Friday, February 28, 2020

Ride The Wagon


Midge crawled through the doggie door into the back yard and ran to the wagon and picked up the handle. She pulled it across the back yard and around the corner on her way to the front yard. She pulled it through the front gate and onto the sidewalk going to Booker-T's house. She tried to pull the wagon through the gate into Booker-T's front yard. The rear wheel got caught on the fence post. She pulled hard, but the wheel was stuck.
"Hey Midge!" called Booker-T as he walked to the gate. "What are you trying to do?"
"My wagon wheel is stuck on the fence post," sighed Midge.
"What are you going to do with the wagon?" asked Booker-T.

"I want to ride the wagon down the hill," said Midge.
"Why?" asked Booker-T. "Don't you remember what happened when you rode the sled down the hill in the snow?"
"That was fun," said Midge. "I liked sliding down the hill on the sled."
"But you went head first into the snow bank," said Booker-T. "Jake and I only saw your feet wiggling in the air. We had to pull you out of the snow."
"There isn't any snow today," said Midge.
"But you can fly off the wagon and hit your head on the ground," said Booker-T.
"What are you two doing?" asked Jake as he walked close to Midge and Booker-T.
"Midge got her wagon stuck on the fence post," said Booker-T. "Can you pull it off?"
"What are you going to do with the wagon?" asked Jake.
"I want to ride it down the hill," smiled Midge. "It will be fun. We can all ride it."
"How will you stop it when it goes down the hill?" asked Jake.
"I'll stick my foot out," said Midge.
"Oooh," said Booker-T. "That will hurt the foot sliding it along the ground to stop."
"I'll be careful," said Midge.
"You don't have any fluffy snow to land in today," said Jake. "That ground is hard. What happens if you land on your head?"
"I don't ave a snow bank to run into so I won't fly out of the wagon," said Midge. "When I hit the snow bank, the sled stopped and I kept going."
"That was funny," laughed Booker-T. "But it was scary seeing your feet in the air and your head buried."
"Please Jake," said Midge. "I want to ride the wagon down the hill. Come on Jake."
"All right," sighed Jake. "Lets go."
The three walked to the hill behind the school and Midge pulled the wagon behind her. when they reached the hill, they started to climb to the top. At the top of the hill, Midge climbed into the wagon and grabbed the handle in her teeth.
"Push me Jake," said Midge. "I'm ready to go."
Jake pushed the wagon and it started down the hill with Midge sitting inside it. the wagon picked up speed as it raced down the hill. Midge was laughing as she rode the wagon down the hill.
"Turn the handle!" screamed Jake. "Midge! Turn the handle. You are heading for that tree."
Midge tried to turn the handle as the wage went faster and faster down the hill. she looked up and in front of her was a big tree.
"Jump Midge!" screamed Jake.
Just before the wagon slammed into the tree, Midge jumped out of the wagon and landed on the ground behind it. Jake and Booker-T ran down the hill where Midge was sitting. The empty wagon hit the tree and bounced backward and flipped over sideways.
"Are you okay?" asked Jake.
"I'm good Jake," said Midge.
"That was too close Midge," said Booker-T.
"That was fun going down the hill," said Midge. "Don't you want to ride it?"
"You scared us," said Booker-T.
"I know," said Midge. "But I am okay. It's your turn Jake."
"Look at the wagon," said Booker-T. "The wheels are bent in the front. I don't think anyone will ride it down the hill now."
"Do you think we can pull it home?" asked Midge. "I need to put it back in the yard."
"I'll pull it for you," said Jake.
"Okay," said Midge.
Jake picked up the handle and they started walking home with the wagon.. Thump, thump went the bent wagon wheels as they walked home to Midge's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T