Friday, October 16, 2020

The Spy

 

Midge was walking around the front yard, with her owner's magnifying glass in her mouth. Looking in the bushes, along the fence and around the porch. Booker-T and Jake walked in and stood watching her for a few minutes. Booker-T tilted his head from one side to the other and then looked at Jake with a puzzled look on his face.

"What is Midge doing?" asked Booker-T.

"I don't know," said Jake. "She looks like she lost something."

They walked to the porch and Midge saw Jake's foot in the magnifying glass and jumped back.

"Hey," said Midge. "You scared me. Wow you have a big foot."

"What are you doing?" asked Booker-T.

"Did you lose something?" asked Jake.

"No," said Midge. "I'm a super spy."

"A what?" asked Booker-T.

"I'm Midge, Super Spy," smiled Midge.

"What are you spying on?" asked Jake.

"Why are you a spy?" asked Booker-T.

"I'm a super secret spy," said Midge. "It's a secret."

"Oh," said Booker-T.

"You can't tell us what you are spying on?" asked Jake.

"We won't tell anyone Booker-T. "We are your good friends, remember."

"I know," said Midge. "But spies are suppose to not talk to anyone."

"Who said you can't tell?" asked Jake. "We tell you everything we do."

"When did you start spying?" asked Booker-T.

"I started spying this morning," said Midge.

"Can Jake and I be a spy with you?" asked Booker-T.

"You want to be spies too?" asked Midge.

"We can help you if you tell us what you are spying on," said Jake.

"You promise not to tell anyone," said Midge,

"We promise," said Booker-T. "We are going to be spies, we are going to be spies."

"Shhh," said Midge. "It's a secret."

"Ok," whispered Booker-T. "We won't tell anyone."

"Being a spy has to be secret," said Midge.

"But no one is here but the three of us," said Jake. "Who will hear us?"

"The ants," said Midge.

"Ants? What ants?" asked Booker-T.

"Why would the ants care if we are spies?" asked Jake.

"The ants are who I am spying on," said Midge.

"Why?" asked Booker-T.

"They are everywhere," said Midge. "They are under the bushes, they are along the fence and they are around the porch. What are they doing?"

"Did an ant bite you?" asked Jake.

"No," said Midge. "Did you see all those hills they make?"

"No," said Jake. "I never looked for them."

"Why are they building those hills?' asked Midge. "I am spying on them to see what they are going to do."

"What are they doing when you are watching them?" asked Jake.

"They keep going down a hole and then they come out with little pieces of dirt to make their hill," said Midge. "Do you think they know I'm watching them?"

"I don't know," said Booker-T.

"You are a giant to them," said Jake. "They might be scared of you."

"I won't hurt them," said Midge. "I'm just spying on them to see what they are doing."

"Did you talk to them?" asked Booker-T. "Snappy used to take to the ants and they talked to him."

"I haven't tried to talk to them yet," said Midge. "Maybe I will ask them what they are doing."

"Hey!" said a tiny voice from below them. "Hey! You almost stepped on me."

Booker-T put his head down low and looked around his feet. "Hello," said Booker-T. "Where are you? Who are you?"

"I'm down here next to your foot," said the tiny voice.

Booker-T looked closer and saw the little black ant standing next to his foot. "I didn't see you."

"My friends and I are too little for you to see us," said the ant. "You giants don't watch where you are walking."

Midge and Jake poked their noses low to the ground to see the ant and his friends. "We can't see you when we walk around the yard. Maybe you need to put up a flag so we can see where you are," suggested Midge.

"We don't have any flags," said the ant.

"Why are you making those hills?" asked Midge. "I saw some hills near the fence, one big on under the bushes and two more hills near the porch."

"We are digging our home out and putting the dirt in piles around our home entrance," said the ant.

"You live in a hole?"asked Booker-T.

"Wow," said Midge. "What happens when it rains?"

"We get wet," laughed the little ant.

"Now you don't have to spy on them," said Booker-T. "They told you what they are doing."

"You were spying on us?" asked the ant. "Why?"

"I wanted to know what you were doing," said Midge. "I was playing Midge, the super spy."

"You like being a spy?" asked the ant.

"Sure," said Midge.

"I make a better spy," laughed the ant.

"Why are you a better spy?" asked Jake. "Midge is pretty good."

"I am smaller and can hide better," said the ant.

"I guess that's true," sighed Midge. "Do you have a name?"

"They call me, Andy," said the ant. "Who are you guys?"

"I am Midge and the cat is Booker-T," said Midge. "The really big dog is Jake. We are all friends."

"I have hundreds of friends," said Andy. "We all work together to make our home."

"What do you eat?" asked Midge.

"We eat some dead bugs and food that humans drop," said Andy. "We store the pieces of food in our home in the ground."

"Wow," said Midge. "I guess you are working all the time. Do you have fun sometimes?"

"No," said Andy. "We work all the time. We are busy ants. Do you work?"

"No," said Midge. "We just have fun."

"I have to go help my friends work now," said Andy. "Be careful where you walk. Remember we are down here working."

"Okay Andy," said Midge.

"No more Midge the super spy," laughed Booker-T.

"I will find something else to spy on," said Midge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T