Friday, April 22, 2022

Should We Stay Home Today

 

Midge sat on the end of her owner's bed waiting for her to get ready for her work day. She always gave midge fresh water and food before she left the house. She jumped to the floor and followed her owner to the kitchen where her owner filled her blue bowl with food and her white bowl with fresh water. When she set them on to the food mat with Midge's name at the top, she patted Midge on the head. “There you are girl,” said Midge's owner. “I need to go into work early this morning. I'll see you later, girl.”

Midge sat on the floor near her bowls and finished her breakfast as she heard her owner's car starting. She ran to the living room and leaped into the chair beside Snappy's tank and pressed her nose against the glass of Snappy's tank.

“Good morning Snappy,” smiled Midge.

“Hi Midge,” greeted Snappy. “I see our owner went to work early today.”

“Did she forget to feed you this morning?” asked Midge. “Yes, she was going to work early.”

“No,” said Snappy. “She gave me my food when she woke up. I think you were still sleeping.”

“Okay, good,” said Midge.

“Did you eat your breakfast?” asked Snappy.

“Yes,” smiled Midge. “And I left a little for later.”

“You always do that,” laughed Snappy.

“I know,” laughed Midge. “I always get hungry later so I save some.”

“What are you guys going to do today?” asked Snappy. 'I like your new friend, Lucy.”

“Me too,” said Midge.

“I think she is like you,” smiled Snappy.

“Why?” asked Midge.

“Because she wants to do human things like you do,” said Snappy. “She always wants to try new things.”

“But humans have lots of fun,” said Midge. “And we like to have fun!”

“Are you going to do human things today?” asked Snappy.

“I don't know yet,” said Midge. “Booker-T and I will go to Jake's house and then go to the farm where Lucy lives. Booker-T and Jake don't like it when I want to do human things.”

“They just don't want you to hurt yourself,” said Snappy.

“I know,” said Midge.

“Did you look outside?” asked Snappy.

“No,” said Midge as she turned and pressed her nose on the window. “Oh no, it snowed last night. I didn't know we were going to have some more snow today. I thought winter was done.”

“I didn't either,” said Booker-T as he entered the room. “My feet are cold.”

“Jump up in that other chair and stick your feet under that blanket,” said Midge.

Booker-T jumped into the chair and moved the blanket around until his little feet were covered. “That feels better,” said Booker-T. “Are we going to the farm today?”

“I thought we were,” said Midge. “But now I don't know because we got snow.”

“I wonder if Lucy likes the snow,” said Snappy.

“We can go slide down the hill if she likes the snow,” suggested Midge.

“May not be enough snow for the sled,” said Snappy. “It don't look like the ground is all covered in the snow.”

“Maybe we can slide down on the trashcan lid,” said Midge. “It goes faster than the sled.”

“Our feet will get cold,” said Booker-T.

“Jake's coming with Lucy,” said Snappy. “See them?”

“I see,” smiled Midge.

In a few minutes, Jake and Lucy entered the room.

“Hi guys,” said Jake. “It is cold out there this morning.”

“Yes,” sighed Booker-T. “More snow. I thought the snow was done now.”

“Maybe this will be the last time,” said Jake. “Maybe the sun will melt it fast today. It's too late for snow.”

“Do you want to go ride the trashcan down the hill?” asked Midge.

“I'm cold,” said Lucy as she sat and shivered.

“Climb up with the blanket where Booker-T is,” suggested Midge.

Lucy jumped into the chair and curled up with Booker-T. “This is nice and warm,” said Lucy.

“Maybe we should stay home today and stay warm,” suggested Midge.

“I think that is a good idea,” smiled Lucy. “What do you think Jake?”

“That is a good idea,” said Jake. “ We can wait til next winter to go sledding in the snow.”

Lucy was warm in the blanket and she feel asleep. Soon Midge, Jake and Booker-T also drifted off to sleep.

“Well, looks like I'm the only one awake now,” laughed Snappy. “I think this is going to be a quiet day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T