Friday, October 21, 2022

Are You Cold

 

Midge was sitting on the porch dressed in a pretty blue sweater and sitting on a warm blanket that laid on the swing. Jake and Lucy walked through the gate and ran to the porch. Behind them, Booker-T ran through the gate.

Hi Midge,” said Jake.

Are you cold?” asked Lucy.

No,” said Midge.

Why are you wearing the sweater?” asked Booker-T.

Did you hear the weather this morning?” asked Midge. “I'm ready.”

Ready for what?” asked Jake.

That weather guy who tells everyone what the weather is going to be,” said Midge. “Said that it is going to freeze this evening so I am ready.”

But it's not cold right now,” said Lucy. “Aren't you too hot now?”

No, I'm good,” smiled Midge. “It isn't cold, but it isn't hot either.”

You can't go swim in the pond with your sweater on,” said Booker-T.

Are we going to swim in the pond today?” asked Midge.

Do you want to do something else?” asked Jake.

We can go swim if you want to,” said Midge.

If it's going to get really cold soon,” said Lucy. “This might be the last time we can go swim in the pond. I don't like getting wet when it is cold outside.”

I don't like getting wet either,” said Midge. “When it is cold, I feel like a popsicle when I get wet.”

Me too,” said Booker-T. “I don't think our fur is helping too much sometimes.”

You need to take off the sweater if we are going to go swim,” said Jake.

Can you help me?” asked Midge.

What do you want me to do?” asked Jake.

Grab a hold of my sweater and the back of my neck and I will pull myself out,” suggested Midge.

Jake bit down on the sweater at her neck and Midge pulled her head backwards trying to get out of the sweater.

I'm stuck!” said Midge.

Pull harder,” said Lucy.

Booker-T sat back laughing at Midge with the sweater over her head.

What are you laughing at?” asked Midge.

You look like the headless dog,” laughed Jake.

Not funny,” said Midge.

It is funny,” laughed Lucy. “It would be good costume for Halloween when it comes. You can be the headless dog.”

Help me get out of the sweater,” sighed Midge.

Okay,” said Jake. “Lucy can grab one side and Booker-T can grab the other side and I will grab the back. When I count to three, we will all pull and you go backward.”

Okay,” said Midge.

They each too a hold of the sweater and Jake counted to three. They pulled and Midge backed up and popped her head out of the sweater.

Whew,” said Midge. “I'm out”

Now pull your feet out of it,” said Jake.

Midge laid down on the porch and used her mouth to help pull her legs out of the sweater. She picked the sweater up and laid it on the porch before the four of them ran through the gate to go to the pond in the park.

Is it really going to freeze tonight?” asked Lucy. “I don't like the really cold weather.”

That is what the man said,” said Midge. “My owner was watching the weather before going to work and when he said it was going to freeze, I carried my sweater to her to put on me. She laughed at me too but she put it on.”

Looking like a headless dog was funny,” said Jake. “It is almost Halloween and all the little humans will be out there with their costumes on and going to all the houses to get candy.”

Do you like Halloween?” asked Booker-T.
“I like seeing all the funny costumes when the little humans come to the house,” said Lucy.

Me too,” said Jake. “They are so funny.”

My owner likes to have a party where everyone wears a costume,” said Midge. “The big humans like to dress up too.”

My owner puts a costume on when she answers the door to give out the candy,” said Lucy.

Mine does too and sometimes she puts something on me because I stand at the door and watch when she opens it,” said Jake.

What are you going to be this year?” asked Midge.

I think she is dressing me up to be a unicorn,” smiled Jake.

You will make a good unicorn,” said Lucy. “You are a big dog.”

What do you want to be, Midge?” asked Booker-T.

I want to be a princess,” said Midge holding her head up high.

Oh, Princess Midge,” laughed Jake.

I would be a good princess,” said Midge. “And you can be my subjects.”

What is a subject?” asked Booker-T. “I'm a cat. I don't know how to be this thing called a subject.”

I don't think I want to be a subject either,” said Lucy. “Can we just be your friends?”

Do you want to dress up for Halloween, Booker-T?” asked Jake.

I want to be a wild tiger,” smiled Booker-T.

You are always a tiger,” said Jake. “Don't you want to be something else this time?”

No,” said Booker-T. “I like being a tiger.”

What do you want to be Lucy?” asked Midge.

I'm not sure,” said Lucy. “Can you think of something for me?”

I think you would be a pretty pony,” said Jake.

A pretty golden pony,” said Midge. “I can be a princess and you can be my pretty pony.”

You can't ride me,” said Lucy. “You are too big.”

I will be a princess and walk beside you,” said Midge.

Okay,” said Lucy.

Lets go swim now,” said Jake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T