Friday, August 6, 2021

The Wild Wagon Ride

 

Midge ran out of the bedroom and leaped into the chair next to Snappy's tank. She stood on her hind legs and peaked over the top of the tank.

"Hi Snappy," said Midge. "What are you doing?"

"I was sleeping," said Snappy as he stretched and stood up looking up at Midge. "What are you doing?"

"I just woke up and ran out to say hi," said Midge.

"What are you going to do today with Jake and Booker-T?" asked Snappy. "I miss playing with you at the pond sometimes."

"Jake said he would take you to the park in the wagon if you want to visit the pond," said Midge.

"I miss playing with you, but I don't miss the pond," smiled Snappy. "I'm happy when you all come to visit. I like my tank home."

"I'll have Booker-T and Jake come see you," said Midge.

"Are you going to Jake's house today?" asked Snappy.

"Yes," said Midge. "I'm going to walk there with Booker-T."

"What are you doing today?" asked Snappy.

"I want to ride the wagon on the skateboard ramp," smiled Midge.

"Oh," said Snappy. "What will Jake say about that?"

"I don't think he will like it," said Midge. "But I want to ride it. I think it will be easier

than the skateboard. I tried that once and fell off."

"Okay Midge," said Snappy.

"Hi you guys," said Booker-T as he entered the living room.

"Hi Booker-T," said Snappy. "What are you doing?"

"I was waiting for Midge but she didn't come," said Booker-T. "I came to find you, Midge."

"I was talking to Snappy." smiled Midge. "I was getting ready to come to your house."

"What are you doing Snappy?" asked Booker-T as he leaped into the chair and pushed his nose against the glass. "I like your new flowers."

"Me too," smiled Snappy.

"Okay," said Midge. "We are going to Jake's house now. Come on Booker-T.

"Good luck Midge," smiled Snappy.

Booker-T followed Midge through the kitchen and out the doggie door.

"Why did Snappy wish you good luck?" asked Booker-T.

"I don't know," said Midge as she walked over to get the wagon.

"What are you going to do with the wagon?" asked Booker-T.

"I want to ride it down the hill," said Midge.

"What hill?" asked Booker-T. "Are we going to the hills behind the school?"

"Maybe," said Midge. "Come on, lets go get Jake."

"Why do you want to ride the wagon down the hill?" asked Booker-T as they walked along the sidewalk.

"It is fun," smiled Midge.

"But you fell out of the wagon last time," said Booker-T.

"I will hang onto the handle good," said Midge. "I will do good this time."

Midge and Booker-T walked through the gate into Jake's yard and found him sitting on the front porch.

"Hi Jake," said Midge.

"Hi Midge. Hi Booker-T," said Jake. "What are you doing with the wagon?"

"I want to ride it down the hill," smiled Midge. "I will hold on to the handle and I can do it this time."

"You fell out of the wagon last time you tried to go down the hill," said Jake. "It is hard to steer the wagon with your teeth."

"It will be okay," said Midge. "I can do it."

"You know she will do it," said Booker-T.

"Okay," said Jake. "Lets go."

The three started walking along the sidewalk to the school. When they neared the skateboard ramp, Midge stopped and stood staring at the ramp.

"Come on Midge," said Jake.

"Midge," said Booker-T. "Lets go."

Midge just stood staring.

"Midge," said Jake. "Are you okay?"

"Jake," said Midge. "This is the hill I want to ride on."

"Midge," said Jake. "This can be dangerous. You remember what happened when you tried to ride the skateboard."

"I remember, but the skateboard didn't have a handle," said Midge. "I have a handle on the wagon I can hold."

"Midge," said Booker-T. "Why do you want to go down the ramp?"

"It will be fun," said Midge as she pulled the wagon toward the stairs to the top. "You can ride the wagon too."

"Midge," said Jake. "You should be careful. I don't want you to get hurt."

"Me too," said Booker-T.

Midge climbed the steps to the top.

Clunk clunk, clunk went the wheels as she pulled the wagon up the steps.

Jake and Booker-T stood at the bottom and watched.

Midge pushed the wagon around so the front of the wagon faced the ramp. She climbed into the wagon and held on to the handle. She took her hind leg and pushed the wagon forward and pulled her leg back into the wagon as it started down the hill.

"Wheee!" shouted Midge and it got faster going down.

At the bottom of the hill, it started back up the other side. It got half way up the hill and then rolled backwards down the hill and went short way up back up the other side and then back down to the bottom where is stopped.

"That was fun!" said Midge. "Do you want to try Jake?"

"Okay," said Jake. "You did it. Now I want to try."

"Me too Jake," smiled Booker-T.

Jake pulled the wagon up the steps to the top while Midge and Booker-T followed him up the steps.

Jake climbed in the wagon and grabbed the handle in his teeth. "Push me Midge!" said Jake.

Midge pushed the wagon and it went rolling down the hill and up the other side. About half way up the other side, it started to roll back down and up the first side again before it stopped at the bottom.

"That was fun," said Jake. "Wait Booker-T and I'll pull the wagon back up the steps so you can ride it."

At the top, Booker-T climbed in the wagon and held on to the handle in his mouth. Jake pushed the wagon and down the hill went the wagon going fast and then up the other side. It didn't go up too far when it started to come back down. At the bottom it stopped.

"What happened?" asked Booker-T. "Why did it stop? Your wagon ride went little longer."

"Jake is heavier then you are," said Midge. "So the wagon went faster. Wasn't it fun?"

"Lets do it again!" said Booker-T.

"Look over there," said Jake. "little humans are coming to ride their skateboards so we can go home now."

"Okay," sighed Midge. "We can come do it again another day."

"Okay," agreed Jake.

Jake took the handle of the wagon and the three walked to Midge's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T