Monday, April 15, 2013

Midge and the New Friend


“Hey Jake!” called Midge as she strolled through the front gate into the yard. “What are you doing?”

“Hi Midge,” said Jake as he sat up and walked to the porch edge. “I was napping.”

“Jake, you are always napping,” laughed Midge.

“I know and in the hot weather I nap even more,” said Jake. “It is too hot to do anything else and the hot air makes me sleepy.”

“I know,” agreed Midge. “I feel the same way sometimes.”

“Who is that with you Midge?” asked Jake.

“This is Misty,” said Midge. “She just moved in next door to Booker-T and I yesterday evening. I invited her to come with me to meet you and Booker-T.”

“Hi Misty,” greeted Jake. “Welcome to the neighborhood. Glad you came along with Midge this morning.”

“Hi Jake,” smiled Misty. “Midge told me a lot about you and Booker-T. I saw Booker-T last night sitting on his front porch, but I didn't talk to him yet.”

“He should be here soon,” said Midge. “We all go to the park to play about this time every morning unless one of us has to go to the vet with our owners.”

“That sounds like fun,” said Misty. “I love to play in the park.”

“Do you like it here?” asked Jake.

“Yes,” answered Misty. “It is a pretty neighborhood. It is smaller than the one I used to live in.”

“Where did you live before?” asked Jake.

“She lived in Wedgebrook Park,” said Midge.

“Oh wow,” said Jake. “That is an expensive place to live. I heard about that area, but have never seen it.”

“It is pretty there,” said Misty. “My owner's mom and dad live there. My owner bought a small house near Midge and we moved in yesterday.”

“Hope you will be happy here,” said Jake.

“I think so,” said Misty. “The house is nice and the neighborhood is nice. And Midge was nice to me when I came outside.”

“Midge loves everyone,” said Jake. “She is good.”

“Thanks Jake,” said Midge. “I try to be nice to everyone.”

“I know,” said Jake. “Is your owner at work today?”

“She works at home,” answered Misty.

“Oh, that is good,” said Midge. “She is always there with you. Does she care if you go tot he park with us?”

“In mornings she likes me to be outside and not bother her,” said Misty. “She does her conference call with her boss in the mornings so she doesn't want me being in the way.”

“Okay,” said Jake. “that is good. You can spend your mornings with us.”

“Here comes Booker-T,” said Midge.

They all looked toward the street to see Booker-T strolling along the sidewalk.

Booker-T hurried up the steps to join Jake and Midge. “Wow, aren't you my new neighbor?” asked Booker-T.

“Yes,” answered Misty. “I saw you when I was moving in next door to you.”

“I saw you too,” said Booker-T. “Sorry I didn't say hello but I thought I would let you get settled in before I walked over there to see you.”

“It's okay,” said Misty. “I meet Midge late last night in the back yard.”

“She is always ready to meet anyone as soon as she sees them,” laughed Jake. “She won't wait long before she goes to meet them.”

“I know how lonely it can be in a new place,” said Midge. “So I try to be nice to people and let them know they are welcomed to the area and can join me and my freinds to have fun.”

“Thank you Midge,” said Misty. “I think I am going to really like being here. It is really good to meet you all.”

“We have a couple other friends you will meet soon,” said Midge. “We all have fun together.”

“I never had a dog friend before,” said Misty. “I only had cat friends before.”

“We play with everyone here,” said Midge. “Once in a while someone will move in that gives us a problem, but we always manage to fix the problem and we all get along with each other.”

“That is great,” replied Misty.

“Midge helped me get my home,” said Booker-T. “I was living in the alley behind the neighborhood cafe and Midge fixed it so the lady next door to her took me in.”

“Oh that is nice Midge,” said Misty.

“Thanks,” said Midge. “I don't like to see anyone without a home.”

“I don't either,” said Misty. “It is sad when I see someone out on the streets with no where to go and no friends. Am glad I will be part of your friendship group.”

“You met Jake and Booker-T now,” said Midge. “Later you will meet Susie. She is a cat also and then there is Gabby. Gabby is a very talkative blue jay.”

“Oh wow,” said Misty with a surprised look. “You are friends with a bird?”

“Oh yes,” said Booker-T. “Midge has taught us to all be friends no matter what we are.”

“That is great Midge,” smiled Misty.

“Down at the pond in the park, we are friends with Snappy,” said Jake. “Snappy is a green turtle who lives at the pond. He loves us to come play with him. We will see him when we go to the park.”

“That is so good,” said Misty. “The dogs, cats and birds in the old neighborhood were not like you all are. The cats wouldn't play with the dogs and if not careful, they would eat the birds.”

“I like being friends with everyone,” said Midge. “Booker-T has now learned it is much nicer to be friends with everyone.”

“Oh yes,” said Booker-T. “Midge has taught me a lot about friendship.”

“I am glad I moved in next door to you and Midge.

“We are glad you did too,” said Midge.

“Are we all ready to go to the park now?” asked Jake. “Snappy is waiting for us this morning.”

The four quickly went down the steps and out the gate headed to the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T