Friday, December 21, 2012

Gone To See The Animals


 “Hey Midge!” called Jake as he and Booker-T strolled up the steps to the porch. “What are you doing this morning?”
“I was napping,” said Midge.
“Napping?” asked Booker-T. “Why are you napping? Didn't you just wake up from sleeping the night?”
“Yes,” said Midge. “But I was so excited about the circus we saw yesterday that I didn't go to sleep til late.”
“Why?” asked Jake.
“I lay there thinking about all the acts and the exciting things going on,” said Midge. “And I think I ate too much stuff. I had a tummy ache last night after I laid down.”
“Me too,” said Booker-T. “I never ate so much stuff at one time before.”

“I know,” said Jake. “I ate too much too, but my tummy was okay.”
“How are you feeling now Midge?” asked Booker-T.
“I'm feeling some better now that I took a short nap,” said Midge. “What are you two doing this morning?”
“We are on the way to the park,” said Jake.
“But it is early,” said Midge. “What are you doing to do there so early in the morning?”
“We want to go watch them feed the animals at the tents and check them out,” said Booker-T. “Do you want to come along?”
“Sure,” said Midge as she jumped up ready to go.
“Okay, let's go,” said Booker-T as he hurried down the steps of the porch.
“You are sure in a hurry,” said Jake.
“I want to go see the animals,” replied Booker-T. “They are really big ones.”
The three hurried along the sidewalk to the corner where they crossed the street into the park. From above them, Gabby swooped down from the trees. “Where are you going?”
“We are going to see them feed the animals this morning,” said Midge. “What are you doing?”
“Just flying around at the tents,” answered Gabby. “They have lots of big animals this year.”
“I know,” said Jake. “We want to go check them out while no one is around.”
“The trainers are there,” said Gabby. “Be careful. They won't be happy if they see you sneaking around their animals.”
“Okay, thanks Gabby,” said Midge. “We will be careful.”
The three hurried across the park to where the tents were. They stopped behind some trees and watched. Near the tents, they could see men walking around carrying buckets of feed and hay for the horses and the elephants.
“Do you think we can get closer?” asked Booker-T. “I want to see those big cats up close.”
“They are over there in the big wagons with the bars on them,” said Jake. “Do you see anyone walking around near the wagons?”
“No,” said Midge. “Come on, lets hurry.”
They ran from the trees to where the wagons stood. Booker-T stood staring into one of the wagons at the huge cat inside. “Wow! he is really big!”
“I know,” said Midge. “He must be ten times your size.”
“Oh, I think he is much bigger than that,” said Gabby as he flew down and landed on the top of the wagon.
“You are probably right,” said Jake. “Those cats are very big ones and very dangerous.”
From behind the wagon, a man carrying a huge box came toward them. “Well well,” said the man. “What do we have here?”
The three stood staring at the man as he set down the box and held his hand out to the three friends. “Come on, it is okay. I won't hurt you.”
Jake slowly approached the man while Midge and Booker-T stood and watched. The man patted Jake on the head and smiled. “What are you doing here?”
Jake wagged his tail and then turned to join Midge and Booker-T. The three hurried away from the tents back toward the little pond at the other end of the park where they found Snappy sitting on the rock under the tree.
“What are you doing this morning?” asked Snappy.
“We were just looking at the big cats at the circus tents this morning,” said Booker-T. “They sure are big.”
“A man came and saw us so we left and came here,” said Midge.
“Did the man get mad because you were there?” asked Snappy.
“Oh no,” said Jake. “He was nice. He patted me on the head and then we left.”
“We will go back later and see the other big animals,” said Booker-T. “I don't think the man would like us wandering around the tents looking at the animals.”
“Where is Gabby?” asked Snappy.
“I'm up here,” called Gabby from the tree branch above the three.
“Hi,” said Snappy.
“So,” said Gabby. “You are going to try and go back to the tents later to see the animals?”
“Yes,” said Jake. “We want to see them all.”
“I think the posters said they do a show this afternoon about 2:00 so you better try and go before that time,” said Gabby.
“Okay,” said Booker-T. “We will go in a little while after we take short nap here.”
They stretched out on the green grass and closed their eyes for a short nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T