Friday, November 26, 2021

The Fairy Dust

 

"I can fly, I can fly," sang Midge as she danced around the front yard. "I can fly."

"What are you doing?" asked Jake as he and Booker-T came into the yard through the front gate.

"I am singing," smiled Midge. "Don't you like my little song?"

"Why are you singing that you can fly?" asked Booker-T. "You can't fly. Remember what happened when you tried? "

"I remember," said Midge. "All I need is to think of good things and use a little Fairy dust."

"What?" asked Jake. "What kind of dust?"

"There is a lot of dust in my basement," said Booker-T.

"Not the right kind of dust," said Midge., "It has to be fairy dust."

"Where are you going to get fairy dust?" asked Jake. "I don't think we have any little fairies in town here."

"The little humans say we do," sighed Midge.

"What little fairies are in town somewhere?" asked Booker-T. "I have never seen one."

"Isn't the tooth fairy a fairy?" asked Midge. "Maybe I can get some dust from her."

"There is a tooth fairy?" asked Booker-T. "Did you see it?"

"No," said Midge. "My owner told her little niece that there was one."

"Maybe only humans see them," suggested Jake. "They see ghosts too."

"Do humans have magic eyes?" asked Midge.

"I don't know," said Jake. "Maybe those glasses they wear help them see the fairies and the ghosts."

"My owner don't wear glasses," said Booker-T.

"My owner does wear some glasses sometimes," said Midge. "She has them on when she is reading a book."

"The mailman who comes to the house, wears glasses too," said Jake. "I saw him one day when I was sitting on the porch."

"Try looking through her glasses and see if you can see them," said Booker-T.

"Lets go inside the house and I can try," said Midge as she jumped down off the porch and ran around to the back door.

Jake and Booker-T ran behind her as she started to crawl through the doggie door. They hurried to the living room. Booker-T ran and leaped into the chair beside of Snappy's tank.

"Hi Snappy," smiled Booker-T.

"Hi Booker-T," said Snappy as he pushed his little nose against the glass inside. "What are you doing?"

"We came in so Midge can try to look through some glasses," said Jake.

"Hi Jake," said Snappy. "Why is she going to look through some glasses? Don't the humans drink water from the glasses?"

"These glasses are different," said Jake. "The humans wear them in front of their eyes."

"I remember seeing our owner with funny little things on her face when she is reading," said Snappy.

"Those are glasses," said Midge.

"Why does she put those funny things on her face?" asked Snappy.

"She only wears them when she is reading," said Midge. "Maybe it helps her read. Do you think glasses will help me read like you do, Jake?"

"I don't know," said Jake. "I think you have to learn how to read the words so you can read."

"Like you do?" asked Booker-T. "How did you learn to read the words, Jake?"

"I don't know," said Jake. "I just know how."

"You are so smart, Jake," said Booker-T. "Midge and I can't read."

Midge stuck her nose under the glasses and stood up. "Hey, look at me," smiled Midge and she walked around the room with the glasses on her nose."

"Can you see through them?" asked Jake.

"Things look really blurry," said Midge. "Are they suppose to look blurry?"

"I don't know," said Jake. "I never wore glasses."

"You look blurry Booker-T," said Midge. "All your stripes are gone."

"No," said Booker-T. "My stripes are still on me."

"They are all blurry into one color," said Midge. "I don't think I like wearing glasses."

"Can you see the fairies?" asked Booker-T.

Midge looked around the blurry room. "No," sighed Midge. "Maybe they are in the other room."

"Lets go to the other room," suggested Booker-T. "Can you see me?"

"I can see you," laughed Midge. "You are just blurry looking."

"Ha ha ha," laughed Booker-T. "Follow me."

They walked into the bedroom and Midge looked around the room.

"Do you see any?" asked Jake.

"No," said Midge shaking her head. "I don't think the glasses are working."

"Maybe you have to do something to them so you can see the fairies," suggested Jake.

"I don't know," said Midge. "I never wore glasses before."

"Lets go look in the kitchen," suggested Booker-T as he started to walk to the kitchen door.

Midge and Jake followed him through the door into the kitchen.

"Look around the room," said Jake. "What do you see?"

"I see a lot of blurry stuff," said Midge. "But no fairies with dust."

"Look Midge," said Booker-T. "I see some dust on the floor over there near your water bowl. Do you think that might be some fairy dust?"

Midge walked over to her bowl and looked down to see the dust. "Oh no!" shouted Midge..

"Is it fairy dust?" asked Jake.

"I don't know," said Midge. "The glasses fell into my water bowl. My owner is not going to be happy with me."

"Are they okay?" asked Jake.

"I think so," said Midge. "I will carry them back to the living room table where they were."

Midge carefully picked up the glasses and carried them to the table in the living room.

"Did you see the dust near your bowl?" asked Booker-T.

"I saw it," said Midge, "But I think it was just dirty dust that my owner cleans up with the broom when she cleans house."

"No fairy dust?' asked Jake.

"No," sighed Midge. "I can't fly with no fairy dust."

"Where did you hear about fairy dust to fly?" asked Booker-T.

"It was in a movie that my owner's niece was watching when she was here last night," said Midge.

"It talked about Fairy dust?" asked Jake.

"Yes," said Midge. "There were three little humans in it and this other human shook the fairy dust on them and told them to think about something happy and they could fly. I tried to think of happy things but it didn't work. I need the fairy dust."

"Maybe the movie was make believe," suggested Jake. "It isn't real."

"Maybe you are right," sighed Midge. "I really wanted to fly like Gabby does."

"I know," said Jake. "But dogs don't fly."

"Maybe cats can fly," suggested Booker-T.

"No, Booker-T," said Jake. "We walk on four feet on the ground. Gabby walks on the ground with two feet and flies with two wings we don't have."

"I still wish I could fly," smiled Midge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T