Friday, November 6, 2020

The Intruder

 

Midge came out of the bedroom and ran across the living room to where Snappy's tank sat on the table near the window. She leaped into the chair that sat beside the table.

"Hi Midge," said Snappy as he climbed his little branch that was in his tank and pressed his nose on the glass. "What are you wearing?"

"Hi Snappy," smiled Midge. "Do you like my new sweater and my pink bow on my head?"

"I like the pink color," said Snappy. "Is it cold outside?"

"Yes," sighed Midge. "I don't like the cold weather, Snappy. I think summer is better."

"Soon the snow will come," said Snappy. "I'm happy I have a nice warm tank for my home now."

"Sometimes the snow is fun to play in," said Midge. "I just don't like being cold."

"It would be nice if we could have the snow and warm weather too," said Snappy.

"But the warm weather would melt the snow," laughed Midge. "I like all the snowmen that the kids make in the snow. Some are really funny. I don't have any hands to make a snowman."

"You rolled some balls of snow last year," said Snappy.

"Jake and Booker-T helped roll the balls but we couldn't put them on top of each other," said Midge. "My nose sure got cold pushing those snowballs across the yard."

"Are you going to Jake's house today?' asked Snappy.

"Yes," said Midge. "I'm waiting for Booker-T. I think he had to go to the vet's for his yearly shots."

"Hey there Midge and Snappy," greeted Booker-T as he ran into the living room.

"Hi Booker-T," said Midge. "I thought you were going to get your shots today?"

"I did," said Booker-T. "We just got home and my owner went to work now. I like your pretty pink sweater."

"It is cold outside now," said Midge. "I don't like cold weather so my owner put the sweater on me this morning."

"It is cold outside," said Booker-T. "I was shivering when I went to the vet. My owner put on the car heater."

"You are lucky Booker-T," said Midge.

"Why?" asked Booker-T. "You are lucky too."

"You have a cat box in your house to do your business," said Midge. "You don't have to go outside in the cold to take care of business. Jake and I have to go outside in the cold and rain and snow to take care of our business."

"Oh," said Booker-T. "Why don't they have dog boxes like cat boxes?"

"I don't know," said Midge. "If I was a human, I would make doggie boxes."

'Why don't the humans make doggie boxes?" asked Booker-T.

"I don't know," said Midge. We are lucky to have doggie doors. I think they help the humans,"

"Humans don't use them," laughed Booker-T.

"I know," smiled Midge. "But with the doggie doors, they don't have to get up and open the door for us to go out into the back yard. We just take ourselves out."

"I have a doggie door too," said Booker-T.

"Oh!" said Midge turning quickly to face the kitchen door. "Who are you?"

"I'm Lucy," said the little animal now standing in the living room. "Who are you and where am I?"

"I am Midge and this is Booker-T," said Midge. "You are in my house."

"I like your house," said Lucy. "It is warm in here."

"How did you get in here?" asked Booker-T.

"I pushed open a door," said Lucy. "I didn't see anyone."

"That is my doggie door," said Midge. "It is for me to go outside when I need to go out."

"I like it in your house," said Lucy. "Can I stay with you?"

"I'm a dog and Booker-T is a cat," said Midge. "What kind of animal are you? I never saw you before."

"I'm a racoon," said Lucy.

"Are you a wild animal?" asked Booker-T.

"I don't think so," said Lucy. "I'm not wild."

"But don't think you are a pet," said Midge.

"What is a pet?" asked Lucy.

"The humans get dogs and cats to live with them and call them pets," said Midge. "Booker-T and I are pets. Do you have a human owner?"

"No," said Lucy. "I don't live with humans."

"I think you are wild," said Booker-T.

"Can I be a pet?" asked Lucy.

"I don't know," said Midge.

"I never saw a racoon before," said Booker-T. "I like your mask around your eyes."

"Do you have any friends?" asked Midge.

"I am lost," sighed Lucy. "I had some friends, but I can't find them."

"How did you get to my house?" asked Midge.

"I walked a long way," said Lucy. "Do you know where I live?"

"No," said Midge shaking her head. "Do you know what is near you home?"

"I think there was a lot of big animals and a big red building," said Lucy.

"Maybe you lived near the farm," said Midge. "They have a big red building."

"Can you help me get home?" asked Lucy.

"Lets go to Jake's house and we will take you home," said Booker-T.

"Okay," smiled Lucy.

The three hurried out the doggie door and started walking to Jake's house. Gabby flew down and landed in front of them.

"Hey Midge," said Gabby. "Who is your new friend?'

"Hi Gabby," said Midge. "This is Lucy."

"She is a racoon," said Gabby. "Where did she come from?"

"She is lost," said Booker-T.

"We are going to Jake's house and then we will take her out to the big farm," said Midge.

"I saw some racoons near the farm," said Gabby. "How did she get here?"

"I was walking around and I got lost," said Lucy. "Midge said I was wild."

"I think they call racoons wild," said Gabby. "Jake and Midge will get you back home."

"Will you be my friends?" asked Lucy.

"Yes," said Midge. "We will be your friends. When we go to the farm, we can see you too."

"I like that," smiled Lucy.

They walked to Jake's house and the three of them walked Lucy back home near the farm.

"There are my friends," said Lucy. "Thank you for helping me back home."

"Welcome Lucy," said Midge. "Bye. We will come to see you soon."

"Bye," said Lucy as she turned and ran toward her friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T