Thursday, September 10, 2015

The New Neighbor

 “Hey Midge!” called Jake as he entered the house through the doggie door at the back of the house. “Where are you?”
Hi Jake,” greeted Midge as she entered the kitchen. “What are you doing here so early?”
My owner left for work early today so I walked on over here,” said Jake. “I saw your owner leaving.”
She just left for work,” smiled Midge. “Come on in and say hi to Snappy.”
Jake followed Midge into the living room. “Hi Snappy,” called Jake as he entered the room.
Hi Jake,” said Snappy as he came up and pressed his nose to the side of the glass. “What are you doing this morning?”
I came to say hi,” said Jake. “We miss having you at the pond when we go to swim.”

I miss being there sometimes,” said Snappy. “But I sure like my new home here where the temperature isn't too hot and it not too cold.”
I know,” agreed Jake. “The really cold weather was so hard on you.”
Are you and Midge going to the park?” asked Snappy.
Maybe,” said Midge. “We will check with Booker-T and see if he wants to go and then decide. Winter will be here soon and will be too cold to swim in the water.”
My little pond in here in the tank is nice and warm all the time,” said Snappy. “I like it a lot.”
Jake will have his own pond soon,” said Midge.
You are getting a pond?” asked Snappy.
No,” said Jake shaking his head. “It is a fountain.”
A fountain?” asked Snappy. “Is that different than a pond?”
It won't be big enough for us to swim in,” said Jake. “We can get our little feet wet but that's all.”
It will be good for Gabby,” said Midge. “It will be just the right size for him to splash around in.”
That will be nice,” smiled Snappy. “When are you going to get a fountain?”
I think the workers are supposed to come next week to build it,” said Jake.
Where is Booker-T?” asked Snappy. “Is he coming over to see me?”
I haven't seen Booker-T this morning yet,” said Midge. “I think he will be here.”
Think something happened to him?” asked Jake.
I don't know,” said Midge. “Do you want to go check on him?”
We will be right back Snappy,” said Jake as he turned to leave.
Midge followed Jake out the door and hurried to Booker-T's house. “Hey Booker-T!” called Jake. “Where are you?”
No one answered.
Booker-T!” called Midge as she walked toward the back of the house. She peered around the corner but didn't see him there. “He's not back here Jake.”
Lets walk to the corner of the street,” said Jake.
Do you think he might have gone that way?” asked Midge.
See that Moving van up there at that corner house,” said Jake. “You know Booker-T. Nosy.”
Ha ha,” laughed Midge. “Maybe he is checking it out. Okay, lets go.”
They walked to the corner. As they neared the house, they heard what sounded like Booker-T.
Hey!” called the voice. “Anyone out there? Help!”
Jake got close to the back end of the van and listened. “Booker-T? Is that you in there?”
I'm in here Jake!” called Booker-T. “Can you get me out of here?”
What are you doing in there?” asked Midge.
Just get me out,” said Booker-T. “It is dark in here.”
How are we going to get him out of there?” asked Midge.
Lets start barking at the truck and maybe someone will come and open the doors,” said Jake.
The two started barking and jumping up and down. Looked around and saw no one.
Hmmm,” said Midge. “How are we doing to get someone to come?”
Start barking again,” said Jake.
They started barking at the back door again. They leaped at the back. Soon someone came out of the house. The man was wearing a brown uniform and walked to the truck. “Hey you two!” called the man. “What are you doing?”
Jake stood on his hind legs and barked at the truck. “Booker-T,” said Jake. “Start meowing.”
Booker-T started meowing and soon the man heard the faint meows coming from the back of the truck as Booker-T started scratching at the inside of the truck door.
The man reached in his pocket and pulled out a set of keys. He opened the back door and Booker-T leaped out from the back. “Oh wow,” said the man. “How did you get in there?”
Jake and Midge looked up at the man and barked. “I guess you two knew he was in there.”
They wagged their tails at him and Booker-T rubbed against his leg. He reached down and patted them each on the head and then turned to go back into the house.
Wow Booker-T,” said Jake. “What were you doing in the truck?”
I saw the truck being unloaded so came to see who was moving in,” said Booker-T. “There is a little white cat who went into the house.”
Did you get to talk to the cat?” asked Midge.
No,” said Booker-T. “I don't think she saw me.”
How do you know it is a girl cat?” asked Jake.
I guess I really don't yet til she talks to me,” said Booker-T. “She looks a lot like Susie but I didn't get a good look.”
That would be nice if it was Susie,” said Midge.
Come on, lets go the house and talk to Snappy,” said Jake. “Then we can go to the park for a little while.”
I guess we can,” said Booker-T. “Maybe she will come out later and I will know.”
You can wait,” laughed Midge. “No more getting into trucks. If we didn't come looking for you, don't know how long you would have sat in there in the dark.”
I know,” said Booker-T. “It was too dark in that truck.”
Don't get in one again,” said Jake.
Okay,” said Booker-T. “Lets go and we can watch for the white cat to come outside and then try to talk to her.”
Good idea,” agreed Midge.
If it is Susie,” said Jake. “She will probably come see you after they get moved in.”
That's true,” said Booker-T. “Do you think she will remember me?”
I think so Booker-T,” said Midge. “Lets go to the house.”

The three walked back to Midge's house and went to the living room to talk with Snappy.

2 comments:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T