Friday, February 26, 2021

The Beautiful Eagle

 

Midge, Jake and Booker-T walked along the sidewalk to the petting zoo and the big zoo transfer building. They got to the corner and looked both ways before crossing the street. They hurried around the building to the back where the petting zoo was, but nothing was there.

"Where did the petting zoo go?" asked Midge.

"I don't know," said Booker-T.

"Wow," said Jake. "Gone. Where did all the animals go?"

"Everything is gone," sighed Midge. "I wanted to see Pinky."

"Do you think Gabby knows where they went?" asked Booker-T. "He always knows everything going on in town."

"Maybe," said Jake. "I don't know."

"Lets go inside and see what animals are inside," said Midge.

"Okay," said Jake as they started to walk around to the front of the building.

They stood in front at the open door and looked around the room. They saw an anteater in the corner and a couple chimpanzees in one of the cages. In the other corner they saw a beautiful eagle. The two front cages were empty right now.

"I like the big eagle," said Booker-T.

"Lets go see the eagle," said Midge as she started walking that way. "Wow. It's so pretty, don't you think so Jake?"

"What does the sign say on the cage?" asked Booker-T.

"It says it is a bald eagle," said Jake.

"He don't look bald," said Midge. "I see little feathers on his head."

"Why is he called a bald eagle if he has feathers on his head?" asked Booker-T. "Gabby has feathers on his head and they don't say he is bald."

"Does it say why he is bald?" asked Midge.

"Hi you guys," said Gabby as he swooped into the building and landed on the floor next to Midge.

"Hey there Gabby," said Midge. "What are you doing here?"

"I was flying around and you weren't home," said Gabby. "So I was looking for you."

"Do you know why the sign says that the eagle is bald?" asked Booker-T. "I see feathers on his head."

"I think they say he is bald because he has a white head and looks bald," said Gabby. "I don't really know for sure."

"Why not call him a White headed eagle?" asked Jake.

"I don't know," laughed Gabby. "Humans are funny. They do strange things."

"Hi Mr. Eagle," said Midge as she stood near the cage.

"Hello," said the Eagle.

"What is your name?" asked Booker-T.

"I'm Henry," said the eagle.

"Well, hello Henry," said Jake. "I've never seen an eagle before."

"I never saw you before either," said Henry. "What are you?"

"I'm Jake," said Jake. "And I'm a boxer."

"You fight?" asked Henry.

"No," said Jake. "I'm a boxer dog. This is Midge and she is a dog and the other one is Booker-T and he is a cat."

"Oh no," said Henry as he hurried to the top of the fake tree in the cage.

"What happened?" asked Midge.

"I'm afraid of cats," said Henry.

"Why?" asked Booker-T.

"They eat birds," said Henry. "I'm big, but I am a bird."

"I don't eat birds," said Booker-T. "I have a friend who is a bird."

"Meet Gabby," said Midge. "He is a bird and he is our friend."

"Hi Henry," said Gabby.

"Are you afraid of the cat?" asked Henry.

"No," said Gabby. "He is my friend. We all are friends."

"Wow," said Henry. "A cat and bird who are friends. That is nice."

"Will you be our friend?" asked Midge. "You are really nice."

"But you are out there and I'm in here," said Henry.

"We can be friends," said Booker-T.

"Why are you out there and I'm in here?" asked Henry. "I miss flying with my friends in the country."

"How did you get in there?" asked Midge.

"I hurt my wing and some big human helped save me and he brought me here," said Henry.

"Maybe when your wing is better," said Jake. "He will let you go back to the country,"

"I hope so," said Henry. "I miss being in the country and flying up high."

"I think they are taking him to the zoo," Jake whispered in Midge's ear.

"What did he say?" asked Henry.

"Nothing much," said Midge. "He thinks they are taking you to the zoo."

"What is the zoo?" asked Henry.

"It's a big place with lot of different Animals." said Midge.

"Can you open the door so I can go to the country?" asked Henry.

"The cage door is locked ," said Jake. "We don't have the key to open it."

"Can I fly around at the zoo?" asked Henry.

"I don't think so," said Booker-T. "I think you will be a bigger cage."

"Please," said Henry. "I don't want to go there."

"We don't have the key to the door," said Jake.

"Maybe the man will take you back to the country," said Midge.

"I hope so," said Henry. "If he takes me to the country, I will come back to visit you."

"I would like that," said Midge.

"Me Too," said Jake.

"And me too," said Booker-T "And I won't eat you."

"Thanks," said Henry.

"Time for us to go home now," said Jake. "I hope we will see you soon."

"Me too," smiled Henry. "Nice to meet you."

"Bye," said Midge.

Henry sat on the top branch and watched them leave the building. He was sad to see them go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T