Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Young Man at the Pond

 “Dabba dabba doo,” sang Jake as he strolled along the sidewalk going to Midge's house. “Dabba dabba doo.”
Hey Jake,” said Booker-T as he came through the gate as Jake was passing his house.
Hi Booker-T,” said Jake.
Are you going to see Snappy?” asked Booker-T.
Yes,” said Jake. “Come on lets go see him before we go to the park.”
Booker-T joined Jake to walk over to Midge's house. “What were you singing?”
I think it was from a cartoon my owner was watching the other day,” said Jake. “But that is all I know. Dabba Dabba Doo.”
Funny,” laughed Booker-T.

They entered the yard and hurried into the back and Jake followed Booker-T through the doggie door. They hurried through the kitchen into the living room.
Hi Snappy,” called Jake as they entered the room.
Hey Jake!” called Snappy. “It is so good to see you.”
Where is Midge?” asked Booker-T.
I thought she was in the back yard,” said Snappy. “You didn't see her out there?”
No,” said Jake. “We didn't see her when we came in.”
Who are you looking for?” asked Midge as she entered the room.
We were looking for you,” said Booker-T. “Snappy thought you were outside in the back yard.”
I was but I came back in and I guess he didn't see me,” laughed Midge. “I was quiet when I came through the room.”
I think I was taking a little nap too,” said Snappy.
How are your new friends?” asked Jake.
What new friends?” asked Snappy.
Jimmy and Sammy,” said Midge.
Oh okay,” said Snappy. “They aren't new anymore. They are doing good. We talk all the time.”
That's good,” said Jake. “Do you miss the pond in the park?”
No,” said Snappy. “I miss seeing you all and swimming with you but I like my tank home very much. Our owner keeps it cleaned up all the time and gives me good food. I'm really comfortable in here and especially in the winter time.”
We all have nice homes,” said Jake. “Winter is too cold to be outside all the time.”
Especially when the snow and ice come,” said Snappy. “I could freeze to death out there.”
Are you guys going to the pond today?” asked Snappy.
Yes,” said Jake. “Do you want to come along with us? I can pull you in Midge's wagon.”
No,” said Snappy. “I think it would be fun but I better stay here.”
They put in lot of picnic tables in the park near the pond now,” said Midge.
Does it look nice now?” asked Snappy.
It looks nice but now there are more people around the pond,” said Booker-T.
Do they go swimming in the pond?” asked Snappy.
No,” said Booker-T.
No,” said Midge. “They mostly fish there.”
Oh wow,” said Snappy. “I'm glad I am here. Lot of fishing poles in the water would be hard for me to not get caught up in one.”
That would be bad,” said Midge. “I feel sorry for the fish they catch. Those hooks must hurt them a lot.”
I got stuck with one once and they are sharp,” said Snappy. “I'm safer here and more comfortable.”
I guess you are right,” said Jake. “I'm glad you have a better home now.”
Are we ready to go?” asked Midge. “I want to go swimming.”
We are ready,” said Jake. “We will see you later Snappy.”
Bye you guys,” said Snappy. “Have fun and don't get tangled in any fishing lines.”
Oh that's right,” said Midge. “If there are too many fishing, we will come back here.”
See you later Snappy,” called Booker-T as he went through the door to the kitchen.
Jake and Midge followed Booker-T into the kitchen and then out the doggie door. They went around the house to the front and out the gate and strolled along the sidewalk.
I think winter will be here soon,” said Jake. “I hope we can swim a little today.”
Maybe they won't be there right now,” said Midge. “Most of them will be in school and their dads will be at work.”
That is true,” said Jake. “School started a few weeks ago so maybe the pond will be quiet.”
They crossed the street into the park and hurried to the pond area. They found a young man leaning up against the tree near the pond but he wasn't fishing. He was just standing there staring at the pond.
I wonder what he is watching,” said Midge.
I don't know,” said Jake. “Do you want to go over to the pond or wait a few minutes to see if he goes?”
Lets stand here a few minutes and see what he does,” said Midge.
Yes,” said Booker-T. “Lets wait a few minutes.”
They sat down under the tree and watched the young man. In a few minutes, the man turned to face the tree and took his hand and gently ran his fingers across something on the tree. Then he turned back toward the pond and took something from his pocket that glistened in the sun and tossed it into the pond. He stood there a few minutes and then fell to his knees and cried.
Wonder what is wrong,” said Midge. “Do you think he will be okay?”
I don't know,” said Jake. “I wonder what he threw into the pond.”
In a few minutes the man picked up a small backpack and walked away from the pond. When he left the park, the three friends went to the tree beside the pond and looked up. In the tree were initials that read TG Loves JD.
I wonder if he is TG or JD,” said Midge. “Maybe something happened to the other one. Dive in the water and see what he tossed in, Jake.”
Why don't you check it out?” asked Jake.
Please Jake,” said Midge. “Will you check?”
Jake went to the water's edge and slowly walked into the water. He dived under the water and looked around in the rocks below. He found a gold locket on a pretty chain. He pulled it up to the surface and showed it to Midge and Booker-T. This maybe is what he tossed in, but I don't know. On the back it has the initials JD. “Can you make the locket open?” asked Midge.
I don't think so,” said Jake. “We need Gabby here. He could get it opened.”
Think we can take it home or should we toss it back in?” asked Booker-T.
I really think we need to leave it alone,” said Midge. “Toss it back in. The initials on the back of the locket are JD and that shows it must belong to one of the people on that tree.”
I think you are right Midge,” said Jake as he slowly tossed the locket back into the water.
I think maybe he lost someone he loved,” said Midge. “Maybe this is a way of burying her forever.”
Maybe,” agreed Jake.
Do you want to go back to the house?” asked Midge. “I don't feel like swimming now.”
Yes,” said Jake. “Come on Booker-T. We are going back to the house.”
They took one more look at the tree and wandered out of the park.
The walk back to the house was a quiet one. “I hope the young man will be okay,” said Midge.

I think he will,” said Jake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T