Sunday, July 17, 2022

The Garden

 

Midge and Booker-T strolled along the sidewalk on their way to Jake's house. 

   "What are we going to do today?" asked Booker-T.

  "I don't know," laughed Midge.  "You always ask me and I don't know sometimes."

  "But sometimes you know," said Booker-T.   "Do you have any ideas for today?"

 "No," said Midge.  "Do you?"

  "No," said Booker-T.  "Maybe Jake or Lucy will have an idea for something to do."

  As they got close to Jake's house, they saw one of his neighbors digging in the their yard.

  "What is she doing?" asked Booker-T.  "Is she going to bury something in the yard?"

 "I don't know," said Midge.  "She is digging a hole but it don't look like a very big hole,  Maybe Jake knows what she is doing."

  They entered the yard and walked to the porch where they found Jake napping in the swing.

  "Hey Jake!" called Midge as she tapped him on the top of his head with her paw.  "Wake up Jake!  We are here to see you."

 "Hi guys," smiled Jake as he sat up and stretched.  "What are you guys doing?"

  "We just got here," said Midge.

 "What is your neighbor doing over there across the street?" asked Booker-T.

 "Why?" asked Jake.

  "I don't know," said Booker-T.  "Looks like she is digging holes in the yard.  Is she trying to hide something like you did with your bones one day."

"Maybe she lost something," said Midge.  "You lost your bones when you buried them.  Maybe she did too."

 "I don't think she is looking for lost bones," laughed Jake.  "She don't even have a dog."

 "Don't she like dogs?" sighed Midge.

 "I don't know," said Jake. "Maybe she just likes to dig holes."

"Maybe she has a cat," suggested Booker-T. 

"I have never seen a cat over there," said Jake.

 "Maybe she don't like pets," said Midge.

"Maybe," said Jake.  "I think she lives alone over there.  I never see anyone there."

"That's sad, Jake," said Booker-T.  "Maybe she is lonesome."

"Can we go visit her?" asked Midge. "Maybe she needs a friend."

"But you can't talk to her," said Jake.

 "I know," said Midge.

"I think you want to see what she is doing with all those holes in the yard," laughed Booker-T.

"Maybe we can help her dig the holes," suggested Midge.  We dig holes real good."

"She likes to plant flowers," said Jake.  "Maybe she is planting more flowers."

"My owner likes flowers too," smiled Midge.

 "Mine does too," said Jake.  "See all those pretty red flowers over there?  She planted those yesterday afternoon."

"Our neighbor has a vegetable garden," said Booker-T.

 "Which neighbor?" asked Midge.

 "The one on the other side of me," said Booker-T.

"I don't like vegetables," said Midge.

"Humans do," said Jake.  "I heard my owner telling her niece that vegetables are good for her."

"They can eat them," smiled Midge.  "I don't want them."

"Hey," said Booker-T.  "Isn't that Lucy over there with your neighbor?"

"It looks like Lucy," said Jake.

 "What is she doing over there?" asked Midge. "Do you want to go see?"

"Okay," said Jake.  "Lets go."

   The three walked across the street and found Lucy sitting next to the lady while she dug her holes.  Now and then the lady patted Lucy on the head and smiled at her.

 "Hi Lucy," said Jake.

 "Hi guys," said Lucy.  "This is my new friend."

"We just saw you over here," smiled Midge.  "We saw her digging holes."

"How did you meet her?" asked Jake.

"I was on my way to your house and I saw her drop something and it rolled out to the street,"said Lucy. I ran over and picked it up and took it to her. She patted me on the head and I laid down beside her and watched her dig her holes for those new plants laying on the ground."

"That was nice," smiled Midge.  "I was telling Jake that I thought she was alone."

"I think she needs a friend," said Booker-T.

"Maybe we can find her a friend," suggested Midge.

"Do you think she would be happy with a pet?" asked Lucy.

"She was comfortable with you," said Jake. "Maybe she would like to have a nice pet."  

 "Midge," said Booker-T.  "You are good at finding homes for pets.  Maybe you can find her a nice puppy or kitten."

"We can let Gabby know," said Midge.  "He goes all over the city and he might see one."

"We will ask him when we see him again," said Booker-T.

"All we need to do is find a little puppy or kitten needing a nice home," said Midge.  "And lead him to her house. I'm sure she will help the little lost animal."

"you are so smart, Midge, "said Lucy. 

"She helped me get my home and she helped Snappy get his," said Booker-T.  "All she needs is to find a puppy or kitten to help and she will find it a home,"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T