Friday, October 14, 2022

What is the Human Doing?

 

Midge, Jake and Booker-T walked along the sidewalk on their way to the park where they are to meet Lucy. They turned the corner and saw these little humans playing on the sidewalk and they were drawing squares on the sidewalk.

What are they doing?” asked Midge. “Why are they drawing squares?”

I don't know,” said Booker-T.

Maybe they are drawing some buildings on the sidewalk,” suggested Jake.

It's a funny looking building,” smiled Midge. “I never saw any buildings with the numbers in them like that.”

Our houses have a number on the door,” said Booker-T. “Maybe those numbers are the address of the buildings.”

One of the girls stood at the number one and tossed a small coin into the number one and then jumped over it into the box with the number 2 in it, then into the number 3 and number 4 hopping on one foot. When she reached the numbers 5 & 6 that were side by side, she put down one foot in number 5 and another in number 6, then one foot in 7 and then the 8 & 9 were side by side again.. then into the big square at the top that had the number 10 in it. When she got to the top, she turned around and hopped back picking up the coin from the number 1 while standing in the number 2 square and bending over. Then jumped into the number 1 and out. The second little girl started to do the same, but when she jumped into the number 3, she touched the line so her turn ended and the first little girl won the game.

What do they call this game?” asked Midge.

I don't know,” said Jake. “We need to go meet Lucy. Maybe she knows.”

I think we stood here too long watching those little humans,” said Booker-T.

Why do you think we did?” asked Midge.

Because here comes Lucy now,” said Booker-T. “She probably thinks we forgot her.”

I guess we did,” said Jake.

Hey you guys,” said Lucy as she walked up to them. “What happened? I was waiting at the park for you.”

Sorry Lucy,” said Jake. “We were on the way and stopped to watch the little humans playing that strange jumping game.”

What is it?” asked Lucy.

We don't know,” said Midge. “They keep throwing down a little coin and one is using a rock and then they jump in all those squares with numbers.”

Why?” asked Lucy.

I don't know,” said Jake. “It sure is a lot of jumping.”

Can we try it?” asked Midge. “I want to try.”

How can you stand on one foot?” asked Booker-T. “I can barely stand on two feet. I would fall over if I tried to stand on one foot.”

Humans can stand on one foot, but I don't think we can,” laughed Lucy.

I will try,” said Midge. “Maybe I can.”

Lets go to the park and you can try when we are going home,” said Jake. “Maybe the little humans won't be playing on the squares when we go home.”

Okay,” said Midge. “Lets go swim in the pond.”

Okay,” agreed the others.

They hurried across the street into the park and ran through the trees to the pond where they found Gabby splashing in the water.

Hey there Gabby,” said Midge. “What are you doing?”

Hi guys,” smiled Gabby. “The water feels good. Come on in.”

Midge and Lucy ran for the water and at the edge of the pond, leaped into the water with a big splash. Jake and Booker-T ran behind them and leaped into the air and splashed down into the pond.

The water feels cool today,” said Jake. “I think all the new trees the humans planted near the pond are keeping the sun off the pond so the water is cool.”

'I liked the warm water,” said Midge.

Fall is also here now,” said Lucy “Maybe that is why is it cooler.”

Do you like the fall?” asked Booker-T.

I do,” said Jake. “I think all the pretty colors of the leaves are nice.”

I like the orange leaves,” smiled Booker-T. “It's my favorite color.”

Hey Gabby,” said Midge. “Do you know what game the humans play on the sidewalk when they draw 10 boxes and they are jumping around in the boxes?”

I think the humans who live near the farm where I live, play that game,” said Gabby. “I think they call it Hopscotch or something like that.”

I'm going to try it,” said Midge.

Gabby fell off the rock in the water, he was laughing so hard.

What's so funny?” asked Booker-T.

Midge trying to stand on one leg in a square box,” laughed Gabby.

That will be funny,” said Lucy.

We don't think you can do it, Midge,” said Jake. “You might get hurt trying to stand

on one leg.

Stand up there and try to stand on one leg,” said Booker-T.

Now?” asked Midge.

Sure,” said Lucy. “It will be better to fall over on the grass then the hard sidewalk.”

Okay,” said Midge as she climbed out of the water.

Midge lifted one leg and stood there one 3 legs. She took a breath and slowly lifted the other front leg.

I'm standing on two legs now,” said Midge.

I see that,” smiled Jake. “Now lift up one of your back legs.”

Okay,” said Midge and she took another breath.

You aren't lifting it,” said Booker-T.

I'm thinking about it,” said Midge.

No thinking,” smiled Gabby. “Lift it in the air and then jump forward.”

You want me to jump too?” asked Midge.

If you want to play that game,” said Jake. “You have to lift the leg and jump.”

Okay,” said Midge. “Here goes.”

Midge slowly tried to lift up the back leg. Suddenly she lost her balance and fell over sideways onto the ground. “Ouch!” shouted Midge.

Are you okay?” asked Lucy.

Yes,” said Midge. “But I think we have to forget about that square game.”

I think so,” agreed Jake and the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T