Friday, October 23, 2020

Polly the Opposum

 

Midge poked her head out the doggie door and was face to face with some animal staring at her.

"Hello," said Midge. "Who are you?

"I'm Polly," said the little animal.

"You are a funny looking dog," smiled Midge. "What kind of dog are you?"

"I'm not a dog," said Polly.

"You don't look like a cat either," said Midge.

"I'm not a cat," said Polly. "They call me a opossum."

"A opossum," said Midge. "What is an opossum?"

"I'm a little animal," said Polly.

"I have never seen an opossum before," said Midge. "Where do you live?"

"I live all over the place," said Polly. "Wherever I can find to sleep."

"You don't have a home?' asked Midge.

"No," said Polly. "I sleep in different places."

"Maybe you can live at the zoo," suggested Midge.

"What is a zoo?" asked Polly.

"They have wild animals in the zoos," said Midge.

"Wild animals?" asked Polly. "I don't know any wild animals."

"They have big animals and little animals," said Midge. "They take care of animals that humans don't have as pets. Are you a pet?"

"I don't think so," said Polly. "What is a pet?"

"I am a pet," said Midge. "I have a human owner that takes care of me. She gives me my food and water."

"Can I be a pet?" asked Polly.

"I don't know," said Midge. "I don't know if humans have opossums as pets. Maybe my friend Gabby knows."

"Who is Gabby?" asked Polly.

"Gabby is a bird," said Midge. "He flys all over the city and hears all kinds of things."

"You have a bird for a friend?" asked Polly.

"I have a cat that is a friend too," said Midge. "And a turtle."

"Do you want an opossum as a friend too?" asked Polly.

"Sure," said Midge. "We can be friends."

"I would like that," said Polly. "I don't have any friends."

"Would you like to live on a farm?" asked Midge. "Maybe my friends and I can take you to the farm to stay."

"Is a farm nice to live at?" asked Polly.

"You would like it there," said Midge. "They have horses, cows and a big bull."

From the front of the house, Midge could hear Jake and Booker-T talking.

"Hey Midge!" called Jake. "Where are you?"

"Wait here," said Midge as she started to run to the front of the house. "Hi guys. what are you doing?"

"We came to find you," said Jake. "What are you doing?"

"I'm talking to a new friend," said Midge. "Her name is Polly."

"Where did you meet Polly?" asked Booker-T.

"She was standing in my back yard when I came out the doggie door," said Midge. "Come on and meet her."

Jake and Booker-T followed Midge around to the back of the house. Sitting on the back porch was Polly.

"Hi," said Jake as they walked to the porch. "What are you?"

"I'm Polly," said the little opossum.

"What kind of animal are you?" asked Booker-T.

"I'm an opossum," said Polly.

"What is an opossum?" asked Booker-T.

"I am an opossum," said Polly. "I look different than you do."

"Is Polly a wild animal?" asked Booker-T.

"I think so," said Jake.

"She's not wild," said Midge. "But she don't have a home like we do. Can we take her to the farm?"

"Do you want to go live in the country?' asked Jake.

"Can I live there all the time?" asked Polly. "And will their be food for me to eat out there?"

"What do you like to eat?" asked Midge.

"I like bugs and garbage," said Polly. "I will eat dog food or cat food too."

"They have lots of bugs in the country," said Booker-T. "And they have lot of garbage they put in the field."

"That sounds like a good place to live," said Polly. "Can we go to the farm?"

"Okay," said Jake. "Lets go. Midge, Booker-T and I will take you out there."

The three friends walked into the front yard with Polly following behind. They went out the gate and started walking along the sidewalk. From above, Gabby flew down and landed on Jake's head.

"Where are you going?" asked Gabby. "And who is your new friend?"

"Hey Gabby," said Midge. "This is Polly. We are taking her out to the farm to live."

"Why?" asked Gabby.

"She don't have a home," said Jake. "So we are taking her to the farm where she has a big place to live and run around in."

"Why don't she live at the zoo?" asked Gabby. "I think she is a wild animal."

"She will like it in the country," said Midge. "She will have a big place to run around in and lot of food to eat."

"Won't she be lonely at the farm?" asked Gabby.

"We will let her meet the cows," said Midge. "I think the cows will like her. Later she can meet the other animals out there. Maybe there is another opossum out there she can meet."

"Is there another one like me in the country?" asked Polly.

"Maybe," said Jake. "Lets go

They started walking to the farm and in a few minutes they got to the farm and walked to the barn where the cows were standing around.

"Hi guys," greeted Midge.

"Hi Midge," smiled one of the cows. "Long time since you come. What are you doing?"

"This is Polly," said Midge. "She wants to come live on your farm. I found her all alone in my back yard."

"Hi Polly," said the cow. "Do you want to live in the country?"

"Yes," said Polly.

"Over there behind the barn is Sammy," said the cow. "He looks like you."

"Oh wow," said Jake. "Another opossum. Polly will be happy to have a friend that looks like her."

"I will like it here," said Polly. "Thanks Midge."

"Have fun and we will come back to see you another day," said Jake. "We are going to the zoo now."

"Okay," said Polly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T