Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Cartoon World

Here I come to save the day,” sang Jake as he skipped along the sidewalk and came through the gate at Midge's house.
What are you singing?” laughed Midge. “Does the day need saving?”
My owner turned on the TV and there was a cartoon on,” smiled Jake. “There was a mouse with a cape on and he was singing the song.”
A mouse is going to save the day?” asked Midge. “What kind of mouse is he?”
He is a mighty mouse,” said Jake.
A mighty mouse?” questioned Midge. “A mouse is very small. How can he be mighty?”

I don't know,” said Jake shaking his head.
Did you see him?” asked Midge.
I saw him on the TV,” said Jake. “He was a mouse with a cape and guess what he can do?'
What?” asked Midge.
He can fly,” said Jake.
A flying mouse?” laughed Midge. “Oh my. I wonder if Gabby every met a flying mouse when he's been flying around.”
He has a girlfriend too,” said Jake.
Can she fly too?” asked Midge.
Who is flying?” asked Booker-T as he joined Midge and Jake in the front yard.
The mouse's girlfriend,” said Midge.
What mouse?” asked Booker-T. “I've never seen any mouse that can fly. Where did you see him?”
Jake saw him on TV,” said Midge.
Where does this mouse live?” asked Booker-T. “Is he here so we can go see him?”
I don't think we can go see him,” said Jake.
Why?” asked Booker-T. “I want to see this flying mouse. Do you know where he lives?”
In TV land,” laughed Jake.
He lives in TV land?” asked Booker-T.
The place is a cartoon,” said Midge.
A cartoon?” asked Booker-T. “Where is cartoon?”
You don't know what a cartoon is?” asked Midge.
No,” said Booker-T. “I don't know.”
It is on TV,” said Midge. “Your owner don't put on any cartoons?”
I don't think so,” said Booker-T. “What are they?”
They are little like short movies on TV,” said Jake. Some are flat moving drawings and some look like 3D pictures.”
I never saw one,” said Booker-T. “I see movies when my owner has one on, but I don't think they are cartoons.”
Do you want to see what they look like?” asked Jake.
Sure,” said Booker-T. “Can we go to your house and see one?”
We can see one here if you want,” said Jake.
I don't have cartoons here,” said Midge.
Everyone can see cartoons on their TVs,” said Jake. “Lets go in the house and I will show you.”
The three hurried around to the back of the house and entered the house through the doggie door. They quickly went to the living room where the TV sat.
Where is your TV remote?” asked Jake looking around the room.
Are you going to watch TV?” asked Snappy from his tank.
Hi Snappy,” said Midge. “We are going to see what a cartoon looks like.”
Can I see it too?” asked Snappy coming to the side of the tank and pressing his nose against the glass.
Sure,” smiled Midge.
We need the remote,” said Jake.
Wait,” said Midge as she started to go through the door to the bedroom. “I think my owner took it to the bedroom.”
She don't keep it with the TV?” asked Jake.
Sometimes she has it in her hands and forgets and carries it with her to the bedroom,” said Midge.
In a few minutes, Midge came back through the door. “Here it is,” said Midge.
Set it on the table and point it to the TV,” said Jake.
He took his nose and pressed it on the buttons til he got the TV to come on. They all stood there staring at the TV screen.
That's not a cartoon,” said Midge.
I know,” said Jake. “Wait a minute and I will find the cartoon station.”
There is a cartoon station?” asked Midge looking puzzled.
Is that where the mouse lives?” asked Booker-T.
Yes to both of you,” smiled Jake as he kept pushing the buttons on the remote.
I am what I am,” came a strange voice from the TV. “And that's all that I am. I'm popeye the sailor man.”
Oh,” said Midge as she tilted her head side to side. “Popeye?”
Who is that?” asked Booker-T.
I don't know,” said Jake staring at the TV. “He has funny looking arms but I don't see any popping eyes.”
I don't see his eyes popping either,” said Booker-T walking close to the TV. “Who is that?”
He said he was popeye,” said Jake.
Is he in cartoon land too?” asked Midge.
I think so,” said Jake. “He looks like he is in cartoon land.”
This is a cartoon?” asked Midge.
I think so,” said Jake. “But I don't see the flying mouse.”
Maybe he left the cartoon land,” said Booker-T.
I don't think they can leave,” said Jake. “Cartoons are like other shows but they look different.”
They look like drawings that are moving,” said Midge. “They look pretty cool.”
I don't know when the mouse will be back,” said Jake. “We can stay home and watch the cartoons for a while. Maybe he will come back on here so we can see him.”
Popeye is funny,” laughed Booker-T. “He has funny arms.”
Who is that really skinny girl?” asked Midge.
I don't know,” said Jake. “Lets watch and see if he says her name.”
They sat staring at the screen the funny looking people on the screen.
Oh wow,” said Midge. “Her name is Olive Oil. Funny name.”
Maybe she likes Olives,” said Jake.
Soon the cartoon called Popeye ended.
Is it all done?” asked Booker-T.
This one is,” said Jake. “Wait, lets see what else comes on the screen.”
Okay,” said Booker-T turning back to stare at the screen.
Suddenly a mouse flew across the screen.
Look!” said Jake. “That is the mouse.”
Wow,” said Midge. “He can fly.”
That is so cool,” said Booker-T. “I want to go see him.”
I don't think we can go to Cartoon land,” said Jake. “We can only see him on the TV.”
He's not real?” asked Midge.
“No,” said Jake. “He only lives inside the TV.”
Wow,” said Midge. “These are fun. We have to watch cartoons sometimes. I like them.”

The three went to the sofa and leaped up and sat down to watch the cartoons on the TV screen.  

1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T