Friday, March 5, 2021

The Horse Track

 

"Good morning Snappy," said Midge as she leaped into the chair beside his tank and pressed her nose against the glass.

"Hi Midge," smiled Snappy. "Don't you like the nice sunshine?"

"I do," said Midge glancing out the window. "It is warming up outside now. No more cold weather anymore."

"I think Spring is on it's way now," said Snappy. "Swimming at the pond will be fun now."

"Do you want to go with us?" asked Midge. "Jake can pull you in the wagon if you want to come along."

"No," said Snappy shaking his head. "I like it here. It is safer for me to be here. I'm so tiny that kids might step on me."

"I think you are right," agreed Midge.

"Are you going to the pond today to swim?" asked Snappy..

"Yes," smiled Midge. "Booker-T and I are going to go to Jake's house first."

"Okay," said Snappy. "I hope you have fun."

"I will see you later," said Midge as she leaped down from the chair and ran to the kitchen.

Midge hurried out the doggie door and around to the front of the house on her way to Booker-T's house.

"Hey Midge," called Gabby as he flew done and landed on the fence along the sidewalk. " What are you doing?"

"Hi there Gabby," greeted Midge. "I'm going to Jake's house with Booker-T. What are you doing this morning?"

"I was flying around checking out the city to see what is happening," said Snappy.

"What's happening?" asked Midge.

"Did you know that they are making a race track near the farm?" asked Gabby.

"What kind of race track?" asked Midge.

"I think it is a horse race track," said Gabby.

"Why?" asked Midge.

"So, horses can race," laughed Gabby.

"Do you think I can ride one?' asked Midge.

"You can't ride a race horse," laughed Gabby.

"Sure I can," said Midge. "I can climb on top and hold on tight."

"Hold on to what?"asked Gabby.

"The saddle," insisted Midge. "I'm not too heavy to ride one."

"You are too small," said Gabby.

"Little people can ride," said Midge.

"But you aren't a people," said Gabby.

"I can do what little people do," said Midge.

"I don't think so," said Gabby. "You try, but it don't work too good.. You even tried to be like me, remember?"

"I remember," laughed Midge as she rolled her eyes. "My legs didn't work right for me to fly, but I can ride a horse."

"No you can't," insisted Gabby.

"I was on a horse one time," said Midge as she sat on the sidewalk talking to Gabby.

"You fell off the horse too," laughed Booker-T as he walked up and heard Midge talking to Gabby.

"Hi Booker-T," said Midge and Gabby.

"What are you two talking about?" asked Booker-T. "Are you going to Jake's house with us, Gabby?"

"Maybe," replied Gabby. "Midge wants to ride a horse."

"Why?" asked Booker-T.

"Gabby said they are making a horse racing track near the farm," said Midge. "I want to ride one of the horses."

"Why?" asked Booker-T. "You will just fall off."

"No I won't," sighed Midge. "I really want to ride a horse."

"You tried and fell off," said Booker-T. "Come on, lets go to Jake's house. He will tell you."

Gabby flew up above them as Midge and Booker-T started walking to Jake's house.

"Hey, look over there," said Midge. "See that truck?"

"Yes," said Booker-T. "There are horses in the back of the trailer."

"Do you think they are going to the race track?"asked Midge.

"Maybe," suggested Gabby. "The buildings are already built."

"I want to go see the horses," said Midge as she started to walk faster. "Hurry, lets go get Jake."

They hurried along the sidewalk and ran through the gate at Jake's house. Jake was sitting on the swing.

"Hi guys," said Jake. "Why are you in a hurry?"

"We want to go see the horses," said Midge jumping up and down and turning around and around.

"What horses?" asked Jake. "Are we going to the farm?"

"Gabby said they are making a new horse racing track near the farm," said Midge. "I want to go see the horses."

"How do you know the horses are there now?" asked Jake.

"We saw the truck with a trailer of horses going that way," said Booker-T. "I don't think you will talk Midge out of it,"

"Okay," said Jake. "We will go see the horses, but you can't ride any of them."

"Did I say I wanted to ride one of the horses?" asked Midge.

"You don't have to," laughed Jake. "We all know you want to ride one."

"Jake knows what you want to do," laughed Booker-T. "He knows you want to do human things."

"They have a lot of things to do," said Midge. "I want to do them too."

"We will go see the horses," said Jake. "But you can't ride them."

"Okay Jake," smiled Midge. "Lets go."

Jake followed Midge out the gate and they all strolled along the sidewalk on their way to the new horse race track. Gabby flew above them. They walked past the farm and up ahead they saw a couple of horse trailers near a long building and people walking around.

"Why do the buildings have holes in them?" asked Booker-T.

"Those are little rooms they call stalls where the horses are," said Jake. "They eat and sleep in those little rooms."

"Wow," said Midge. "We live in a house that is bigger than they are in and they are bigger than we are."

"That's sad," said Booker-T. "Horses are big. Why do they live in a little room?"

"I don't know," said Jake. "But they do get to run out in a big field sometimes."

"I am glad I am not a horse," said Midge.

"Why?" asked Gabby.

"I like my big house." said Midge. "Come on lets go see the horses."

The three looked around and saw no one near the building with the stalls. They hurried down and walked along the building . Near one of the stalls, suddenly a horse stuck his head out the whole.

"Hello," said the horse.

Midge jumped and looked up at the black horse with the white mark on his head. "You scared me."

"I'm sorry," said the horse. "Who are you?"

"I'm Midge," said Midge. "And these are my friends, Jake, Gabby and Booker-T."

"What are you doing here?" asked the horse.

"We came to see the horses," said Midge.

"She wants to ride a horse," said Booker-T. "Can she ride you?"

"I don't think so," said the horse.

"Why?" asked Midge.

"My owner won't let anyone ride me but Johnny," said the horse.

"What is your name?" asked Jake.

"I'm Swift Lightning," said the horse.

"That is a cool name," said Midge. "Maybe I can be Swift Midge."

"That sounds good Midge," laughed Booker-T.

"You can be Speedy Gabby," said Midge. "And Jake can be Fast Jake and Booker-T, you can be Tiger Booker."

"What happened to the T?" asked Booker-T. "I used the T for the Tiger."

"You are funny," laughed Swift Lightning. "Here comes my owner. You better run and hide."

"Bye Swift Lightning," said Midge. "We will come see you again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T