wait, there is a sign on the door of the little station."

Jake jumped of the train and ran to the door to read the sign. He went back to the train.

"Come on," said Jake. "Lets go home. The sign says they aren't running the trains until tomorrow."

"Why was the train moving?" asked Midge.

"I think maybe they were only testing it," said Jake. "Lets go home."

They agreed and started to walk to Jake's house. "Come on Midge. Don't worry about tomorrow."

They walked to Jake's and laid down for a nap on the porch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T