Friday, November 18, 2022

Sleepy Head

Midge woke up and stretched and sat on the edge of the bed. She looked around and her owner was no longer in the bed. She jumped down and ran into the living room and jumped into the chair near Snappy's tank.

Hi Snappy!” said Midge. “Did our owner go to work?”

Yes,” said Snappy. “She gave me some food and I saw her go to the car and drive away. Were you sleeping?”

I didn't hear her get up,” said Midge. “I was real tired last night.”

Why?” asked Snappy. “You are always awake when our owner gets up and goes to work.”

I know,” said Midge. “I think all the playing we did yesterday tired me out.”

What did you do?” asked Snappy.

We went to the zoo building and ran around the park before I came home,” said Midge.

But that was in the morning,” smiled Snappy. “Didn't you rest in the afternoon? I think you were sleeping on the sofa for a long nap.”

Maybe that nap made me tired,” suggested Midge.

Maybe you had an active dream,” said Snappy. “Did you dream?”

Let me think,” said Midge as she stared out the window. “I can't remember if I dreamed anything.”

I don't remember my dreams either,” said Snappy.

Sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't,” said Midge. “I wonder why I don't remember them all.”

I don't know,” said Snappy. “I'm just a little turtle.”

What do you dream when you dream?” asked Midge.

I don't know,” said Snappy. “Remember I said I don't remember.”

Oh yes,” said Midge. “You did say you don't remember. Maybe turtles don't dream.”

Maybe we don't,” agreed Snappy.

What don't you do?” asked Booker-T as he ran into the room.

Hi Booker-T,” greeted Midge.

I don't think I dream,” said Snappy. “I never remember any dreams.”

Sometimes I dream,” said Booker-T.

What do you dream about when you dream?” asked Midge.

I'm always chasing a mouse or a dog is chasing me up a tree,” Laughed Booker-T.

But you don't chase mice,” said Midge.

I know,” said Booker-T. “I used to chase them when I was a homeless cat.”

I'm glad you aren't a homeless cat now,” smiled Midge. “And now you are friends with all animals, mice and dogs and birds.”

I like being friends with everyone,” said Booker-T.

And you are friends with turtles too,” said Snappy. “Don't forget we are friends.”

I know,” said Booker-T. “Isn't it nice having friends?”

Hey you guys!” said Jake as he and Lucy entered the room.

Hi Jake, Lucy,” said Midge. “I didn't know you were coming to my house.”

Lucy and I were waiting for you at my house and you didn't come,” said Jake.

She slept late,” laughed Snappy.

What happened?” asked Lucy. “Are you sick, Midge?”

No,” said Midge. “I was tired when I went to bed last night and I guess I didn't wake up this morning when my owner got out of bed.”

What did you do last night?” asked Jake. “Did you stay awake and watch a movie with your owner?”

I think I did,” said Midge. “She turned on the TV in the bedroom and I laid on the bed with her watching it.”

Sleepy head,” laughed Lucy. “That's okay. I like to sleep late some times.”

Me too,” said Booker-T. “I bet we all like to sleep late some times.”

Snappy and I were talking about dreaming,” said Midge. “Do you remember what you dream about Jake and Lucy?”

I dream sometimes,” said Lucy. “I always dream I am running in the fields with the horses. They like to run around the fields.”

I dream of my owner giving me a big basket of bones,” smiled Jake. “I love to lay on the porch swing and chew on my bones.”

Don't you like to have fun with us at the park and the zoo building?” asked Midge.

I like that too,” said Jake. “And all the other things we do.”

We always have fun don't we?” asked Midge.

I like to have fun too,” said Lucy. I like to do the things that humans do.”

Me too!” said Midge.

We know that,” laughed Jake. “So, sleepy head, what are we doing today?”

I don't know yet,” said Midge. “Do you have any ideas?”

I saw Gabby on the way to your house and he said that there is a horse show in the park today,” said Jake. “Do you want to go see the horses?”

Lets go!” said Booker-T.

That will be fun,” said Midge. “Maybe I can ride one of the horses.”

I don't think so,” said Jake. “Their owners won't let you get on them.”

I like horses,”' said Midge.

But you don't ride very good,” smiled Booker-T. “Remember the last time you tried. You fell off.”

I didn't have a good hold on the horse,” said Midge. “I can do better this time.”

We will go see the horses,” said Jake.

The four ran out the doggie door and through the front gate onto the sidewalk and ran to the park. There were a lot of humans standing around a large tent that someone put in the park. They walked to the tent and peaked inside. They saw a beautiful white horse standing in the center of the tent with a young human girl holding a rope that was on the horse.

I like the white horse,” smiled Lucy. “It is so pretty.”

They went inside the tent and sat down along the edge of the tent to watch the horse being led around the center of the tent.

I love all the horses,” said Midge. “I think I can prance around like they do.”

You are good at prancing around,” laughed Booker-T.

You are funny,” said Midge as she flipped her head back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T