Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Midge and the Baby Birds


   “Hey Jake!” screamed Midge as she hurried up the sidewalk to the porch. “Where are you Jake?”

   “Midge!” shouted Jake as he sat up bumping his head on the bottom of the swing. “I am right here, where you see me every day at this time.”

   “I know it,” said Midge.  “That is your favorite spot.”

   “If you know it,” said Jake.  “Why do you always ask me where I am?”

   “I don’t know,” said Midge.  “I guess because when I start walking to the porch, I can’t see you behind that table.”

   “Wait til you step up onto the porch before you ask me,” said Jake. “You always scream and I jump up and hit my head every time.”


   “Why do you hit your head Jake?” asked Midge.  “Doesn’t that hurt?”

   “Yes it hurts,” said Jake.

   “Then why do you jump up so fast and hit your head?” asked Midge.

   “Because when you scream my name like that, I get scared and jump,” said Jake.

   “Oh,” said Midge.  “You don’t have to be scared of me Jake.  I’m your friend Midge.”

   “I know,” said Jake.  “I’m not scared of you.”

   “Then don’t jump when you hear my voice,” said Midge.

   “Never mind Midge,” said Jake.  “I promise not to jump up and hit my head if you will promise not to scream my name out anymore.”

   “Okay Jake,” said Midge.  “I promise I won’t scream your name anymore.  I will slowly walk up here and look before I ask where you are.”

   “Thank you Midge,” said Jake.  “Now that we have that solved, what is it you are so excited about?”

   “Why do you think I’m excited?” asked Midge.

    “Because you screamed my name and hurried up the porch steps,” said Jake.  “You are always excited about something when you come hurrying like that.”

    “Oh okay,” said Midge.  “Yes I am. Guess what is at my house?”

    “I can’t imagine what it is,” said Jake. 

    “Just guess Jake,” said Midge.

   “Okay fine,” said Jake.  “Let me see, what might you have that is new and an exciting thing?”

   “You can’t guess?” asked Midge.

   “I’m thinking,” said Jake.

    “Oh okay,” said Midge.  “That’s good, but I don’t think you will be able to guess what it is.”

    “I might,” said Jake.  “Let me think a minute and pace back and forth a little.”

    “Okay,” said Midge as she jumped onto the swing.  “I will sit right here while you are thinking.”

     Jake paced back and forth in front of the swing, stopping to look at Midge once in a while.  “Hmmmm,” said Jake.  “What would be exciting to have.  Let me see.”

    “Can you guess it Jake?” asked Midge with a smile on her face.

    “Nope,” said Jake. “I have no idea what is so exciting to you.  You can tell me now.”

    “There are three baby birds on our front porch Jake,” said Midge with a big smile.  “Three baby birds. Isn’t that nice?”

     “Where did you get three baby birds?” asked Jake.

    “Their momma had them in our plant basket,” said Midge.  “They are real tiny.”

   “I know their momma had them.  Why are they in your plant basket?” asked Jake.

    “A momma bird makes a nest in the plant basket every year and lays her eggs there,” said Midge.

   “Did you have baby birds last year too?” asked Jake.

   “Yes,” said Midge.  “I didn’t see them last year, I just heard my mistress talking about them one day.  But I didn’t see them.” 

   “Have you seen these baby birds?” asked Jake. 

   “I saw them this morning when I jumped on the chair and looked in,” said Midge. “I heard them peeping so I wanted to see.”

   “Can I see them Midge?” asked Jake.  “Yes if you want to.  Come on and lets go to the house and I will show you.”

   Midge and Jake hurried down the steps and ran to Midge’s house to see the baby birds. 

    “Look in that big basket up there Jake,” said Midge as they climbed the steps to the porch. 

   Jake jumped onto the swing and looked into the basket. “Oh wow Midge, they are real tiny.”

    “Yes they are Jake,” said Midge with a smile.

    “Thanks for letting me see them,” said Jake.

    “Okay,” said Midge.  “Now we can go play in the park with Booker-T.”

     The two hurried along the sidewalk to the park to meet Booker-T. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T