Thursday, July 16, 2015

New Zoo Animals

 “Those were really big monster animals,” said Midge as the three walked along the sidewalk on their way to the zoo holding building.
I know it,” said Booker-T. “I hope they never come here to our city. They are so big that they could step on our houses and crush them.”
Do you think they will ever come here?” asked Midge.
I don't know,” said Jake shaking his head. “I hope not. Maybe Gabby knows. He knows everything.”
Do you think he knows where these big monster animals live?” asked Booker-T.

Hi might,” said Jake. “We can ask him when we see him again.”
Why didn't you ask him when he was at the display?” asked Midge.
I didn't think of it when we were there,” said Jake. “And when that big green monster animal moved his head and roared, I totally forgot to ask him. I know they are statues of the animals but when that one moved it sure scared me.”
Me too,” said Midge. “I was ready to run. I did jump back.”
I thought for sure that big monster was going to get me,” said Booker-T. “It scared me too when it moved and made that loud noise.”
Gabby didn't stay around too long at the display,” said Jake. “He was in a hurry to go.”
Maybe he is scared of the monster animals,” suggested Midge.
But these are just statues of them,” said Booker-T. “He don't need to be afraid of them.”
He left after that big green one roared and moved his head,” said Jake. “We all were scared when that happened.”
Was Gabby going to come to the zoo place with us?” asked Midge.
I don't know,” said Jake. “I didn't ask him.”
Look up there,” said Booker-T. “Gabby is sitting up there on the building.”
Hey Gabby!” called Jake as they walked up to the front gate of the zoo building.
Hi guys,” said Gabby. “I heard you talking about coming to the zoo.”
Hi Gabby,” said Midge. “Did that big green monster animal scare you when he suddenly moved and roared?”
I was sitting on his head when he moved and made that awful noise,” said Gabby. “I didn't know they moved.”
He is scary,” said Booker-T.
Do you know where the real monster animals live?” asked Midge. “I hope they won't come to our city. They are so big.”
I don't think there are any of these animals living on earth anymore,” said Gabby.
How do you know?” asked Jake. “Maybe they are long way from us.”
Did you see the big poster near the statues?” asked Gabby. “It called them dinosaurs and said they were extinct.”
Extinct?” asked Midge. “Is that bad?”
What is this thing, extinct?” asked Booker-T. “Is that the kind of dinosaur they are?”
No,” said Gabby. “Extinct means that they are gone. No longer living.”
Oh wow,” said Jake. “What happened to them?”
I don't know,” said Gabby. “It said they lived millions of years ago.”
Wow,” said Midge. “They are old monsters.”
Can they come back someday?” asked Booker-T.
I don't think so,” said Gabby. “Lets go in and see the animals here.”
The three walked inside as Gabby flew down and landed on one of the cages.
Look,” said Midge. “The elephant and the monkeys are gone now.”
So are the meerkats and the giraffe,” said Jake. “They have some new ones today.”
That cage is empty right now,” said Midge. “Lets go see the new animals.”
Wow,” said Booker-T. “Look at that pretty white animal in the corner. He's big and pretty white.”
What kind of animal is he?” asked Midge.
He's a polar bear,” said Gabby. “Polly and I saw three of them at the big main zoo across town.”
Maybe this one is going there too,” said Jake. “He is a big animal.”
I've seen brown bears before but I never saw a white one,” said Booker-T.
What is that animal over there?” asked Midge. “He's big too.”
That's a gorilla,” said Gabby. “They act humans sometimes”
Oh wow,” said Jake. “An animal that acts like a human. That is different.”
Why?” asked Booker-T. “We act like humans too, don't you think?”
We do,” agreed Gabby. “But this is different. He uses his hands like a human but we don't do that.”
Oh,” said Midge. “He is big too.”
I like that animal,” said Booker-T. “He looks like a horse. But he has stripes like a tiger.”
But he is black and white,” said Midge.
There are white tigers too,” said Gabby. “But that is what they call a zebra.”
He's pretty,” said Jake. “I like horses. Is a zebra some kind of horse?”
I don't know,” said Gabby. “But maybe he is. He looks a lot like a horse.”
I like him,” said Midge. “Lets go see the new animals.”
Oh wow,” said Booker-T. “Isn't that a lion over there in that other corner?”
Yes, I think so,” said Midge. “Don't they call the lion the king of the jungle?”
They do,” said Gabby. “Do you know what a jungle is Jake? I don't think I ever saw a jungle.”
I don't know,” said Jake. “It must be where the lion lives.”
Do you think any of these other animals live in a jungle?” asked Booker-T.
Maybe,” said Midge.
The polar bear don't live in a jungle,” said Gabby. “I read on the plaque at the zoo that they live where it is cold with snow and ice.”
Maybe he is homesick,” said Midge. “Do you think they get homesick Jake?”
You get homesick when you are gone away don't you?” asked Booker-T.
Yes,” agreed Midge. “I guess they do too. But now they live in cages. That is sad.”
Remember Snappy is from the pond in the park,” said Jake. “And now he is in a kind of cage and is much happier. Maybe these animals are happy where they are. When we go in and see them, you can ask them.”
I will,” said Midge. “Come on lets to see them. I want to know what their names are.”
Okay,” laughed Jake. “You always want to talk to everyone.”
I know,” smiled Midge. “I like to know who they are.”
The three entered the zoo and started visiting with the new animals.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T