Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jake and the ID Chip


“Dum di dum,” sang Jake as he pranced along the sidewalk to Midge's house.

“You are sure happy this morning,” said Midge as Jake scampered up the steps to the porch where Midge sat in the middle of the porch swing.

“This is a great morning Midge,” smiled Jake. “Do you notice anything this morning?”

“Is there something different?” asked Midge.

“There is,” replied Jake. “You don't see it?”

“No, I don't see anything different today,” said Midge. “You look the same to me.”

“Look closer,” said Jake as he pranced across the porch.

Midge starred at him and just shook her head. “I don't see anything different this morning. Are you going to tell me what it is?”

“I got a new collar and tag,” said Jake.

“But it looks like the old one,” said Midge. “I see the tag is little shinier than the other one, but the collar is the same.”

“It is the same, but it is new,” said Jake. “Don't the Blue color look brighter now?”

“I guess you are right,” said Midge. “Looking closer now, I see it is new one. No scratches on it like you had on the old one. That is nice. When did you get that one?”

“My mistress put it on me last night when we got home from the vet's,” said Jake. “He gave me my yearly shots and I got this new shiny tag.”

“That is a nice tag,” said Midge. “And I like your blue collar.”

“When do you get your new tag for the year?” asked Jake.

“I don't remember,” said Midge. “I think it is sometime this month we have to go.”

“This tag is much nicer than the one from last year,” said Jake. “It even has a picture of me on the back side with my name and address.”

Midge looked closer at the tag. “Oh, I see,” said Midge. “That is a nice picture of you Jake.”

“It is supposed to help anyone who might find me if I get lost,” said Jake.

“You never get lost,” said Midge. “You are too smart to go somewhere and get lost.”

“I know,” said Jake. “But my mistress wants to be sure if I do get lost and someone finds me, they will get me back home where I belong.”

“Yes,” said Midge. “My mistress is the same way. She had something called a chip put into me for my protection. If I get lost or someone picks me up, they know where I belong.”

“I heard about those chips,” said Jake. “Did it hurt when they put it in?”

“No, I didn't feel anything,” said Midge. “They rubbed something on my skin before they inserted it and I didn't feel it.”

“Oh wow,” said Jake. “That is cool. My mistress hasn't done the chip thing yet.”

“Maybe the vet will tell her about it later and you will get one,” said Midge.

“What are you two talking about?” asked Booker-T as he jumped up the steps to the porch.

“Hi Booker-T,” said Jake.

“We were talking about Jake's new collar and tag with his picture on it,” said Midge. “And about the chip that my mistress had inserted into my neck for my protection if I'm lost or someone picks me up.”

“Oh yes, I know about those chips,” said Booker-T. “My mistress had one put in my neck too last month. I heard the vet tell her that it was for my protection and that it wouldn't hurt me to have it inserted.”

“That's cool Booker-T,” said Midge. “I'm glad she is taking good care of you.”

“She is good person,” said Booker-T. “Do you have a chip also Jake?”

“Not yet,” said Jake. “Right now, all I have is this new tag with all the information on it.”

“The chips have more information on them for a vet,” said Midge. “They have my name, address and my mistress's name and phone number and any health information. It also has my description on it and I think a picture of me.”

“That is cool,” said Jake. “Maybe I will get one next trip to the vet. My mistress takes me to the same vet that you go to.”

“Maybe your mistress is scared to put the chip in you,” said Midge.

“I know the vet and he will surely talk her into it,” said Booker-T. “He was pretty insistent with my mistress that the chip be put in.”

“Maybe,” said Jake. “I know my mistress loves me and don't want anything to happen to me, so maybe she will do it soon.”

“Oh sure Jake,” said Midge. “For now, your new collar and tag are nice.”

“They look real nice Jake,” smiled Booker-T. “My new collar is at the house. She only puts it on me when she takes me to the vet or to visit someone with me. The rest of the time I wear this old collar. She doesn't want me to get the new one messed up.”

“She is smart,” laughed Jake. “She knows you like to roll in the dirt.”

“Are we going to the park to play or not this morning?” asked Booker-T changing the subject.

“Yes,” answered Midge. “Come on Jake, you can play in your new collar can't you?”

“Yes,” said Jake as he hurried down the steps ahead of Midge and Booker-T. “Lets go.”

The three hurried along the sidewalk to the corner where they crossed the street into the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T