Friday, March 30, 2018

Sing a Little Song


Midge sat on the front porch looking around the neighborhood. It was early and all was nice and quiet.
This is a good time of day,” thought Midge. “I love the quiet time.”
Booker-T came strolling to the house singing “Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost over night?”
“Hi Midge,” greeted Booker-T with a smile.
“What are you singing?” asked Midge.
“Isn't it silly?” laughed Booker-T.
“It sounded silly,” said Midge. “What is it? Sing it again.”

“Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bed post over night,” sang Booker-T. “If your mom says don't chew it, do you swallow it in spite.”
“Do you chew gum?” asked Midge.
“No,” said Booker-T. “It sticks to my teeth and I don't like it.”
“That's a funny song,” said Midge. “Where did you hear that one?”
“My owner's niece came to the house yesterday and she was playing a lot of really silly songs,” said Booker-T.
“What else did she play?” asked Midge. “Do you remember any others?”
“Let me see,” said Booker-T rolling his eyes. “Here's one. My boomerang won't come back, My boomerang won't come back.”
“What's a boomerang?” asked Midge.
“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “But he sings it won't come back. I toss the thing all over the place, but my boomerang won't come back.”
“Maybe it got angry about being tossed around,” suggested Midge. “If he kept throwing me, I wouldn't come back either. I wonder if Jake knows what a boomerang is.”
“What is what?” asked Jake as he walked up to the porch.
“Do you know what a boomerang is?” asked Midge.
“No,” said Jake. “ Who has a boomerang?”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “Booker-T was singing his boomerang won't come back but he don't know what it is.”
“If he don't know what it is,” said Jake. “How does he know it didn't come back.”
“It isn't my boomerang,” laughed Booker-T. “It was in the song.”
“He was singing some funny songs this morning,” said Midge.
“My owner's niece is at the house and she loves playing those silly songs,” said Booker-T. “They make me laugh.”
“Sing another one Booker-T,” said Midge.
“Go ahead,” said Jake. “I want to hear one.”
“Please Mr. Custer, I don't want to go,” sang Booker-T.
“Where is Mr. Custer sending him?” asked Jake.
“I don't know,” said Booker-T. “But he doesn't want to go. He said there was a redskin waiting there to take his scalp.”
“What is a redskin?” asked Jake.
“Isn't that a football team?” asked Midge. “My owner watches them playing football all the time.”
“Why do they want to steal the guys scalp?” asked Jake. “Maybe they want to steal his football.”
“Do you have any more funny ones?” asked Midge. “We just don't know where this Custer guy wants that man to go.”
“I think I remember one more,” said Booker-T. “Hello mudder, hello fadder. Here I am at camp Granada. Camp is very entertaining and they say we'll have fun if it stops raining.
“Aw, his mom and dad sent him to camp to have fun,” said Midge.
“But it's no fun when it keeps raining,” said Jake.
“Where is camp Granada?” asked Booker-T. “Do you think we can go there?”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “Does the song say where it is?”
“No,” said Booker-T. “Maybe that's where the guys boomerang went.”
“Maybe it's stuck in a tree and can't come back,” suggested Midge.
“I hope he finds his boomerang,” said Booker-T.
“And maybe the guy named Custer won't make the guy go play with that football team,” said Midge.
“Do you have bed posts on your bed Jake?” asked Booker-T.
“No,” said Jake. 'My owner's bed don't either . Why?”
“No place to put our chewing gum at night,” said Booker-T.
“I don't chew gum,” said Jake.
“Humans have the silliest music don't they,” said Midge.
“Some are really funny,” said Jake.


1 comment:

  1. ah, yes, a trip down memory lane, all the best of the funny ones.
    Love it

    ReplyDelete

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T