Friday, October 15, 2021

The Runaway

 


Midge woke up when her owner got out of the bed and went into the bathroom to clean up for the day at work. She sat on the edge of the bed a few minutes. When she heard the shower running in the bathroom, she jumped to the floor and ran to the living room. She leaped into the chair beside Snappy's tank.

"Good morning, Snappy," greeted Midge.

"Hi Midge," said Snappy. "What are you doing?"

"I just woke up," said Midge. "Our owner is getting ready for work."

"What are you going to do today?" asked Snappy.

"I don't know yet," said Midge. "Booker-T and I are going to Jake's house. Maybe we will go play in the park. Do you want to come with us?"

"No," smiled Snappy. "I think I am safer staying here in my little home."

"We miss playing with you at the pond," said Midge. "But we understand. Stay safe in your new home."

"I will," said Snappy. "Tell Booker-T hello for me."

"Hello," said Booker-T as he entered the room and leaped into the chair on the other side of the tank. "What are you and Midge talking about?"

"Midge asked me if I wanted to come along with you to Jake's house," said Snappy.

"Do you want to come with us?" asked Booker-T. "Jake will come and help you get into the wagon and you can come with us."

"No," said Snappy. "I like it here and am safe here."

"Okay," said Booker-T. "I know how you feel."

"You feel safe at home?" asked Snappy

"Oh yes," said Booker-T. "Midge helped me find a nice home."

"Midge is so nice," smiled Snappy. "She did the same thing for me when it was so cold outside."

"I remember," smiled Booker-T.

"I'm happy that you are happy with you nice homes," said Midge.

"We are," agreed Booker-T. "What are we going to do today?"

"I don't know yet," said Midge. "We will have to ask Jake."

"Are you ready to go to Jake's house?" asked Booker-T.

"Okay," said Midge. "Lets go. We will see you later, Snappy. Bye."

"Bye guys," said Snappy poking his nose onto the glass. "Have fun."

Midge and Booker-T hurried out the door and ran around the house to the front. As they went through the gate onto the sidewalk, they saw someone come walking around the corner of the water park.

"Hey Midge!" said Booker-T. "Look over there."

"Where?" asked Midge looking around.

"Over by the water park," said Booker-T. "What is that?"

Midge looked over at the water park and spotted someone coming with red hair. "Is that Clyde?"

"Maybe that's who that is," suggested Booker-T. "Lets go see what he is doing?"

Midge and Booker-T ran across the street and came up behind who they thought was Clyde. "Hey Clyde!" said Midge. "Is that you?"

Clyde quickly turned around and saw Midge and Booker-T standing there. "Yes, I'm Clyde."

"We thought you went to the big zoo," said Booker-T. "What are you doing here?"

"I ran away," said Clyde. "The guy stopped the truck and went into some place to get something to eat and I got the truck door open and jumped out."

"Why?" asked Midge. "Don't you want to go be with some friends in a nice big place?"

"I want to have fun," said Clyde.

"You can have fun in your new home with friends who are like you," said Midge.

"Maybe I don't want to live there," said Clyde. "You don't know. Why don't you go in my place."

"I don't look like you do," laughed Midge. "They would know I wasn't Clyde."

"Booker-T is almost the same color as me," said Clyde. "He can go in my place."

"Booker-T is smaller than you are," said Midge.

"I don't look like you Clyde," laughed Booker-T. "They would know I wasn't you."

"Can I play with you two and I can go back to that place later," said Clyde.

Midge looked at Booker-T and back at Clyde. "Think he can come with us today?"

"Maybe," said Booker-T. "What happens if they find him with us?"

"They will just pick him up," said Midge. "We didn't take him."

Midge turned around and Clyde wasn't there. "Where did Clyde go?"

"I don't know," said Booker-T as he looked around. "I don't see him."

"Hey Clyde!" called Midge. "Where are you?" Come out, come out wherever you are."

"Clyde," said Booker-T. "You sure disappeared fast."

"Ha ha ha," laughed Clyde.

Midge looked up and there in the tree above, sat Clyde.

"What are you doing up there in the tree?" asked Midge.

"I am sitting here looking at you," smiled Clyde. "Why don't you come up and sit with me."

"I can't climb the tree," said Midge.

"I can come up," said Booker-T.

"Why are you up there in the tree?" asked Midge. "I thought they were taking you to the zoo."

"I ran away," laughed Clyde.

"Why?" asked Booker-T.

"I wanted to go home," said Clyde.

"Do you know where your home is?" asked Midge.

"Hey guys!" said Jake as he walked up to where Booker-T and Midge were standing there looking up at the tree. "What are you doing?"

"We are talking to Clyde," said Midge.

"I thought Clyde went to the zoo," said Jake.

"I ran away," said Clyde. "I don't want to go to the zoo."

"But you can have lot of fun at the zoo," said Jake. "And it will be a safe place for you to live."

"Do you want to come live at the zoo with me?" asked Clyde.

"No," said Midge. "We live with our owners in their houses."

"But I will be all alone at the zoo," sighed Clyde. "Who am I going to play with?"

"Maybe you won't be alone," suggested Jake. "There may be other monkeys like you."

"I'm not a monkey," said Clyde. "I am Clyde the orangutan and I like to play."

"Those big humans are probably looking for you," said Booker-T. "You can go to the zoo and see if there are others like you there."

"Here come the big humans," whispered Jake into Midge's ear.

"Oh!" said Midge.

"Oh what?" asked Clyde.

"Oh, I'm sad you won't go to the zoo," said Midge.

"Why?" asked Clyde.

"I want you to be in a safe home," said Midge. "Go check out the zoo and see if you like it."

"Okay," said Clyde as he started to climb out of the tree.

The two big humans came up from behind and tossed a rope around Clyde. "Lets go monkey!"

"He doesn't even know what I am," said Clyde as they walked him to their truck.

Midge, Jake and Booker-T stood at the tree and watched them drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T