Friday, November 5, 2021

In a Rut

 

Midge crawled through the doggie door into the back yard and ran around the house to the front yard. As she started walking across the front yard to the fence gate, she saw Booker-T walking through the gate.

"Hey there Booker-T," greeted Midge. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing," said Booker-T. "I am coming to your house."

"I see you," laughed Midge.

"Where are you going?" asked Booker-T.

"I was coming to your house," replied Midge.

"I'm not there," smiled Booker-T. "So now you don't need to go to my house."

"Lets go to Jake's house," suggested Midge.

"Okay," agreed Booker-T. "Lets go."

Booker-T turned around and walked back out of the gate with Midge following behind him. They started walking along the sidewalk and when they got to the corner, they saw Jake walking along the sidewalk coming toward them.

"Hey there guys," smiled Jake. "What are you two doing this morning?"

"We are walking to your house," said Booker-T.

"Do you want me to hurry home so you can see me when you get there?" asked Jake.

"Are you being funny?" asked Midge.

"Maybe," laughed Jake. "We are closer to your house. Lets go to your house."

"Okay," agreed Midge as the three turned around and started back to Midge's house.

They walked to the front porch and sat down.

"What do you want to do today?" asked Jake.

"I don't know," sighed Midge.

"I don't know either," said Booker-T.

"We are in a rut," smiled Jake.

"No," said Booker-T. "We are sitting on Midge's porch."

"What is a rut?" asked Midge. "I thought we were sitting on my porch."

"Stuck in a rut," said Jake. "Is what my owner always says when she does the same thing all the time. I think we are stuck in a rut. We need something different to do."

"I know," said Midge. "I wish I was a human. They have lots of things to do."

"My owner's nephew is always in a rut," said Jake. "He is a little human."

"Why is he in a rut?" asked Booker-T.

"My owner told him he was in rut because he didn't want to do something different," said Jake.

"Did he get out of the rut?" asked Midge.

"Yes," smiled Jake. "My owner told him she was going to get him out of the rut and take him to the ice cream cafe for some ice cream."

"I like that," said Midge. "Can we go get some ice cream?"

"Where are we going to get some ice cream?" asked Booker-T. "I don't think there is a little cafe we can go in and get ice cream."

"I think we have to stay in our rut," said Midge.

"I like our rut," said Booker-T. "We have fun, don't you think?"

"Yes," said Midge. "But...."

"But, you aren't a human," laughed Jake.

"Yes," said Midge. "I am not a human."

"We can have fun too," said Jake.

"What do you want to do today?" asked Booker-T. "Any ideas?"

"No," said Midge. "Still thinking."

"Jake," laughed Booker-T. "Midge is in a rut. She has no ideas. What happened? She always has an idea."

"Are you in a rut Midge?" laughed Jake.

"I think I am," smiled Midge. "Can you dig me out?"

"Hi guys," greeted Gabby as he flew down and landed on the table on the porch. "What are you guys doing?"

"We are stuck in a rut," said Booker-T.

"Why?" asked Gabby. "You don't look like you are in a rut. You are sitting on Midge's porch."

"We don't know what to do today," sighed Jake. "We don't have as much to do as humans do."

"But you can still have fun," said Gabby.

"Do you have an idea, Gabby?" asked Midge.

"You can go talk to the animals at the zoo or the petting zoo behind the building," suggested Gabby. "Or maybe you can go to the park and swim in the pond."

"It's too cold outside now to swim in the pond," said Midge shaking her head."

"You can go the dog park and run around with some other dogs," said Gabby.

"She wants to do what the humans do," Booker-T.

"Again," said Gabby. "Midge, you are a dog and can't do what the humans do."

"But they do some things that we do," sighed Midge.

"I know," said Jake. "But there are some things that we do and they don't do."

"What?" asked Midge.

"They don't run around on four legs," laughed Booker-T.

"Oh funny," said Midge. "They don't run around on four legs because they only have two legs."

"I was trying to make you feel better," said Booker-T.

"I know," smiled Midge. "Lets go to the zoo and see if there are some new animals."

"You can go to the school grounds," suggested Gabby.

"What is going on there?" asked Jake.

"They are going to have an after Halloween party with the kids," said Gabby.

"What is an after Halloween party?" asked Midge.

"The little humans are going to have food and fun wearing their funny costumes from Halloween," said Gabby. "The teachers are going to vote for the most funny costume and the best costume."

"Do you want to do that?" asked Midge.

"It might be fun," said Booker-T. "Lets go watch them."

"Okay," agreed Jake. "Lets go"

The three hurried through the gate and walked along the sidewalk on their way to the school grounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T