Friday, October 10, 2014

Snappy's New Look

Hey Midge!” called Booker-T as he stepped onto the porch. “Where are you?”
Hi Booker-T,” said Midge as she came running around the house. “I'm here. You are early this morning.”
I know,” said Booker-T. “I came over to see Snappy before we go to Jake's house.”
Snappy will love to see you,” said Midge turning to go back to the backyard. “Come on.”
The two hurried into the backyard and Booker-T followed Midge though the doggie door. They crossed the kitchen and entered the living room where Snappy's tank sat on a table near the front window.
Hi Snappy,” said Booker-T as he leaped into the chair near the table. “How are you doing?”

Hi there Booker-T,” greeted Snappy. “I'm really loving my new home here and my new owner changes it sometimes so it is like being in a new home once in a while. It is great.”
I'm so happy you have a nice home,” smiled Booker-T. “It was so nice of Midge to help you get the new home and it will be so nice and warm when winter comes.”
I think winter is on it's way,” said Snappy. “What are you doing this morning?”
Midge and I are going to Jake's house in a few minutes,” said Booker-T. “Do you miss playing in the pond?”
Oh no, not really,” said Snappy. “Sometimes I miss playing with you all at the pond. But in the winter, it is a cold place to live.”
Do you see what our owner did to Snappy's tank yesterday?” asked Midge.
Do you like my new home?” asked Snappy. “See what she did?”
Booker-T peaked over the top of the tank and looked around the tank. “Oh yes,” smiled Booker-T. “It really looks nice now. She made it look like you are at the seashore.”
He even has a nice little beach to play in next to the water,” said Midge. “I think she did good.”
Have you ever been to the seashore Midge?” asked Booker-T.
I went once with my owner,” said Midge. “It was a lot of sand and water and some kind of strange looking trees that had some kind of big balls in the tops of them. I think my owner called them coconuts.”
I never saw one of those trees,” said Booker-T. “Do we have any like that here somewhere?”
I don't think so,” said Midge. “I never saw one around here. I think they maybe only grow where it is warm all the time.”
Maybe one day my owner will take me to the seashore so I can see the funny looking trees and play in the sand,” said Booker-T.
Tell Jake to come and see me,” said Snappy. “I enjoy it when you all visit me.”
I will tell him,” smiled Midge. “I know he will come to see you soon.”
And you would be right,” said Jake as he crossed the living room. “Hi Snappy.”
I didn't hear you calling outside,” said Midge. “When did you get here?”
I just got here,” said Jake. “I was waiting for you at the house and when you didn't come, I decided to walk over here to find you. I hope you don't mind that I just came on in.”
Oh no, Jake,” said Midge. “No problem. Anytime my owner is not here, you can come in and visit with Snappy. I think I can trust you to be in my house alone with Snappy.”
Thanks Midge,” said Jake. “You know I will not do anything bad here.”
I know you wouldn't,” smiled Midge. “I know Snappy will be happy to see you all the time.”
Wow, Snappy,” said Jake. “I like your new look. Your home looks like you moved to the seashore. That is great. Do you like it?”
Oh yes,” said Snappy. “This is nice. I hope she will leave it like this for a while. She is always changing my home and making it look different when she cleans it out. I like the sand.”
What do you do all day?” asked Jake. “We miss you at the pond when we go.”
I miss playing with all of you too, but winter is coming again and it will be really cold at the pond,” said Snappy. “I swim in my little pond in here and sit on the log and I can see out the window over there if I sit on top of the rock.”
Sounds like you have peaceful days,” said Booker-T. “I like lazy days.”
Sleeping is your pastime Booker-T,” laughed Jake.
Sleeping is good for you,” said Booker-T. “I like to run and play too, but when I'm done playing I like to rest.”
Changing that subject, would you like to go to the seashore Jake?” asked Midge.
I don't know anything about the seashore so I don't know if I want to go or not,” said Jake. “But if it looks a little like what Snappy has in his tank home, I think it would be a nice place to go.”
The water is fun to play in and there was water as far as you could see when my owner and I went last year,” said Midge. “The sand was fun to run on but in the hot sun, the sand got really hot on my little feet. I had to sit on the blanket a lot or go into the water to cool off.”
The sand gets hot?” asked Booker-T.
Sure,” said Midge. “When the sun is shining on it. Like our sidewalk gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter.”
I think we need shoes,” said Jake. “Why don't dogs wear shoes?”
I see some dogs sometimes with shoes,” said Midge. “My owner's sister puts shoes on her little dog when she takes him for a walk.”
I guess humans forget that our little feet get hot and cold too,” said Jake.
My friend had some little shoes and she didn't like them,” said Booker-T. “She walked funny when her owner put them on her.”
Why did she walk funny?” asked Midge.
She said the shoes didn't feel good and she would shake her feet each time she moved them,” said Booker-T. “I think she was trying to shake them off.”
Oh,” sighed Midge. “I wore shoes once and they do feel funny on my feet.”
That is because we aren't used to wearing shoes like our owners do,” said Jake.
Did your feet ever get cold or hot when you were living at the pond?” asked Midge.
Yes, but when they got hot on the grass or rocks, I would jump in the water and cool them off,” said Snappy. But in winter, the water was cold too so nothing helped.”
Now you don't have to worry about it anymore,” smiled Midge.
Thanks to you for that,” said Snappy.
Enjoy your seashore,” said Jake. “We will be back later to see you. Come on lets go to the park for a little while.”
The three told Snappy good-bye and headed to the back door.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T