Friday, December 31, 2021

The Last Day

 

"Hi Snappy," said Midge as she walked into the living room and leaped into the chair. "Do you know what day it is?"

"I think it is Friday," said Snappy.

"Yes," said Midge. "And what else?"

"Is there something else?" asked Snappy. "I only know it is Friday."

"And it's the last day of the year," said Midge. "Tomorrow will be the start of another new year."

"Wow," said Snappy. "A new year will start again."

"Yes," said Midge. "Every year it happens after Christmas. A week later, we start a new year with new things to do sometimes."

"Christmas was fun," said Snappy. "I like Christmas, but I think we fell asleep and didn't get to see this Santa Claus guy."

"I didn't see him either, Snappy," sighed Midge. "I really wanted to see what he looked like and if he was real."

"I think he is real," said Snappy. "He's magic."

"I think you are right," said Midge. "I like magic. He must be magic to go to every home in the world and bring the little humans what they wish for."

"Maybe we can try to see him next Christmas," said Snappy.

"Maybe we can," said Midge.

"What are you and Booker-T and Jake going to do today?" asked Snappy. "I think our owner is coming home early from work today."

"I think so," agreed Midge. "She is having a party here tonight with some friends and her brother and niece and nephew."

"What does that sign our owner hung over the door, say?" asked Snappy.

"I think it says Happy New Year," said Midge. "Jake will know when he gets here."

"When is New Year?" asked Snappy.

"Tomorrow is the New Year day," said Midge. "Today is New Years eve."

"What is New Years Eve?" asked Snappy.

"It is the day before the New Year day," said Midge. "Like Christmas eve is the day before Christmas day."

"Oh, wow," said Snappy. "How cool is that."

"Pretty cool, I think," said Midge.

"Here comes Jake," said Snappy.

Midge turned to face the door from the kitchen and Jake came through the door followed by Booker-T. "Hi guys," said Midge.

"Hi," smiled Jake. "Are you ready?"

"Ready for what?" asked Midge.

"Tomorrow is the first day of a new year," said Jake. "Is your owner going to have a new years eve party here?"

"Yes," said Midge. "Is your owners having one?"

"Mine is also having one," said Jake.

"How about you Booker-T?" asked Midge.

"I think my owner is coming to your house to party with your owner," said Booker-T.

"Do you want to come over and watch the fun?" asked Midge.

"I'll come too," said Jake. "My owner will be busy with the party, she will never know I'm gone."

"She won't get angry with you?" asked Midge. "I don't want you to get in trouble, Jake."

"It will be okay," said Jake.

"Okay," smiled Midge as she began to sing. "We are going to party tonight."

"It will be a lot of fun," said Booker-T. "I like parties and all the food they have."

"Me too," smiled Midge. "I like party food and with all the humans here, they always drop stuff on the floor, but you have to be careful when you go get the food so no one steps on your feet."

"What does that sign say, Jake?" asked Midge.

Jake turned around and looked at the sign above the door. "It says Happy New Year," said Jake.

"When does the New Year start?" asked Booker-T.

"At midnight, the new day starts," said Jake. "Today, it is 2021 year and tomorrow it will be 2022 year."

"Does your owner make the resolutions?" asked Booker-T. "I heard my owner telling someone on the phone that she had two resolutions to make. What is a resolution?"

"I don't know," said Midge. "I never heard my owner say anything about a resolution. Do you know Jake?"

"No," said Jake. "Maybe someone will talk about it at the party."

"Maybe it is some kind of food they are going to make for the party," said Midge. Maybe she is going to make them and bring them to the party."

"I will see what she makes," said Booker-T. "She is coming home from work early today. Maybe she will make those resolution things when she comes home."

"I wonder if they are good," said Midge.

"We will find out tonight," said Jake.

"You are in a good spot, Snappy," said Midge. "No one can step on you up there. You can look through the glass and watch them having fun."

"It will be fun," said Snappy. "I never saw a party before. She didn't have one of these parties last year, did she?"

"I don't remember," said Midge. "I think she went to a party with her friend."

"Here comes our owner, Midge," said Snappy. "I saw her just drive up in the car."

"Hurry Jake and Booker-T," said Midge. "Lets hide behind the chair."

They hurried behind the chair and watched her enter the room with a lot of balloons and a lot of party food. She let go of the gold and blue balloons and they rose to the ceiling. Midge came out from behind the chair and stood staring at all the balloons. "This will be fun," thought Midge. "I can play with the balloons."

"Hey, Midge!" whispered Jake. "Where is your owner? Can we sneak out and go home?"

"Are you coming back for the party?" asked Midge.

"Sure," said Jake.

"She just went into the bedroom," said Midge.

Jake and Booker-T hurried into the kitchen and out the doggie door with Midge following behind.

"I will see you tonight," said Midge. "Be careful walking over here."

"We will," said Jake.

When the party humans starting coming in, Booker-T and Jake hurried to the house and crawled into the house. Midge was sitting in the kitchen watching her owner taking food and drinks into the other room. "Hi guys," said Midge "Guess what Jake?"

"What?" asked Jake.

"Your owner is here too," said Midge. "She came in the house with your owner, Booker-T."

"Okay," said Jake. "If she sees me, she will think I followed her here."

"Me too," said Booker-T.

In a few minutes, music began to play in the other room and the three walked to the door and looked in. All the humans were wearing funny pointed hats and dancing. They laughed and ate food and drank something.

"Watch the floor guys," said Midge. "They always spill some stuff when they party."

The three stood near the door and watched for any food to drop to the floor so the could run in and eat it.

"It is Party time, guys," smiled Midge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T