Thursday, April 19, 2018

Here Comes Summer


“Summer is coming,” sang Midge as she danced around on the porch. “Old man winter is going away and summer is coming.”
“What are you doing Midge?” asked Booker-T as he walked up to the porch.
“I'm dancing and singing,” sang Midge.
“Why are you singing and dancing?” sang Booker-T. “Stop that, you got me doing it now. Why are you singing and dancing?”
“Because winter is going and summer is coming,” said Midge. “No more cold weather and no more snow.”
“I thought you like the snow,” said Booker-T.

“It's okay,” said Midge. “But my feet get cold. Don't your feet get cold in the snow?”
“Didn't your owner buy you some little boots to wear in the snow?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't like them,” said Midge. “I like to go barefoot.”
“Me too,” said Booker-T. “I never got used to wearing them. They feel funny on my feet.”
“I don't think dogs should wear shoes,” said Midge.
“I don't think cats should either,” said Booker-T. “Does Jake like his little boots?”
“I don't think so,” said Midge. “I never see him wearing them.”
“Maybe Jake don't like them either,” said Booker-T.
“What don't I like?” asked Jake as he joined Midge and Booker-T on the porch. “I heard you when I walked up.”
“Do you like the boots for your feet?” asked Midge.
“No,” said Jake. “I buried my boots in the backyard so my owner can't find them. She thinks she lost them.”
“That's funny,” laughed Midge. “I didn't think of that. I don't like the little boots either. When she tries to put them on, I just hurry outside barefooted.”
“They are just trying to keep us warm,” said Booker-T. “I just don't like wearing booties on my feet. They are for babies.”
“I'm so happy that summer is coming and the warm weather,” said Midge. “Don't you just love summer Jake. There is so much more to do in summer.”
“I like the warm weather too,” said Jake. “But if it gets too hot, I'm always panting and needing water.”
“Me too,” said Midge. “But that's okay. I like it better than the cold. Good-bye old man winter. We will see you another time.”
Gabby swooped down from the tree and landed on the porch rail.
“What are you guys doing?” asked Gabby.
“We were just talking about summer coming and winter going,” said Midge.
“Summer is good,” said Gabby. “I can find more worms in the summer.”
“I guess it is hard to find them in the winter,” said Midge.
“Did you see what is going on in the park at the pond?” asked Gabby.
“No,” said Jake. “We haven't gone there in a couple days.”
“It just started today,” said Gabby. “they are having a fishing contest for the kids today.”
“I like fish,” said Booker-T. “I can catch fish without a fishing pole.”
“I don't like fish,” said Midge. “I like meat.”
“You can't fish for meat,” said Booker-T.
“I don't have to fish for meat,” smiled Midge. “My owner just gives it to me.”
“They come from different places,” said Jake. “Some times my owner gives me food that taste like Fish. I like it sometimes.”
“Do you like the fishy taste?” asked Midge.
“It is okay,” said Jake. “I will eat anything that taste good.”
“You are like Mikey,” laughed Midge. “You will eat anything.'
“Who is Mikey?” asked Jake.
“I see him on the commercials on TV sometimes,”said Midge. “They said he eats anything and all the kids give him their cereal.”
“Does Mikey eat it?” asked Booker-T.
“He always eats it,” said Midge.
“Are you going to go watch the fishing contest?” asked Gabby.
“Why are they doing a fishing contest?” asked Midge.
“I think it kicks off the start of the warm weather,” said Gabby. “It's for the kids.”
“What did they kick?” asked Booker-T.
“The warm weather,” said Jake.
“Why would they kick the warm weather?” asked Booker-T. “Wouldn't it be better to kick the winter out of here.”
“I think they did,” said Gabby. “They are saying good-bye to winter's cold.”
“Lets go see what they are doing,” said Jake.
The three hurried out the gate and strolled along the sidewalk. As they passed the gym, Jake noticed a sign on the outside of the building.
“What does it say?” asked Midge.
“They are having a hockey game here tonight,” read Jake.
“What is hockey?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Midge. “Do you know Jake?”
“No,” replied Jake. “I never heard of it. Where's Gabby. He might know.”
Gabby swooped down from above and landed on Jake's head. “What's up?”
“What is this hockey thing?” asked Midge.
“They have sticks and they keep trying to hit this round thing that they call a puck,” said Gabby.
“Why?” asked Jake.
“One side keeps hitting the puck and trying to put it into a net and get points,” said Gabby.
“Wouldn't it be easier just to throw the net on the top of the puck and catch it?” said Midge.
“What does a puck look like?” asked Booker-T.
“It is round and not too flat,” said Gabby.
“Do you want to watch them play the funny game?” asked Midge.
“Lets sneak in and watch,” said Booker-T.
The three walked inside and didn't see them. They quickly went to the back and found a place near the floor where they were playing.
“Wow, they are fast,” said Midge as she watched them chase this thing around the floor with sticks.
The puck came toward them and suddenly Booker-T ran out and grabbed it and ran across the floor with all the players chasing him and screaming, "Drop it!" . He ran with it and dropped the puck under one of the nets and then ran back to where Jake and Midge were watching him and laughing.
“We better get out of here,” said Jake. “I don't think they are too happy right now.”
“I guess we should have gone to watch the kids fish,” laughed Midge.
“I think so too,” said Gabby.  "Let's go to the park.  Hurry, here comes someone to chase us out of here." 
    The three hurried out the door and along the sidewalk with Gabby flying above.  

2 comments:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T