Monday, November 14, 2011

Midge Arrives Early at Jake's

   "Hey Jake!" called Midge as she strolled up the sidewalk to the front porch.  "What are you doing Jake?"
   "Hi Midge," greeted Jake.  "What are you doing here so early?  It's only 6:00 am."
   "I know," said Midge.  "My mistress had to leave the house early today and I was just laying there by myself and decided to come see if you were awake yet."
  "I am always up early in the morning," said Jake.  " I come out on the front porch around 5:30 am to enjoy the quiet of the morning.  My mistress gets up at 5:30 am to get ready for work."
   "Why does she get up so early?" asked Midge.  "My mistress doesn't usually get up til 6:30 am and then she leaves the house at 7:30.  I thought your mistress left the house at 7:30 also."

   "She does," said Jake.  "But it takes her a long time to get ready in the mornings.  She isn't as fast as your mistress is."
  "Why does it take her so long to get ready?" asked Midge. 
   "She is always slow," said Jake.  "She stops to watch the news and drink coffee and all when she is getting ready.  She is always taking forever to put on her makeup and fix the hair."
   "I think my mistress has herself ready to go to work in 30 minutes," said Midge.
   "Mine is always slow," said Jake.  "She was supposed to go shopping with her sister a few weeks ago and by the time her sister got to the house, my mistress still wasn't ready to go."
    "Oh wow," said Midge.  "Isn't that rude not to be ready to go on time?"
   "I think so," said Jake.  "I heard her sister tell her once time that she would be late to her own funeral as slow as she is."
   "Oh ha ha," laughed Midge. "That is funny.  But I think that is one place I would like to be late to.  don't want a funeral yet."
   "When her sister wants her to come to the her house for dinner or something, she always tells her to be there an hour before she really needs to be," said Jake.
   "Why?" asked Midge.  "Why does she give the wrong time?"
   "Because if she plans on dinner at 6:00 pm, then she will tell her to be there at 5:00 pm," said Jake.
   "But why does she do that?" asked Midge.  "That is strange."
   "Not really, " said Jake.  "She is always late, so her sister thinks by telling her that she needs to be there at 5:00 pm, then she will show up on time."
   "Oh," said Midge.  "I guess that makes sense.  Does it work?"
    "Sometimes it does," said Jake.  "But I think my mistress figured that one out and is still late getting where she needs to be."
   "I didn't know she was that slow getting ready to go some place," said Midge. 
   "That's my mistress," said Jake.  "She is slower moving than Gabby is. And you know how slow he is."
   "Oh yes," said Midge.  "Is there anything that she is on time for?"
   "Once in a while she manages to be on time," said Jake.  "My last vet visit, she was an hour late getting there." 
    "Oh my goodness," said Midge.  "I guess the vet wasn't happy with her."
    "She calls to let them know she had a problem and is running late but is on the way," said Jake. 
    "Does that help?" asked Midge. 
    "Yes," said Jake.  "It helps, but don't think the people are too happy that she keeps doing it."
    "Maybe one day, she will be on time," said Midge.  "My mistress hates to be late to anything. She would rather be early than late."
    "I hope one day she will be on time," said Jake.  "But you know, I wouldn't want to hold my breath that she will.  I might pass out."
    "Oh my," said Midge.
    "Want to share my breakfast Midge?" asked Jake.
    "No thank you," said Midge.  "I just finished eating something before I came over here.  Did you want to go to the park when you finish breakfast?"
    "Sure," said Jake. "Is Booker-T coming to the park today?"
    "I saw him last night and he said he was coming," said Midge.  "He sleeps late."
    "I know," said Jake.  "He sure does like to sleep.  He sleeps more than I do and I sleep a lot."
    "You do sleep a lot," said Midge.  "Why?"
    "I love to sleep," said Jake.  "It is so restful and makes me feel good."
    "Okay," said Midge.  "I lay down a lot but don't sleep most of the time.  I just rest."
    "Okay Midge,"  said Jake.  "I'm ready to go. Come on lets go find Snappy and see what he is doing?"
    The two friends wandered down the sidewalk and up the street to the park. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T