Friday, December 10, 2021

Lets Go Sledding

 

When Midge woke up, she ran to the living room and jumped in the chair next to Snappy's and pressed her nose to the window. "It's snowing!" said Midge. "And the ground is all white."

"Hi Midge," said Snappy. "Is the white ground a good thing?"

"Hi Snappy," smiled Midge. "Yes, it's good to have the ground covered in lots of snow."

"Why?" asked Snappy. "I remember snow is cold."

"I can ride the sled down the hill now," said Midge.

"Do you think you should try to ride the sled again?" asked Snappy. "Didn't you land in the snow head first the last time you rode the sled?"

"Well, yes," said Midge. "But I am older now."

"But you still don't have hands to hold the wagon handle," said Snappy.

"I will hold on to it with my teeth," said Midge. "I know I can do it this year."

"Do Jake and Booker-T want to ride the sled too?" asked Snappy.

"I don't know," said Midge. "I haven't told them I want to ride it today."

"Maybe when you ride it down the hill, they will ride it too," said Snappy. "You can ask them."

"I will," said Midge. "I'll pull the sled to Jake's house."

"That might work," said Snappy. "But Jake does worry about some of the things you want to do."

"I know," said Midge. "I just like to do the things that humans do. They have lot of fun."

"Have fun if you ride the sled down the hill," smiled Snappy.

"Okay," said Midge as she leaped out of the chair and ran to the kitchen to eat her breakfast before going out the door.

Outside she walked around looking for the sled, but it wasn't on the side of the house where it used to be. Midge hurried around to the front of the house where she found Booker-T sitting on the sled.

"Hi Booker-T," greeted Midge. "What are you doing?"

"I found your sled in front of the porch," said Booker-T. "Are you going to ride the sled down the hill again?"

"I want to," said Midge. "You can ride it too. Maybe Jake will ride it too."

"Lets go to Jake's," said Booker-T. "Can I ride the sled to Jake's house?"

"Sure," smiled Midge. "Jump on. I'm stronger this year. I can pull you now."

Booker-T jumped on the sled and Midge pulled him on the sled along the sidewalk. They hurried through the gate at Jake's house and found Jake sleeping in the swing.

"Hey Jake!" called Midge. "Wake up!"

"I'm awake," said Jake.

"You were sleeping," laughed Booker-T.

"I just took a little nap," laughed Jake. "What are you guys doing with the sled?"

"We want to ride it down the hill by the school," said Midge.

"Are you going to ride it too, Booker-T?" asked Jake.

"Yes, I think so," said Booker-T. "You can ride it too."

"Maybe," said Jake. "Okay, lets go to the hill."

"Okay!" smiled Midge as she picked up the handle of the sled.

"Do you want me to pull the sled?" asked Jake.

"Sure," said Midge. "Booker-T wants to ride it."

"Okay," said Jake. "Jump on Booker-T and I'll pull you to the hill. I know you don't like the cold on your feet."

Jake pulled the sled with Midge walking beside him and Booker-T on the sled. When they got to the hill, they stood looking up at the hill. slowly they started to walk toward the hill.

"Can you stay on the sled when we go up the hill?" asked Jake. "You can ride if you can stay on."

"I will try," said Booker-T. "I'm ready, lets go."

Jake and Midge started walking up the hill to the top. Suddenly the sled felt lighter as Jake pulled it up the hill.

"Oh no!" said Jake when he turned to look back at the sled. "Booker-T! Are you okay?"

Midge turned and ran back to where Booker-T lay in the snow with his feet in the air.

"Booker-T," said Midge. "Are you okay? Speak to me."

"I'm fine," said Booker-T. "The snow is cold on my back."

"Can you walk up the hill with us?" asked Jake. "You might fall off again if you ride up the hill."

"Do you still want to ride the sled down the hill?" asked Midge. "If you want to, we can ride the sled together."

"I would like that," said Booker-T. "I can sit behind you."

"Okay," smiled Midge. "Lets go up the hill with Jake."

"Are you okay, Booker-T?" asked Jake.

"I'm okay," said Booker-T. "Just cold."

At the top of the hill, Jake held the sled as Midge and Booker-T climbed on top. Jake stood behind the sled while Midge took hold of the handle.

"Are you ready?" asked Jake.

"I'm ready," said Booker-T.

"Me too," said Midge. "Push!"

Jake put his head down and pushed against the sled until it started going down the hill.

"Hold on, Midge!" shouted Jake.

"Wheee!" shouted Booker-T. "This is fun."

"We are going fast," said Midge.

Someone make a ramp at the bottom of the hill and when the sled hit the ramp, it flew into the air and flew into the snowbank and Midge and Booker-T slid off the sled and landed in the snow.

"Midge!" shouted Jake as he ran down the hill to where the sled landed. "Booker-T! Are you two okay? Wow, your sled was flying."

"That was fun," said Midge as she stood up and shook herself off. "Are you okay Booker-T."

"I'm okay," said Booker-T. "I'm cold. Are you going to ride it, Jake. It was fun."

"Okay," said Jake. "I will try it."

Jake pulled the sled back up the hill. At the top of the hill, Jake climbed on the sled and it started sliding down the hill. Faster and faster it went. At the bottom, it hit the snowy ramp and the sled flew into the large snowbank and Jake slid off and into the snowbank head first with his hind legs in the air. Midge grabbed one leg and Booker-T grabbed the other one and pulled him out.

"Are you okay?" asked Midge.

"I am now," said Jake. "That was fun. Now I'm ready to go home and get warm."

"Okay," laughed Midge as they started walking home with the sled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T