Friday, August 5, 2022

The Runaway Tractor

 

Midge and Booker-T walked to Jake's house where they found him sitting with Lucy.

Hi Jake, Lucy,” smiled Midge. “What are you doing?”

Just sitting here waiting for you to come,” said Lucy.

We made it!” laughed Booker-T. “What are we going to do today?”

I don't know,” said Jake. “Lucy wants us to come to the farm and swim in the pond.”

I like that idea,” said Booker-T. “How about you Midge? Do you want to go swim in the pond with Lucy?”

Sure,” said Midge. “Lets go. We can visit the cows up at the barn too”

The three hurried out the gate and started strolling along the sidewalk on their way to the farm where Lucy lives. They entered the gate into the field and started to run past the house when Midge spotted an old tractor parked under a tree.

Hey Jake,” said Midge. “Look over there. It's a tractor. I like red.”

My owner brought that home yesterday,” said Lucy. “Do you want to go look at it?”

Lets go,” said Booker-T. “What does your owner do with the tractor?”

I don't know,” said Lucy. “He just parked it under that tree.”

They walked to the tree and walked around the tractor.

I think it needs a paint job,” said Jake. “Looks like it sat in the sun too long.”

I hope your owner paints it red,” said Midge. “I like red.”

I like black and orange,” said Booker-T.

hmmm, I think a black and orange tractor would look funny.” laughed Lucy. “You like black and orange because that's your colors.”

I want to sit on the tractor,” said Midge as she leaped up and crawled onto the old tractor. Suddenly the tractor started to roll forward.

Jake!” called Midge. “What happened? Why am I moving?”

What did you do?” asked Jake.

Nothing,” said Midge as the tractor continued to roll forward.

Oh!” said Booker-T. “Can you jump off?”

I don't want to jump off,” said Midge. “This is fun. Look I'm driving a tractor.”

Where are you going?” asked Lucy as the three others quickly walked beside the tractor as it moved forward.

I don't know,” said Midge. “I don't know where the tractor is taking me.”

Why is it taking you anywhere?” asked Jake. “It can't start itself.”

I didn't start it,” said Midge. “No one else is on the tractor with me.”

It's a magic tractor, Midge,” said Booker-T.

Suddenly the front wheels started to turn some and the tractor picked up some speed and headed down the hill.

Jake!” called Midge. “I'm going faster now. Where am I going?”

You better jump off, Midge,” said Lucy. “You are headed to the pond.”

Oh no,” said Midge. “I can't jump. It's going too fast now.”

The tractor kept rolling toward the pond and Midge sat in the seat watching the other

three run near the tractor.

Don't let the tractor run over you,” called Midge. “I think I'm going into the pond with the tractor.”

Closer and closer the tractor neared the pond. Midge closed her eyes and waited for the splash. Suddenly the tractor hit a rock and Midge went flying over the front of the tractor and landed in the pond and the tractor stopped rolling.

Are you alright Midge!” called Jake as they ran to the edge of the pond.

I'm okay,” said Midge. “That was fun!”

Jake, Booker-T, and Lucy just sat down and laughed at her in the middle of the pond.

She's funny,” said Lucy.

Midge swam to the edge of the pond and climbed out and shook off the water.

How did you make the tractor go?” asked Booker-T.

I don't know how it started,” said Midge.

I think my owner is not going to be happy,” sighed Lucy. “Do you think he will know that Midge drove the tractor?”

Where is your owner?” asked Jake.

He went to town for food,” said Lucy.

He won't know that Midge was on the tractor,” said Jake. “Maybe he will think it just rolled down the hill. It is an old tractor.”

A magic tractor,” laughed Booker-T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T