Friday, August 4, 2023

Percy the Ferret

 

Midge sat on the front porch waiting for Booker-T to walk over and then they are going to walk to Jake's house. As she sat there looking around, she saw something lurking in the bushes outside the fence. Midge stared in the direction of the bushes and when Booker-T came and walked into the yard through the gate, something followed him into the yard.

Hi Midge,” greeted Booker-T.

Who is your friend?” asked Midge.

What friend?” asked Booker-T looking confused. “I don't have anyone with me.”

Look behind you,” said Midge.

Booker-T turned to look and there sat a small animal standing there staring at them.

Who are you?” asked Midge standing up and walking toward Booker-T.

Hi,” said the little animal blinking his eyes.

Do you have a name?” asked Midge.

I sure do,” said the little animal. “Don't you have one?”

I'm Midge,” said Midge. “And this is my friend, Booker-T.”

I'm Percy,” said the little animal. “Do you live here in this house?”

I do,” said Midge. “Where do you live?”

I'm lost,” said Percy. “I don't know where I live.”

How did you get here?” asked Booker-T.

On my legs,” laughed Percy. “Don't you go places on your legs?”

We do,” said Midge.

Your legs are longer than mine,” sighed Percy.

Did you walk away from your home?” asked Booker-T.

I think so,” said Percy.

You don't know?” asked Midge.

No,” sighed Percy. “I walk in my sleep.”

Don't your owner lock the doors at night?” asked Booker-T.

It was daytime and I was sleeping on the porch,” said Percy.

You must be close to here,” said Midge.

How do you know?” asked Percy.

You have little legs,” said Booker-T. “I don't think you went too far.”

I can walk fast,” said Percy.

Hi guys,” said Jake as he and Lucy entered the yard and joined them at the porch. “Who is this?”

This is Percy,” said Midge.

Hi Percy,” smiled Jake. “I'm Jake and this is our friend Lucy.”

Do you live close to here?” asked Lucy.

I don't know,” said Percy.

You don't know where you live?” asked Jake. “Why?”

We just moved in here two days ago,” said Percy.

Why did you walk away from the new home?” asked Lucy.

He said he sleep walks,” smiled Midge. “He must live around here some place.”

Do you think you will know your house if we see it?” asked Jake.

I think so,” said Percy.

Do you know what color your house is?” asked Booker-T.

My house is brown brick with light green windows,” said Percy.

Oh,” said Midge. “I know where there is a brown house with green windows.”

Where?” asked Lucy.

There is a brown house with green windows on it by the school,” said Midge.

You walked a long way if that I your house,” said Booker-T.

Do you want to walk over there?” asked Jake. “We will all walk that way.”

Okay,” said Percy. “Can I have a drink of water first?”

Sure,” smiled Midge. “Lets go in the house and you can have some of my water.”

You don't look like a cat or a dog,” said Lucy. “Do you know what kind of animal you are?”

I think my owner calls me a ferret,” said Percy.

I don't know what a ferret is,” said Midge.

Sure you do,” laughed Percy. “I'm a ferret so yes you know.”

I guess I do,” said Midge. “What do you like to eat?”

I like chicken,” said Percy. “Do you eat chicken?”

Sometimes,” said Booker-T. “I usually eat cat food with chicken and fish flavor.”

I eat dog food,” said Midge.

Lucy and I also eat dog food,” said Jake.

Do they have Ferret food?” asked Lucy.

I don't know,” said Percy.

What do you like to do?” asked Midge.

I like to play with my ball and I like to sit on my owner's lap and cuddle,” said Percy.

Lets go walk toward the school and see if you can see your house,” said Jake.

Okay,” agreed Percy as the five of them started to walk through the gate.

They strolled along the sidewalk when a car passed them going very slow. Suddenly the big red car turned around and pulled up along the curb and a pretty human lady got out of the car and hurried to the five walkers.

Percy!” called the human. “Where have you been? I was worried!”

Is this your owner?” asked Midge.

Yes,” smiled Percy as he ran up to her and leaped into her arms. “Good-bye everyone.”

Bye Percy,” said Midge and the others as they stood there and watched the car drive away as Percy pressed his nose against the window and waved his little paw.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T