Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Spilled Food

Midge was curled up asleep at the foot of the bed when her owner's alarm clock started to ring. She jumped up and stretched and leaped down off the warm bed. Her owner went to the bathroom for shower and dressed in her work clothes. Midge had already gone downstairs and was talking to Gabby and Snappy when she came down the stairs.
"Come on Midge," said her owner. "I'll get you something to eat before I leave this morning. It is very early. You can go lay back down girl if you want."

Midge stood looking up at her with her big brown eyes and was wagging her tail. She waited for her owner to set the bowl of food and fresh water onto the mat. Midge was eating her food when she heard the front door open and close and in a couple minutes the car started. Midge ran for the living room window and peek out from behind the curtain. It was still dark outside, but Midge could see in the street light that the snow was starting to fall again.
"Oh my," thought Midge. "More snow falling. This winter has been a lot of snow."
"What are you looking at Midge?" asked Gabby who was now perched on the side of the basket he slept in.
"The snow is falling again," said Midge. "We have had a lot of snow this year, Gabby."
"I think spring is coming late," said Snappy. "I am so happy to be in here where it is warm.'
"Me too," said Gabby. "It was really nice of your owner to bring us in."
"She is nice," said Midge.
"Is Jake and Booker-T coming today?" asked Gabby.
"I think maybe they will," said Midge. "But I don't know if Susie will come with Booker-T this time again since the snow is falling. She don't like the snow."
"I don't either," said Snappy.. "It is too cold when it snows. I want Spring to come."
"Me too," agreed Midge. "Spring and the summer are nice outside and I can play outside and not get so cold feeling."
The three friends were sitting there chatting and watching the snow falling when the daylight came.
"Hey you guys!" called Jake as he came running into the living room.
"Jake!," said Midge. "Hi. Where's Booker-T?"
"I don't know," said Jake. "I just came on over here and didn't stop to see if he was home. Do you want me to run over and check on him?"
"No, that's okay," said Midge. "He will probably be here soon. You know Booker-T. Sometimes he likes to sleep in on the cold days."
"I know," said Jake. "Sometimes I do too. It is nice to just lay around and enjoy the warm bed."
"Ha ha ha Jake," laughed Midge. "You are always liking to sleep. You can get up in the morning and eat your breakfast and back to sleep."
"But it's okay," said Jake. "I am just a lazy kind of dog."
"That you are," said Midge.
"Hi all of you!" called Booker-T as he came bouncing through the house. "What are you all talking about?"
"How lazy Jake is sometimes," said Midge.
"Oh," said Booker-T. "But sometimes it is good to be lazy. I love to lay around and sleep."
"But you miss out on a lot of things when you just lay around," said Midge. "Don't you?"
"Maybe," said Jake. "But that's okay."
"How are you doing Gabby and Snappy?" asked Booker-T.
"It is nice here," smiled Snappy. "I really like my new home here."
"Me too," said Gabby. "But I am an outside bird so think I will have to go when Spring comes."
"Maybe you can show up on her doorstep when the next winter comes and she will let you come in and stay," said Booker-T.
"I can try," said Gabby. "Maybe if I huddle in the corner of the porch and shake a little she will bring me in."
"We can try it next time," said Midge. "She does give in easy when it comes to an animal. She is always ready to take care of them."
"You go something to eat Midge?' asked Booker-T.
"Didn't you eat breakfast?" asked Midge.
"I did," said Booker-T. "But you know me, I am always hungry."
"I know," said Jake. "I don't think you ever get filled up do you?"
"No," sighed Booker-T as he started toward the kitchen door. "What do you have Midge?"
They ran to the kitchen in search of something to eat, but the pantry door was shut where Midge's owner stores the food for her. Jake grabbed the knob and tried to twist it open. No luck. He tried three more times and the catch let go and the door swung open. "Oh wow, there is a big bag of food Midge." smiled Jake. "Your food is different than mine."
"I know," said Midge. "She just got that bag last night."
"And it is opened," said Booker-T. "Can we try it?"
They pulled at the top of the bag trying to pull o ut some food and the bag tipped over and food went all over he floor.
"Oh no!" cried Midge. "I will be in so much trouble when my owner gets home."
"We can push the door closed and maybe she will think the bag fell over by itself," said Jake.
"Come on Jake," said Booker-T. "We better go home."
"You are going to leave me with this mess?" asked Midge.
"We can't pick it up, but I will push the door shut for you," said Jake.
Jake pushed the door shut and they all ran to the living room. My owner won't be home for a while, "said Midge. "Can you stay for a little while and we can play."
"Sure," said Jake. "Do you know how to turn on the TV?"
"I know she pushes the button on that thing over there," said Midge pointing to the table near the sofa.
"Push it and let's see what happens," said Booker-T.
"This might not be a good idea," said Midge. "What if I mess it up?"
"Just pushing the button won't mess it up, will it?" asked Gabby.
"I don't know," said Midge. "I never pushed it before. She is the only one who turns on the TV."
"Try it," said Jake.
Midge reached up and gave the button a push. Nothing happened. "It's not working,"
"Push it again," said Booker-T.
Midge tried again and still nothing happened. "Oh, I think I know why. I think my owner holds it and points that end at the TV so it comes on. I can't pick it up. Maybe if I turn the end to face the TV it will work."
Midge turned the remote so the end was facing the TV and pushed the button again. Success! The TV came on. They each curled up on the sofa to watch the TV. Jake fell asleep and before long they were all napping in front of the TV. Soon, the sound of the cuckoo clock made Midge jump up. "Oh my, won't be long and my owner will be home."
"We better go Booker-T," said Jake. "Don't forget to turn off the TV Midge."
"Bye you guys," said Midge. "I will see you tomorrow, but no more getting into my food."
"Okay Midge," smiled Jake. "Bye."
Jake and Booker-T hurried out the doggie door and ran home leaving Midge with the fallen bag of food in the closet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T