Friday, July 14, 2017

Midge and the Wagon

 “Hey Booker-T!” called Midge as she entered the gate at his yard. “Where are you?”
“I'm here,” said Booker-T as he came around the house from the back yard. “Why are you pulling the wagon?”
“I'm going to ride it,” said Midge.
“Ride it where?” asked Booker-T. “Are you going to go down the hill at the park?”
“No,” said Midge. “We are going to the skateboard park and I want to ride the wagon down the ramp.”
“Oh no,” said Booker-T shaking his head. “I don't think Jake will want you to do that.”
“It will be fun,” said Midge.
“How are you going to steer it down that ramp?” asked Booker-T. “It's not safe.”

“I can do it,” said Midge. “I will talk Jake into it.”
“I don't think it is a good idea,” said Booker-T.
“Come on,” said Midge. “Lets go to Jake's house and I will tell him I want to ride it down the ramp. It will be fun. Maybe Jake will want to try it too.”
The two of them walked along the sidewalk to Jake's house with Midge pulling the red wagon behind her.
“Can I ride in the wagon?” asked Booker-T.
“Sure,” said Midge. “It will be fun, don't you think.”
Booker-T jumped in the middle of the wagon and sat down. Midge suddenly stopped and turned to face Booker-T sitting in the wagon. “What are you doing?” asked Midge.
“I asked if I could ride in the wagon and you said, 'sure.'”
“I thought you wanted to ride it on the ramp,” said Midge.
“Oh no,” said Booker-T. “I think it is dangerous to ride down the skateboard ramp with the wagon. I wanted to ride it now.”
“Ha ha,” said Midge. “You are heavy.”
“Okay,” said Booker-T as he jumped out of the wagon. “I will walk.”
“You can ride the wagon down the hill,” said Midge. “I know you want to.”
“No,” said Booker-T. “I don't want to. I remember what happened when you rode the skateboard down the hill. You landed on your back.”
“But I was okay,” said Midge. “Maybe the wagon will work better. I can sit in it and won't fall out.”
“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “Maybe you will stay in the wagon if you put tape on your backside.”
“That's a good idea,” said Midge. “I wonder if Jake has some tape.”
“I was kidding,” Laughed Booker-T.
“But it might work good,” said Midge. “I can stick myself to the bottom of the wagon.”
“You are a nut,” giggled Booker-T. “I think Jake will think it is nutty too.”
The two turned the corner and hurried up the street to Jake's house. They entered the yard and looked around for Jake.
“Hey Jake!” called Booker-T. “Midge and I are here. Where are you?”
“I'm here,” said Jake as he walked around the house. “I was in the back eating some food. What are you doing with the wagon?”
“Midge wants to ride it on the skateboard ramp,” laughed Booker-T.
“That's not a good idea Midge,” said Jake. “You will fall off when it starts up the other ramp like you did on the skateboard.”
“Not if I tape my backside to the wagon,” suggested Midge.
“You want to tape yourself to the wagon?” asked Jake.
“It might just work,” said Midge. “Do you have some tape?”
“I think my owner has some tape in her office,” said Jake. “I don't think it will work.”
“Lets try,” said Midge. “I want to ride the wagon down the ramp.”
Jake grabbed the tape and tossed it into the wagon and the three started to the ramp. Midge was dancing around as they walked to the skateboard ramp.
“Slow down Midge,” said Booker-T. “We will get there.”
“I'm excited,” said Midge. “I want to ride the wagon down the ramp.”
“You can't ride it if there are kids using the ramp,” said Jake. “So slow down.”
They got to the ramp and no one was there. Midge stopped and grabbed the tape from the wagon.
“Put the tape on my Jake,” said Midge.
“Okay,” agreed Jake. “I think this is a bad idea.”
The tape was in place on her backside and she pulled the wagon to the top of the ramp. Bang bang bang it went as she pulled it up the stairs. She got the wagon in place and climbed into it and sat their looking around.
“What's wrong?” asked Booker-T.
“I'm thinking,” said Midge.
“What are you thinking?” asked Jake.
“I'm getting ready,” said Midge as she stuck her foot out of the wagon to give herself a shove down the ramp.
The wagon sped down the ramp and then started up the other side. Jake and Booker-T held their breath and watched as the wagon started up the other side. About half way up the ramp, Midge fell backwards and out of the wagon onto the ramp. Jake and Booker-T ran to her side to be sure she was okay as the wagon fell back onto Midge. “Ouch!” said Midge.
“Are you okay?” asked Jake.
“I think so,” said Midge as she slowly stood up and stared at the wagon. “I guess the tape didn't work.”
“Why didn't it work?” asked Booker-T.
“Only one side of the tape is sticky,” said Jake. “I didn't think it would work.”
“Why didn't you tell me?” asked Midge.
“Because you really wanted to ride the wagon,” said Jake.
“Pull off the tape,” said Midge as she turned around.
Jake grabbed the end of the tape and pulled it off.
“Ouch!” said Midge. “That hurt.”
“It was stuck to your fur,” said Jake.
“Do I still have fur on the backside?” asked Midge.
“Yes,” said Jake. “Only a little fur came out when I pulled the tape.”
“Lets go home,” said Midge.
“Okay,” said Jake. “I think that is a good idea. I don't think riding the wagon on the ramp is good.”
“I will find something else to do,” said Midge.
“Think of something safe,” said Jake.
“Was it fun?” asked Booker-T.
“Oh yes,” said Midge. “It was so much fun until I fell out.”
“How do those kids get those skateboards to go up the ramp?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Midge.
“Maybe we can come back another time and watch what they do,” suggested Jake as they walked back to the house.


        “That is a good idea,” said Booker-T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T