Friday, May 20, 2022

Joey the Kangaroo

 Midge, Jake, Booker-T and Lucy walked over to the other cage and stood staring at the animal in the cage. 

   “What are you guys looking at?” asked the animal inside the cage.

    “What kind of animal are you?” asked Midge.  “You sure have long back legs.”

   “I'm a kangaroo,” said the animal.  “My name is Joey, What's yours?”

    “I'm Midge,” said Midge.  “And these are my friends, Jake, Lucy and Booker-T. 

  “What are you doing here?” asked Joey.  “You aren't in a cage like me.”

   “We came to visit the animals in the cages,” said Lucy.  “Why are your legs so big in the back? My legs are the same size.”

   “I don't know,” said Joey.  “I was born this way.  I can jump and run fast.”

   “I can jump and run fast too,” said Jake.

   “I don't think you can jump as high as I can,” smiled Joey.  “I'm pretty good.”

    “Look at me!” said Midge as she jumped into the air.  “Don't you think this is good?”

    “That's pretty good,” said Joey.

    Jake leaped into the air and went over Lucy and Booker-T.  “How is that?” asked Jake. 

   “Not bad,” smiled Joey. 

    “Can you go higher?” asked Lucy. 

    Joey backed up to the back of the cage and hurried forward to the bars and when he was close, he leaped into the air and hit the bars with his large back feet.  It startled the four friends and they quickly backed up.

   “Wow!” said Midge.  “That was good.”

    'Yes,” laughed Joey.  “I'm good.”

    “Do you jump all the time?” asked Booker-T. 

    “No,” said Joey.  “Sometimes I just run or walk.”

   “You can do longer steps than we can,” said Lucy.

   “Yes,” said Joey.  “If you run and walk, I will beat you.”

   “Wow,” said Booker-T.  “That is cool.”

    “Yes,” said Jake.  “You will always win a race.”

   “I do,” smiled Joey.  “Can you open the door on this cage so I can come out to play with you?”

   “We can't,” said Midge.  “The humans locked the doors and they have the keys.”

    “Why?” asked Joey.

   “I think they lock the so you can't get out and run away,” said Lucy.

    “But you guys are out there,” said Joey. “I want to come out with you.”

   “They don't want you to come out here,” said Jake.

  “Why?” asked Joey.

   “This paper says you are going to a zoo in Chicago,” said Jake.  “They will put you on a truck in the morning.”

   “Why?” asked Joey.  “I liked my home.”

    “Did something happen to your home?” asked Midge.

  “No,” said Joey.

   “Did you hear the humans talking when they drove you here?” asked Midge,.

  “They said something about me being lonesome,” said Joey.  “So they were sending m to be with another kangaroo.”

   “That will be nice,” said Lucy. “You will have a friend to play with.”

   “You didn't have a friend here?” asked Jake.

   “I had a friend, sighed Joey.  “But he went away.”

   “Where did he go?” asked Booker-T.

   “I don't know,” said Joey.  “The humans came one day and they took Misty with them and she never came back.”

  “That is sad,” said Booker-T.  “Now you will have a new friend.”

   “Can I say here and be your friend?” asked Joey.  “You ask a lot of questions, but I like you.”

   “We like you too Joey,” but you can't stay with us.” said Midge.

   “Why?” asked Joey. 

   “Because we are human pets,” said Jake.  “And you are a wild animal.”

    “I'm not wild,” said Joey.  “I am calm and like to have fun.”

    “Humans say you are wild so they take care of you,” said Jake. “They give you nice home and take care of giving you your foot.”

    “What do humans say about you?” asked Joey.

    “They say we are pets and they take care of us in their homes and give us our food,” said Midge.

    “I want to be a pet too,” said Joey. 

   “Maybe Kangaroos don't make good pets,” suggested Booker-T.  “You might break things when you jump so high or run so fast.”

    “I can be good,” sighed Joey.

   'I think you will like your new home and your new friend” said Midge.  “Just give it all a chance.”

   “Okay,” said Joey.  “I will do that.  Thanks for coming to see me and the other animals.”

   “Enjoy your new home,” said Jake. 

   “I will,” smiled Joey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T